Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing quilt patterns >

Organizing quilt patterns

Organizing quilt patterns

Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by debp33
Sounds like I might be one of the few that keep the entire magazine. I use tiny post it notes to hold the pages I want.

I have one of those metal spinning racks (like you find at the library for paperbacks or magazines) and store my magazines there.
I use the post it notes on my magazines; the magazines are stored by the specific magazine; by months; by years in clear magazine holders. Does it work? Looks nice but I don't seem to get back to the magazines and forgot the "beautiful quilts" on my wish list.

I also have pulled pages in plastic folders. Then I have downloaded patterns "wish list" to do in clear folder binders. Those are not printed in color and "have lost some of the grab" to do.

So I would say none of these are really working for me if I don't ever do anything but file.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 AM

I "file" mine in plastic craft boxes with file tabs listing name of pattern, etc. I then "stack" thes boxes in a closet and love to get them out every now and then. Mostly, then. lol
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 AM

I wish I could bring myself to do any of that...A friend had a quilter friend who asked if she knew anyone interested in quilting...she said yes...So the woman came by with 25 hardcover books and now wait for it I'm not kidding 4 shopping bags of Quilter's Newletter Mag going back to the early 80's -thru early 2000....I literally have gone thru all the mags and did the post it thing but like one of the ladies you forget what you wanted to do.
I'd love to just start tearing, binding and throwing out the rest of the mag, but I just don't have the heart to do that. So I cont. to go thru the mags again and again, then put them back in rubbermaid bins and store in the garage.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 AM

I think you can get 5" folders but I find that 3" folders are heavy once you fill them.

Limiting the number of binders is a great idea. (They're really big binders right? :wink: )

Thanks for the tips.[/quote]
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
I am in the process of doing this. I remove the pattern from the magazine, put it and any templates in a clear page protector and put it in a binder. I've divided mine only by type of item - quilt, wall hanging, bag, etc.

I do it in two parts. First I remove the pattern and put it in a pile, then in a week or so I go through the patterns again and usually end up realizing I don't want about half of them!

This is exactly what I do. I also go through the binders from time to time and give away/throw out patterns that no longer interest me.
I sort the binders by type of quilt or specialized fabric
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the great ideas -- I need to organize my patterns better.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 AM

I put all my patterns in sheet protectors and then in a binder. Never thought to sort them with dividers, will have to do that. I also have separate binders for projects finished, projects I want to do and blocks I want to try (3 binders).
Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 AM

My bought patterns are in binders by size. Then by type, like if its a christmas one its in the christmas section. and I did the same for the ones I have on a jump drive.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 AM

Great ideas - thanks! My pattern stash is beginning to become unmanageable. I'm going to try your idea on organizing on the computer with the ZZZ.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 AM

My patterns from magazines are in a binder in page protectors. I divide into sections of, pieced, appliqued, FMQ quilting patterns, and tips. Also have started a binder of pictures of the quilts I have made and am now keeping the thank you notes with them. :D