Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paducah Quilt Show

I am very interested in attending the Paducah Quilt Show in April of 2012. I am know looking at the lodging that is available. Can anyone on the board give me suggestions as to what places would be in walking distance or closest to the show. Would appreciate any info on the show.

Blog Entries
    i don't know what is the closest...but, my mom lives there and i've gone the last two years in a row. it was so much fun. they have GREAT shuttle service that they provide to the quilters there. you can probably get some local guidence through the Paducah Qiult Museum. they are very helpful there. :D

Thanks so much. I will be checking with the Quilt Museum there.

I am fortunate to live in the area so that is not a problem for me, however, if you want to go, you really need to get your reservations in now. The show is spread over a large area and like it was said, they have wonderful shuttle services during this time.

Maybe if there is enough interest next year several of us could meet there for a lunch or something. Then we could put faces and names together!

My sister and I went 4 years ago and it was a blast. Shuttle excellent. Haven't been able to get rooms at hotels since then. They all book up when they leave for the following year and get first choice on rooms. When we put in for waiting lists have never been called. AQS site has some suggestions, but they all involve driving out of town 30 mins or so.

So if we were to get a room out of Paducah how hard is it to find a parking space? Will we have to walk several blocks to get where the action is? Thanks for your help.

A get together sounds really good would be great to know who we are communicating with.

Everyone who is looking for lodging be sure to try Murray and Land Between the Lakes. Although they are 20 to 30 miles from Paducah there are excellent shuttle buses once you get to Paducah. You can park just about anywhere and grab a bus to get to the next place. Also, Metropolis,IL which is just across the river.

You might also try calling AQS to see if they know of any bed/breakfasts. I know they have been trying to find any private homes that may allow someone to stay in an extra bedroom.
    Good luck...it is a great show.
    Last edited by Sneed; 04-10-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Have you checked AQS's website regarding the show? Most of your questions will be answered there.
    As others have said, it will be very difficult to find lodging at this late date. My friend was on the cancellation list for 2 years before she was able to get a room. She could not get on the regular waiting list for a hotel room because the hotels only book up to one year in advance, and they give first dibs to returning customers. She would call on the last day of the show for the following year and they'd be full already. I have another friend who stays at a campground in a neighboring town and drives into Paducah.

Here are some links that might help.
    Bed & Breakfasts and renting private rooms:
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows..._breakfast.php

Parking info:
    http://www.americanquilter.com/docum...arking_map.pdf

Blog Entries
    There are lots of small towns around Paducah and have reasonable room rates. I drive there so it's no problem staying 30 or so miles away. I let hotels.com find the room and I book online. Parking is not a problem so don't worry about that. Park at Hancock's or the Mall or the Museum area and take the shuttle buses.
    Got fabric?

We stay in Marion. It's only about a 40min ride to Paducah. I pay for our reservations in October. They fill up fast. I hope you can find someplace. The AQS site is www.americanquilter.com. all kinds of info there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Park at Hancock's or the Mall or the Museum area and take the shuttle buses.
    Maybe check and make sure this is okay. I used to work for a towing company that towed a lot of cars parked at private businesses. I'm not saying Hancock's or the Museum WILL tow your car, I'm saying please check first, so you don't find out the hard way that they do.

I know this was discussed last year, but Hancock's and the Mall expect folks to park there...the shuttle buses run to them just to pick up quilters. Hancock's has a huge shuttle bus parking field.(shuttles are free) Carson Park has parking..Eleanor Burns has her tents set up there. There is parking at the riverfront beside the Museum (get there early) all of the side streets have parking and some businesses nearby will let you park for a fee ($5 or $10 for the day) I've never paid to park though...there are lots of options. There's parking at the Carson Center right beside Finkle's (hurt books and vendors) Some folks rent a houseboat on KY Lake 30 minutes out and quite nice. Here's a B&B at Kuttawa on the lake (40 minutes out) http://www.kuttawaharborhouse.com/

somewhere on here I asked about parking also and was told plenty of parking at Expo Ctr and have a shuttle to show, also parking at Rotary Club - I also had trouble finding a room - finally registered in Martin TN it is a 1 hour drive to show, but hey I wanted to go and this was only way I found - Good Luck to you

Just came thru Paducah today and it has inspired me to travel back for the show. It would be so neat! Any tips and suggestions on attending would be so helpful! Something to consider for those of you driving their south on I-57, construction-road work has started early. This could add to your travel time.
    Last edited by deedum; 04-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    I went last year and stayed in Metropolis (Superman's home town) It is about 20 min away. It will be hard to find a place to stay now because everyone books their reservation for the next year when they are there. It was a great time so if you can get there, by all means go! You won't be sorry>
    Rosie the "ripper"

