Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: "Paint the Town"

"Paint the Town"

My local guild has a challenge quilt with the above theme. We've been given a fat quarter and 4 "paint chip" cards with the colors we are to use for the remainder of the design. My problem? I have no idea what to do with it. No ideas with the theme of "Paint the Town". What comes to MY mind is going out to nightclubs, getting all "gussied" up, to paint the town. Have NO idea how to depict this. The size can be no smaller than 30" and no larger than 36". Any thoughts?
    Terri

Blog Entries
    my first thought was houses in a row , one of each color....can add trees etc to fix it up.....kinda nieghborhood theme
    fatquarters

That was my idea also--a line of row houses, all different colors, sorta like the "Painted Ladies" in San Francisco.

Blog Entries
    how about the tumbling blocks that are laid out to look like city buildings, with some neon lights accents?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

How about a paint bucket pouring out colors over a row of houses? The bucket is in the sky, like a moon. The colors could be flying geese, etc.

Charleston's Rainbow Row?
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

How about paint brushes with different colors on them
    Sandy

I was thinking along the lines of dressing up with "glitz". Can you use embellishments? How about one of the quilts with doll dresses glitzed up with sequins, lace etc.? Here is one I found Or you could do fancy shoes and purses in the quilt blocks.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of dressing up with "glitz". Can you use embellishments? How about one of the quilts with doll dresses glitzed up with sequins, lace etc.? Here is one I found Or you could do fancy shoes and purses in the quilt blocks.
    For some reason the url I posted isn't showing up I'll try again. If it doesn't show up, I Googled doll dress quilt patterns and found "let-play-house-dress-quilt"
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I like that one, but someone else in the Guild is doing that already.
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    How about a paint bucket pouring out colors over a row of houses? The bucket is in the sky, like a moon. The colors could be flying geese, etc.
    Hmmm. That's an idea. The supplied fabric is dark with splashes of bright orange, yellow, green. Kind of like July 4th. More research.
    Terri

Thanks for all the ideas. My limited imagination has kicked in and I've found an idea I think will work. I'll post a picture when it's done.
    Terri

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Interesting. I immediately though of graffiti. An art quilt with ribbons/swirls/"writing" of the other colors against some sort of wall or building or rail car as the background.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    duplicate, sorry
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I was thinking along the It's Five O'clock Somewhere .... I see you've found an idea already but will post a link to some free " drink" appliqué patterns that I really like. http://patsloan.typepad.com/quilters...lock-some.html

Me too! Or some kind of neighborhood mural scene...

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Interesting. I immediately though of graffiti. An art quilt with ribbons/swirls/"writing" of the other colors against some sort of wall or building or rail car as the background.

Jan in VA

Power Poster
    Here is a very off the wall idea but it has possiblities. I've always wanted to do a desert scene where the setting sun turns the sandstone cliffs red and the sky violet. You could maybe do a section of the Anazazi cliff dwellings as the sun sets? How about a red doll house complete with applique white gingerbread? Okay, that's all I've got unless I dream about it tonight. Do you do that, dream about quilts and quilt patterns when you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Here is a very off the wall idea but it has possiblities. I've always wanted to do a desert scene where the setting sun turns the sandstone cliffs red and the sky violet. You could maybe do a section of the Anazazi cliff dwellings as the sun sets? How about a red doll house complete with applique white gingerbread? Okay, that's all I've got unless I dream about it tonight. Do you do that, dream about quilts and quilt patterns when you sleep?
    OOOO, that sounds really cool. Actually, the fabric we've got to work with would work wonderfully with that. Just need the patterns for the Anazazi dwellings. I'm not good with free-form, or applique, although I'm constantly drawn to applique.
    Terri