"organic" fabric >

"organic" fabric

"organic" fabric

Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 AM

Has anyone bought and or used Bamboo fabric for their quilts
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Well said!

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Drought conditions in the US have pretty much nothing to do with the price of quilting cottons, nor does the price of raw cotton for that matter. The price of raw cotton, in fact is dropping like a rock...and has been since it's peak in March 2011. It's down 45% for the last year (7/11-6/12), down 19% for the last six months (1/12-6/12), and down another 20% in July. Today's price per pound is less than the July 2007 price.
http://www.indexmundi.com/commoditie...tton&months=60

Quilting cotton prices are affected by the value of the US dollar; the growing conditions in China, Pakistan and India; the duties placed on imports; the reduced number of print mills; all kinds of worldwide factors. Quilting fabric is neither milled nor printed in the US any longer. You have to look at the much bigger picture.

This article dates back to the high point last year, but the scope of the market remains the same.
http://www.americanquiltretailer.com..._Customers.pdf

Please note, I am not 'dismissing' any US drought conditions as unimportant, for clearly their impact on many millions of citizens is and will continue to be enormous in ways we don't even grasp yet. I just don't see how the price of a yard of Moda Marbles has anything at all to do with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Yep the rising cost of fabric is due to a very very large number of factors, the drought (which is affecting many parts of the world, IIRC, not just the US) being just one factor.

I personally don't much care about organic fabric vs. regular fabric, although I am perfectly willing to spend the extra money on organic foods, especially certain foods. For fabric, the look and feel of the fabric is more important to me, especially since someone already mentioned- I'm not washing the stuff in organic detergent!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Has anyone bought and or used Bamboo fabric for their quilts
I have tried the bamboo batting (it was on sale for 50% off once) and I didn't like it. It was too stiff for me, I'm sticking to (non-organic) cotton batt.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by dogsgod View Post
I realize it's all about the processing and everything, but I think people are going overboard with all this, unless they and theirs live in a bubble, they will run into undesirable things. Just seemed crazy to me to spend that much for fabric which will probably be washed in non organic detergent sooner or later!
I agree with you. And to digress (but in a related note -- kind of)... I think one reason kids nowadays have so much asthma & food allergies & the like is stuff like this (plus the hand sanitizer craze). If you're never exposed to germs, you never develop immunity to them. Yes, I know you can go overboard, but sheesh! Some of my DD's friends' babies might as well live in hamster balls!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I agree with you. And to digress (but in a related note -- kind of)... I think one reason kids nowadays have so much asthma & food allergies & the like is stuff like this (plus the hand sanitizer craze). If you're never exposed to germs, you never develop immunity to them. Yes, I know you can go overboard, but sheesh! Some of my DD's friends' babies might as well live in hamster balls!
Exactly!! And it's not just you that has that opinion...lots and lots of medical professionals do as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:01 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If organic cotton were not so expensive for my social security income, and IF I could also easily buy t-shirts and slacks in it, I'd go all organic cotton.

My concern is that cotton farming is so hard on the land. It's my understanding that the defoliant used on the plants in the fields before the cotton bolls are picked is present in the soil for many, many decades after it is used. It seeps into our aquifers too. That is worrisome in my opinion.

Jan in VA
Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I bought a set of organic cotton sheets. LOVE THEM! DH who never comments on sheets much less fabric said they sure were nice to sleep on and for me to keep using the detergent I was using. LOL. I said they were new sheets not new detergent, he never noticed they were new sheets. (I buy the same color sheet sets so he has an excuse to be clueless.) I haven't seen any organic cotton quilt fabric but it it feels like these sheets I'll buy it to make pjs and pillowcases and especially baby quilts.