Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ott Light question >

Ott Light question

Ott Light question

Old 03-10-2020, 07:25 PM

I purchased two lamps that look like ott lamps but are cheap knockoffs For $20 each I had them for five years and are still going strong I have one st each of my reading chairs in the living room
in my swing studio I have shop lights in the ceiling that are 4800 lumen led lights no heat and boy for the lighting I have 6 in my ceiling and bright white metal ceiling and walls Talk about daylight Love sewing out there it is so bright
Old 03-10-2020, 07:43 PM

Knock on wood, my Ott lamps have held up over several years. The one I use the most is a clip on that goes on the handle of my machines and I can put the light exactly where I need it. It has a rocker type on off switch that DH had to work on, but it works fine now.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:08 PM

When you buy an Ott light - it's a coin toss if it's a good one or not. I had one go out and it was a fuse thing. I did write to them asking for assistance and was told to get an electrician. Ummm - No. For that kind of money I can buy something else. I went to IKEA and bought a floor lamp for $20.00 that works as well as the Ott. So as my Ott lights die - I have 3 more - they will be replaced with another brand. Somewhere I do have a bulb that came with one of the lamps. Just not sure where it is before the others go.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by lberna View Post
I love my Ott lamps. I have 3 of them. They must be about 15 years old. I have changed the bulbs and no further problems.
I too have two ott lights that I have had for a long time. Have never replaced bulb yet. Also have a couple different styles that I have picked up at garage sales. All seem to still work.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:15 AM

I have an Ott light and I love it. My second one quit working and needs repair so I went to Amazon for another one. I bought a Britech and it is really nice about 1/2 the cost of an Ott.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:55 PM

I appreciate all the input. Makes me think twice, that is for sure!
Old 03-11-2020, 03:32 PM
mkc

I haven't looked at Ott lights in depth, but isn't/wasn't their niche that they had full spectrum bulbs in them? Seems to me last time I was in Lowes or Home Depot there were some full spectrum fluorescent bulbs available in the lightbulb aisle. Would think that would give more options than simply an Ott-branded lamp.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM

I've not had good luck with Ott lights. But I have had a $25.00 floor LED light with daylight bulbs for 3 years. Picked it up at Walmart. It has the same quality of light as the Otts. This one is similar to what I have: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Natural-F...eneck/21346033 It also comes in a desk model.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:10 AM

thanks for the link, Belfrybat
Old 03-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Take the light bulbs to a/ the store, ask to try them in another lamp. If they don't work contact the company. I have heard a lot of problems with Otts lately on other boards.