Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Our wal-mart is losing fabric :( >

Our wal-mart is losing fabric :(

Our wal-mart is losing fabric :(

Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stormy Days
Just before our Walmart closed their fabric section, they put all of the fabric on huge discount. Try to find out when they are actually closing and go then. You can really stock up and save a ton of money.
Yes you need to do just that. That is what our quilting club here in town did. Our local WM closed out their fabric line last spring we really tried everything to get them to keep it but to no avail others in town who did use the dept for reg. sewing and local teachers for classrooms tried to keep it open as well. They were the only source of fabric within a 80-90 mile radius for us and others in small communites around. Now they carry precut yard or so , no fat quarters, very little batting and other sewing or quilting supplies. We emailed and even called headquarters, but got the same answer they just couldn't justify keeping it because of inventory and couldn't pay someone to stay in the dept all the time. There were three ladies that were always in that dept. or close by to help. After the remodel, they have a lot of junk all over the store. They did away with a lot of their inventory, not just fabric, and it looks like a lot of their craft and party stuff that took care of the fabric dept. just isn't selling, as well as a lot of their other things that they brought in. We basically have NO other place to shop in our town except there. We had quite a few good places until WM came in and they all closed. I do like some of their stuff and have to trade there, but have been very dissatisfied about the fabric going, as is everone else. We live so far from any place to really shop living in far West Texas. As I stated nearest place to do much is 80 miles away North and East, and 200 West to El Paso, nothing to the South of us until you get down near San Antonio.Good Luck hope you can keep yours. We all (quilting group) bought them out practically when they were closing out the dept.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM

I just went to the Walmart site:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx
I chose "Company feedback and questions" and asked them to get the fabric back. How about we get a few thousand of us to do that?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Out of 7 WM within 1 hour of me, 3 still have nice fabric departments. The one closest to me carries 4 models of sewing machines and a half dozen or so pre-cuts. That's it. This is a newer store, maybe 5-8 years old...used to have a very nice fabric section. We only have one very small lqs in our town, a JoAnne's in the next town-20 minutes away. Hobby Lobby is maybe 45 minutes away. I do a LOT of online shopping for fabric.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Ours is remodeling and they are telling all of us that the fabric dept. is staying.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Our WalMart quit carrying fabric a couple of years ago. I tried the WalMart at Woodburn while visiting there and they no longer have fabric either. I can drive about 5 hours one way to Klamath Falls and their WalMart has a huge fabric dept. I live in Coos Bay, OR
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
I just went to the Walmart site:
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx
I chose "Company feedback and questions" and asked them to get the fabric back. How about we get a few thousand of us to do that?
I just sent my request to them. Donna, Coos Bay, Or
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 PM

We have 3 walmarts in our town, and one is keeping fabric and brought some new stuff in last week.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM

I received a response to my email to WalMart. They feel the need for more craft items out weighs our desire of fabrics and will not be bringing back the fabric. Donna, Coos Bay, OR
Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Ours is actually getting more fabric in every week. They have so much they have to put it in shopping carts now. The lady at the cutting counter told me it was because we all wrote in. Plus, we don't have any Joanns, Hancock's, etc. within a 90-mile drive.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Well, I did it. Went to our Cairo, GA Walmart yesterday to find out what time fabric would go on sale today at 75% off. Was told some ladies would be there at midnight and it would be a zoo. Decided to wait until 8:00am this morning and was the only one at the cutting table. Bought 32 different pieces of fabric, some for stash, some for borders and some for backing. Most expensive was 1.49/yard. Spent $89 but have definitely expanded my stash....now to the washer...