Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
organizing fabric color order or type? >

organizing fabric color order or type?

organizing fabric color order or type?

Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I put all my whites, off whites, blacks, white on whites, cream on cream and black on blacks together. Then I put all my solids together using Roy G. Biv (the order of the color spectrum: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) then my prints go on the shelves according to the color of the background or prominent color in the design, again using Roy G. Biv. All of my holiday fabrics are sorted by holiday but are all together in the same section of shelves. All my batiks are together as are my Asian prints. My child prints are together on another shelf. My striped fabrics are grouped together. All flannels and fleece are together also. The fabrics that I have slated for a project are grouped together on another shelf.
This is pretty much what I have done. Though I do have some small collections on display in the studio for decoration and inspiration.

Once I get some more of my groupings for quilts completed I am hoping to have much less material available. To that end I am putting aside fabrics I haven't used yet and am not planning to use for a project to give to a new quilter as a stash starter.

I am very fortunate in that I live near the largest quilt store in our state. Also, that LQS honors Joann's coupons up to 50%. So it is relatively easy to get what I want when I want it.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM

OK peeps - two questions (for now) - Where does BROWN fit into ROY G. BIV? (I've heard that orange/brown belong together) And where does AQUA/TURQUOISE fit into ROY G. BIV? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

To add to the conversation, I have a large number of pre-cuts and coordinating fabric for future projects (I'm too scared and/or embarrassed to actually count them). I purchased some ribbon today to bundle these projects up to A) keep the parts together and B) make them attractive so that I want to get to work on them sooner!! I'll let you know how well it works.

Last edited by peacefulquilting; 02-27-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by peacefulquilting View Post
OK peeps - two questions (for now) - Where does BROWN fit into ROY G. BIV? (I've heard that orange/brown belong together) And where does AQUA/TURQUOISE fit into ROY G. BIV? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

To add to the conversation, I have a large number of pre-cuts and coordinating fabric for future projects (I'm too scared and/or embarrassed to actually count them). I purchased some ribbon today to bundle these projects up to A) keep the parts together and B) make them attractive so that I want to get to work on them sooner!! I'll let you know how well it works.
I put browns before my reds. . . I put aqua/turquoise in whichever group they lend themselves to. If the look more blue, they go into the blue group or if the look more green, they go I the green group. . .
Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

YES---color, theme, style, type, size, collection-- all of these things play their part in the organization
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I keep all the flannels in one area, cottons in another and batiks in another. Knits in another. Then according to color hues light to dark. I do keep large prints like the ones for fussy cuts in another section. I also label. I don't really have as much as I've seen others on the board but I still like to keep the different textures in their own section. I use the comic boards and mark them flannel, knits, fussy cuts, etc. Also fleece, muslin, etc.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I have mine separated by type of fabric and then sub divided by color or shade

Watercolors are in three drawers:
light watercolors
medium watercolors
dark watercolors

Xmas are in three drawers:
Lights
Reds
Darks

Tonals: separated by color

Fabric such as Plaids, Kid prints and Patriotic all are in their individual drawers.

Whatever works for you that you can FIND what you are looking for is the best way to set up your stash !!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Where there is room.

By color, theme, and size.

Washed annd unwashed. I got behind on that.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
I guess that I am the real odd ball here then. I sort mine by size/yardage. Everything is visible and I know when I touch a fabric, exactly how much of it I have. Before I did this, I would find a fabric, fall in love and not have enough for what I wanted. So - sorting by quantity.
Jane, I was beginning to think that I'm the only one who sorts by size. I have mine ruler folded and in a plastic drawer unit with drawers for 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2 yds and then a bin for over 2yd. Works for me
Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Hi
What are comic boards and what is the "ruler method" ?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Now, understand, I have no stash - on purpose - except for leftovers that are just stuck in a couple of drawers. But I would suggest thinking about how your favorite LQS displays their fabric and if that works for you. Do they display by designer or by color or by theme? Mine has all batiks located in one section of the shop. Kid/novelties are grouped together in another section. Everything else is pretty much displayed by color regardless of designer/manufacturer.

When I shop for fabric it's for a specific project. I generally have an idea of what color I want my focus fabric and then work from there. Frequently I change my mind on the focus fabric - or at least it's color. I still start with that. I would think 'shopping from your stash' would follow the same principles unless you're just doing a total scrappy.

Just my suggestion from a 'non-stasher'.