Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Packing an olfa mat? Good idea or not? >

Packing an olfa mat? Good idea or not?

Packing an olfa mat? Good idea or not?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM

I like this, thanks.
D

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Purchase 1 or 2 pieces of foamcore board - looks like stiff poster board, often can find them at Dollar Tree, etc. - and make a "pocket" to hold your board safely. I use duct tape around three sides of the 2 boards, leaving one open so I can slide the mat into the pocket.

The number of boards you buy will depend on the size of your cutting mat. I made these pockets in several sizes when I lived in Texas, where even placing a mat flat on the floor of the car trunk would allow them to warp from heat. Never had a problem in years after beginning to use these pockets.

An added benefit -- cover one side of the pocket (or both if you wish) with flannel or a piece of leftover batting and you have a portable design wall. I even slide my long ruler in beside the mat.

Jan in VA
Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 PM

One time I was restricted to my luggage size. I used a large suitcase and put a large mat in it rolling it around other things. Got just about everything in that 1 piece of luggage + sewing machine.

Sure like Jan in VA's idea for mat folder. Multiple uses is very necessary when traveling. Using clips to hold it closed would allow for a larger design board when opened up.

I'm going to a retreat soon and think a flannel back tablecloth attached to the wall with Command Strips might solve the design wall delimma.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

[QUOTE=petthefabric;6113751....Sure like Jan in VA's idea for mat folder. Multiple uses is very necessary when traveling. Using clips to hold it closed would allow for a larger design board when opened up.

I'm going to a retreat soon and think a flannel back tablecloth attached to the wall with Command Strips might solve the design wall delimma.[/QUOTE]

Please note that the POCKET I mentioned is *not* a "folder"......it really is a pocket. Permanently folded, it is a two sided thing that is held together with duct tape on 3 sides, one side left open so the cutting mat can be inserted, no removable clamps necessary. And if you apply flannel or batting to the outside for design board use, that can be applied with tape or glue, still no clamps.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails cutting-mat-carrier.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Love the pocket idea for protecting mats! Thank you!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

@ post # 9: Jan in VA, What a great idea Jan. I will put this on my to make list. Thanks a bunch!
peace
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks Jan! Great idea!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM

I am flying. Your idea is great, Jan. I have a little folding Olfa Mat that could go. I'm going to try to precut and kit up some projects but I may want something bigger. I'll see about the June T. Ones, didn't know the self healing dulls blades.
Thanks for your thoughts.
lots2do
Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
....didn't know the self healing dulls blades..... lots2do
Self healing mats like the green OLFA ones do NOT dull blades. These have been used for decades in the engineering field. It's mats made to compete with Olfa - especially Fiskars and other hard surface ones - that dull our blades. Though they are labeled "self healing" they are not of the same 'space age' substance as Olfa uses.

Jan in VA
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Jan, you are full of good ideas that work. I'm gonna do this. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 PM

When I travel I have a mat attached to an ironing board. This keeps flat any time .