Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organization ideas? >

Organization ideas?

Organization ideas?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM

I have a small closet under my stairs that I can keep all my quilting stuff, including my small stash in. I have noticed, after collecting fabrics for a couple years, I now have a couple good sized bags full of fabric. I bought some of those littler plastic tubs and organized my scraps today. I have more than I thought! But it is all 8 years of my quilting stashed in there.

I was blessed by someone who sent me one large bag of fabric a few years ago. I hit a couple good garage sales and some of Hancock's 90% sales tables. I have some that is anywhere from 1-3 yards, certainly not enough to wrap on a bolt and too big to put in my scrap tubs.

Do you guys have any ideas how to get them organized? I want to try arranging them by color, but all I have are some walmart bags and a couple big Joann sacks as options. I just don't know what I need to buy to keep them separated.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 PM

I fold them and arrange by color on shelves. I have heard that plastic bags are not a good way to store fabric. :lol:
Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM

ideally after trial and error I collected clear plastic bins. you can fold the fabrics just to fit particular boxes. Maybe start with colors, holidays,seasons, floral,plaid,stripes etc. Instead of writing on the bin, use an index card labeled and put in the frontof the bin. I am sure if you search for organization above on the search, you will fet some ideas. but the best organizer of all has to be qbeth with her great find.
I use a half closet, My DH put in shelves. and he did the same to another closet when I expanded. good luck
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Shelves or for myself wht I prefer ( and slowly working towards) is the plastic drawers they have now.. The totes clear or otherwise just didnt work for me. I hated that I had to move them around and stack and restack to see what I had.. with the drawers I fold the fabric into small enough to stand on end... then I simply pull out a drawer and can see what I have, and they stay dust free.
I prefer to separate my fabric by holiday, then color. If I happen to have bought a "collection" I do try to keep those together.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM

how big is your area????
maybe a shelf can fit or stackable bins
use clear bins and label much easier to access w/o opening all boxes
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM

I used baskets for a long time and storted by color, now I have an oak cabinet with 2 doors and not real deep, so I stack it by color, works great for me.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 PM

I need to re-organize and probably find new homes for a good chunk of my stash. We just bought a new place and I have so many plastic bins of fabric and a smaller area to keep them in. Breaks my heart. :(
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 AM

I organize mthly and it seems to all get out of order and all over the place...so it's constant reorganizing
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

This is how my room is organized..

These are in tubs no matter what size they are:
Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a sterilite three drawer unitl seperated by light med dark..
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a sterilite drawer all of its own
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
4 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Melissa,
I fold my yardage selvedge to selvedge and then roll it around my big ruler and fold it in half, this way all the yardage is folded the same and I can tell approximately how much of it I have by the thickness of the fold. I too sort by color and that is how I normally look for fabric, if you get one of the plastic tubs or those clear plastic drawers, you can just stack your yardage in them and store in the closet...this is what I do.I also leave the fold showing towards the front so I can actually tell what fabric it is without opening the drawers.

Hope you are doing well.