Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ott-Lites

I have one and love it. It is easy to travel with along with quilt. I bought mine with the coupon from Joann's. Big savings. NJBarb

HURRY ! HURRY ! Full spectrum lamps on sale at local Big Lots. I could not believe it. I know I may be late, but it is worth a try. The floor lamp is $29.99 with an extra bulb...the table model is $24.99. the last ad I received for FirstStreet the lowest price is $49.99 .

Phone Big Lots to make certain they have them in stock. They tell me they are on sale until stock runs out. I do not know how long they have had them but they do appear in the on-line ad. The advantage is that you can take it back if you do not like it. Returning by mail can be a pain.

Check it out.

http://www.biglots.com/Furniture/category.aspx?cid=14

I hope this is helpful to someone. June

I am also a tole painter and have two portable lights (not sure of the name brands at this time) and they work well at classes. I also use one at my small cutting table when making quilts. I would like to purchase a floor model to use by my sewing machine. I get so hot using a regular lamp (my eyes aren't what they used to be) that I'm stripped down to a tank top. Are the larger Ott Lites cooler than a regular lamp?

I have the floor lamp and have not noticed it putting out that much heat but it has been cold ever since I got it so the heat would not be uncomfortable LOL ask me again this summer.
    kathy

Bev
    I have compared mine to another floor lamp I have with a regular bulb. Yes, the Ott lights are cooler. I live in "sunny" Florida and in the summer the regular lights are killers with the heat they put out. I always use an Ott now that I've got several.
    Bev 8)

I HAVE THE OTT LITE,I HAVE ,ONE THAT A FLOOR LAMP.I LOVE MINE TO QUILT BY OR READING.YOU CAN REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN DARK COLORS.LINDA,MS.

Kathy,

I have a small portable Ott. I got it at a screaming sale at JoAnn's. I have to say that I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but then I don't have a dedicated sewing space, like many of you,either.

When I do use it, I love it! It takes away the glare, doesn't 'blind' you like regular lights do, and when I am piecing or using a rotary cutter, it is invaluable for keeping glare off my fabric and board.

Lisa

I'm liking my OttLite more everyday. one thing is that I sit beside and a little in front of my husband when I quilt so the other lamp really bothered him watching TV, I can tilt this one slightly and it doesn't bother him at all. For me things are much clearer.
    kathy

I bought the ott floor model when I was doing a lot of counted cross stitch. I love it. I don't know that the brand makes as much difference as just the type of light it is. It helps me a lot when I am doing handwork and even at my machine now.
    Gay

I also found it not to be bright enough.,..But maybe I didnt buy one large enough... :?

yes you have to be sure to get the most wattage, I can't remember if mine is 25 or 40 but it's the most I saw. In a regular bulb 40 watts is nothing but these bulbs are so much different it's fine.

Try this site for full spectrum lighting with 42, 55 and 70 watt lights. I have a 55 watt light and I love it. It also has a dimmer control so you can use it from lowest to highest setting.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com

I have 2 Ott lights, one is a floor model and it is behnd my sewing machine. The other one is clamped to my cutting table. My son gave me a diffent brand, cheaper, and it is in our house in the mtns. I sew there too. I got a free daylight lamp, as it was called when I bought a new carpet sweeper, and it isn't nearly as good, but it was free so I can't complain. I find they all help. I wear glasses and it makes everthing a lot easier to see. I don't know how I ever sewed before I got them. The "free one" is perched on the floor by the ironing board. It isn't as good, but like I said, its better than not having one at all. I use my ironing board a lot since I do aplique using fusible webbing and it helps when picking out fabrics to use in projects. I haven't ad any problems with them.

Hi: Haven't been on lately but got your question. I have a tall floor model of the Ott light which I like very much, but I wanted a small table top one as well. I looked in the lamp department of my local supermarket for a small lamp but did not find one. However, I did find just what I was looking for in the children's area for desk equipment. It's perfect, only about 3-4" wide and about 10" tall with a flip-up light section. It's very small and compact but gives a good light directly on your machine stitching area. The best part of it is that it only cost me just under $8.00 including tax.
    Hope this helps you.

:thumbup: Kathy: I have a floor style Ott lamp and I like it very much, but I wanted a small table top (no clamp style) for when I move my sewing machine to my dinner table. I found a small one, about 3 1/2" x 10" with a flip up light that works very well to see the stitching area on your sewing machine. I tried looking in the lamp section of my local supermarket, but they didn't have one. However, I happened to go through the children's furnishings area and found just what I was looking for. It has a fluorescent bulb, is lightweight and fits perfectly on my machine top and is easy to move around. For anyone in the metro Detroit area I found it at Meijers. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    :idea: :idea:

:wink: Kathy: I forgot to tell you that I got a fabulous price on this little lamp from Meijers - it was under $8.00 including tax. I have been using this lamp and feel it was a real bargain.

Hi there,

My DIL got one for me because I have cataracts and have some blurred vision. It is absolutely wonderful. My is one that sits on the table and you just raise up the front and the light is so clear and bright. Couldn't live without it.

Jane Sisk
    Tucson, AZ

Just a reminder. The Full SPectrum lamps have a large 4 section tube in them and can be bought at Big Lots if they still have them in stock. Table lamp was about $25 and the floor model was $30 with an extra "bulb". Those tubes give a wonderful clear light. Phone your Big Lots to see if they are still carrying them. I liked my floor model so well, I bought a 2nd one to use in my sewing room (when it is finished!) I use one beside my recliner to read by. Wonderful and not expensive.

I have heard the one advertised in magazine is good as well. Has anyone here ordered one? At Big Lots there are no shipping charges!!

Buy one and save your eyesight!

June in Cincinnati

walmart and Lowes are now carrying ott :P

I have the Ott floor model with the magnifing glass. I love it. When I doing really tight stippling, the magnifing glass makes it a breeze. I also have a small portable one that I take with to workshops just in case their lighting is not the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2