Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overcoming Fear >

Overcoming Fear

Overcoming Fear

Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Up4BigChal
I just want to show you what you can do if you just get in there and make that first cut. The 2 quilts are going out to be quilted, but I just started quilting in Oct of 2009. I am soooo hooked that it consumes me. I was scared to death on the Tennessee Waltz but Eleanor Burns makes it as simple as possible. :lol:
LOL! Here is my Tennessee Waltz quilt by Eleanor Burns. Mine is not as good as yours and pepperment31. I am not very good at choosing fabrics. I am better now but I was real bad then.

Strawberry Shortcake Quilt for my niece.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77962[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77957.jpe  
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 AM

I love your Quilt. It's so soft.
I envy people who can reach into their scap bucket and make scrappy quilts I CAN NOT DO THAT!! I have to have everything that is Coordinated! Trust me, I can't even make a scrappy quilt for Charity. Sad isn't it. So one of these days I will through ALL my scraps into a grab bag and send it off to one of you Lovely Friends that Loves scraps.
PS You'll get a ton of Batiks and Moda's
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 AM

Oh I didn't mean yours was scrappy I love the "Happy Colors"
Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 AM

i collected fabric for 6 or 7 years because i worked in the fabric dept. of walmart and i loved the feel and colors of the cloth!!!
i did NOT sew much at all. but all these ladies would come and tell what they were quilting and i got the itch. well i have only been quilting about 3 years and none of my quilts are perfect my stitches are not the same but you know what i'm getting there and you will also. but you have to move to get started. it is hard but it's just fabric it won't bleed if you cut it. good luck i know you can do it just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 AM

When I first read this thread, I thought, "Oh, I can give her some advice", but guess what? Everyone else said everything and more than what I was going to say! Take it all into consideration. All of us are here to help each other and that includes you. Every one of us started out at some point not knowing how to do ANYTHING, but we learned that it all starts with sewing 2 pieces of fabric together. If the seam is not straight, try it again. Who will know? Who will care? Tape a piece of masking tape on your machine to show you where the 1/4" mark is and try it again, and again, and again. Practice, practice. Before long, you will have DONE it, you'll feel so accomplished that you will have the incentive to go on. It builds upon itself. When I started, there were no computers, I didn't know anyone who quilted, there were no classes (or I couldn't afford them), so I went to a fabric store and bought an inexpensive book on beginner quilting, and a couple quarter-yard lengths of fabric (there were no fat quarters then, either). I didn't even buy batting because I was so unsure about doing this thing, and besides, what would I do with it if this didn't work out? So it was me, the book, and my machine (which only sewed straight stitches and zigzag stitches). I just went step by step, over and over, and guess what - I LEARNED! Than I bought a little flannel to use for batting. Then I attempted a small project (potholder) which was not perfect, but I finished it! I was a quilter! That how it started.

Just come back to this board with your questions or problems. We've all had the same questions and problems and we will help you. There's nothing too unimportant to ask. Good luck. We're looking forward to hearing from you and the progress you're making!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by janet bales
Thanks for all that all of you have taught me as a quilt newcomer. One thing I guess I am ashamed to admit but I need help with is overcoming fear. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but my husband offers to hold my hand as I start quilting. I do not know if I am afraid of failing, but I have difficultly getting in my room to start really quilting process. I have read books, have great stuff to quilt with, and read your helping topics but overcoming getting started is huge. HELP!
I was in our LQS looking for fabric to go with the Double Wedding Ring quilt that I'm making and the clerk told me my fabric was not very cheery, Boy did that set me back, I had a hard time getting started on the quilt until I told myself the nerve she had she wasent making the quilt. Went home and made a block and it turned out beautiful, shows she dont know as much as she thinks. So I guess I want to tell you dont take what a clerk tells you they dont know it all.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by janet bales
Thanks for all that all of you have taught me as a quilt newcomer. One thing I guess I am ashamed to admit but I need help with is overcoming fear. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but my husband offers to hold my hand as I start quilting. I do not know if I am afraid of failing, but I have difficultly getting in my room to start really quilting process. I have read books, have great stuff to quilt with, and read your helping topics but overcoming getting started is huge. HELP!
Emiko Toda Loeb, a very talented Japanese professional quilter - told me years ago, ignore the mistakes and just keep going - most will never be noticed.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 AM

keep at it gal!
one of my many hobbies is throwing pots (crash!) I still have the first wonkey pot I made, prominently displayed, to remind me how far I've progresed
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Teacup, I lol when I read abt your husband's questions...the only one my dh asks now is "who u makin' that for?" We've been married 55+ years and he still does not know that I am not that generous, just a pushover :!:
Old 06-03-2010, 08:45 AM

It's only thread and fabric, and it's kind of like riding horses, if you don't get kicked, bit, or thrown off at least once, it isn't worth it! LOL So don't worry if you get stuck with a needle, or knicked by rotary knife. it's happened to almost all of us and we are all still here and going strong. It's not so bad.

YOU CAN DO IT!! :)