Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ott-Lites >

Ott-Lites

Ott-Lites

Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 AM

I couldn't afford an Ott light so I bought a full spectrum spiral flourescent light to go in my lamp for about $8. I love it and can see alot more with it. My mother bought a light similar to an Ott and loves it because she can see so much better, but honestly, I can see just as well with my $8 lightbulb.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 PM

I have two ott-lites - one for my floor quilt frame to hand quilt and one by my chair to do hand applique. I really like mine. Ott-Lites were the only brand available when I got mine.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Bev

I bought my first Ott Light quite some time ago. It was a table lamp. I liked it so much that I then bought a floor light. Of course I waited for the 50% off sales at Joann's. I've been tremendously pleased with them. But, I then went a little crazy and bought a "craft lamp" (Ott), and it's really cheaply made. I've never been able to get it into the right position for my needs, and it falls over very easily. It's made of plastic, gosh knows why, which makes it flimsy. Just a warning...Ott lamps are great, but don't buy the craft one. The difference in the kind of light they give off is amazing. It's like being outside on a sunny day. I also recently bought a sort of gooseneck one for my bedside table for reading in bed. It's wonderful too. Very heavy and well balanced. Remember you never have to pay more than 50% of the full price. Joann's on-line has them on sale very frequently. I also wait until I have a free shipping coupon.
Bev in Florida 8)
Old 01-18-2007, 03:55 AM

Well I got my Ott-lite yesterday, with a 50% coupon from JoAnn's. Big differance. I didn't realize how yellow a regular lamp was. I didn't even have to use my bifocals. Now if I could just hit that lottery so I would have more time to enjoy it I'd be real happy. LOL
kathy
Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 AM

Yes, I have 2 Ott Lights. I bought the table models at JoAnn last year at the day-after Thanksgiving sale. Two for one. I have one on my sewing table to the back and left of the needle area. I love it for additional light for tired old eyes.

The 2nd lamp I put on my bedside table and use it for reading at night. It makes a clear, bright light that makes reading small print easier.

I saw an ad for firstStreet lamps and checked their website. they have a nice table lamp that I will consider buying for my living room. Has anyone bought any of these lamps???
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 AM

I have one and love it. It is easy to travel with along with quilt. I bought mine with the coupon from Joann's. Big savings. NJBarb
Old 01-20-2007, 09:48 AM

HURRY ! HURRY ! Full spectrum lamps on sale at local Big Lots. I could not believe it. I know I may be late, but it is worth a try. The floor lamp is $29.99 with an extra bulb...the table model is $24.99. the last ad I received for FirstStreet the lowest price is $49.99 .

Phone Big Lots to make certain they have them in stock. They tell me they are on sale until stock runs out. I do not know how long they have had them but they do appear in the on-line ad. The advantage is that you can take it back if you do not like it. Returning by mail can be a pain.

Check it out.

http://www.biglots.com/Furniture/category.aspx?cid=14

I hope this is helpful to someone. June
Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 AM

I am also a tole painter and have two portable lights (not sure of the name brands at this time) and they work well at classes. I also use one at my small cutting table when making quilts. I would like to purchase a floor model to use by my sewing machine. I get so hot using a regular lamp (my eyes aren't what they used to be) that I'm stripped down to a tank top. Are the larger Ott Lites cooler than a regular lamp?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 AM

I have the floor lamp and have not noticed it putting out that much heat but it has been cold ever since I got it so the heat would not be uncomfortable LOL ask me again this summer.
kathy
Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Bev

I have compared mine to another floor lamp I have with a regular bulb. Yes, the Ott lights are cooler. I live in "sunny" Florida and in the summer the regular lights are killers with the heat they put out. I always use an Ott now that I've got several.
Bev 8)