Some highlights other than the Expo Center's displays...The Cherry Civic Center has an antique quilt show put on by the Rotary Club...there's parking and the shuttles have it on their stop schedule. Several churches in the area open their kitchens and the ladies serve fabulous home cooked meals for a low price. The Methodist and the Presbyterian churches are on Broadway and tour buses even stop for the good food at the low cost. If you want to try a local landmark for a meal. Kirchoff's Bakery and Deli is where the locals love to go...even just for a cookie! http://kirchhoffsbakery.com/ Elanor Burns sets up tents and puts on a bug production at Carson Park (on the shuttle route) many wouldn't miss it for anything. Many vacant downtown stores have vendors set up for the week and you can get everything from a Featherweight to computer programs. Finkle's dept store (closed for years) is where you can go to get hurt books for $5 (quilting and craft titles) there are also many vendors set up in the store. As someone mentioned earlier, downtown parking should be better because they plan to open up the area where the old Executive Inn stood and that is right by the Expo Center. Any questions...just ask. I'm local and my Mom is one of the YoYo's

Also, if you get a chance, go to Harrisburg, just north of Paducah some has a wonderful fabric store "Catherines Fabrics". She has great prices and very nice quality material. I stop in every chance I get!

My sister and I went to the Paducah show a year or two ago. We were told about a few churches that did dinners. Does anyone know about them. Also, any suggestion on reasonalble places to eat. We went to one place that had a light bright in the window and it was $25 -$35 dollars a plate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melodyr View Post
    I'm local and my Mom is one of the YoYo's
    I love the yo yo ladies table! About two years ago I sit with one of the yo yo's and learned how to make the 3D baby bow tie. It has been my only hand sewing project since I learned how to do it. I always buy a lot of chances on the beautiful yo yo quilt. Anyone that goes to Paducah quilt show look up the Yo Yo's of Paducah! OH, the yo yo who taught me the baby bow tie talked about her wonderful DD. It must have been you!
    Got fabric?

The YoYos made hundreds of those bows that year...the vendors almost ran out of 5" squares there were so many bought. I'm betting it was Mom you talked to...I'm the only child of any of them that takes an interest. The Museum also sells my hand-dyed silk scarves in the gift shop. The Methodist church on Broadway (a few blocks from the show, but within walking distance) has wonderful low cost food. Mom and the YoYos always eat there at least once. Here's the link to the church website: http://bumc-paducah.org/ someone there will be happy to tell you about what they offer.Pizza Inn has a great buffet in place for the quilters too. (Mom and her gang always eat there too) It is between the Expo Center and Hancock's Fabrics. The Boy Scouts usually set up out side the Expo and sell fresh strawberry shortcake. Oh yeah...Merle Haggard is going to be at the Carson Center on Thursday night if anyone is a fan...there may be some tickets left (we got ours in Dec) There are lots of chain restaurants out by the mall and Hancocks...Applebees, Outback, Rafferty's...and all of the burger franchises. Ryans has a buffet and there's a Panera Bread too. The Presbyterian church http://www.westminsterpresbyterianpa...OurHistory.htm also offers meals on a quilter's budget (why waste money on food with all of that fabric around) Ask any questions...I'll pop in every day and give you the scoop!

Ok...I called mom and got the churches's meal schedules

Thursday:
    St Francis De Sales Catholic (Broadway)..lunch $7. Carry out available 270-442-1923 for reservations
    St Paul Lutheran (21st Street) Germanfest Dinner $10 reservations recommended 270-898-8563
    Broadway Methodist Italian Night $8 reservations recommended 270-443-2401

Friday:
    Sam's Club complimentary quilter's breakfast 7 to 9 am (behind KY Oaks Mall)
    St Francis DeSales Chicken and Dressing lunch $7 10:30 till 2pm reservations recommended..carry out available 270-442-1923
    Grace Episcopal 820 Broadway sit down lunch quilt display, lace guild display $9 11:15 am or 12:15 pm seating times 270-443-1363 tours of this historic church available too...beautiful old building and grounds!
    First Presbyterian 200 N 7th Taste of Paducah Dinner Quilt show5 pm and 7 pm $10

Saturday:
    Fountain Ave Methodist 17th & Fountain dinner...entree/salad and dessert $10 (there's a dessert ROOM!)Groups of 10 or more should call for reservations 270-443-1724 (Mom never misses this one!)

How is the americas best inn at metropolois or the motels at Paducah? Just wondering if they are nice or if I need to stay futher out at Marion. I had reservations at both but kepted the Marion. Hoping I did right.

I don't know about the motel...nothing bad...I just don't have any info. I'll see if Mom knows anything.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like loads of fun!! Bring back pictures!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast