Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing Question

Blog Entries
    I use a cheap tablet of tracing paper by Mead that I buy at Walmart. I trim it down to go through my printer and haven't had any problem with it. Its thin, cheap and readily available. it tears off easily, especially if I fold it. I used to use regular copy paper, but this is thinner and allows me to see through it better.

Also...if I have little stubborn pieces left in that will loosen the stitches...I just leave them. The water in the washer will dissolve them, so I don't worry about it. Don't tell the PP police though!

Blog Entries
    I have experimented with different types of paper - I thought computer paper sprayed with water teared fairly easily, although I would still have some bits and pieces left.

Then I tried the cheap dollar store newsprint type paper (doodle pads as mentioned already) and they are definitely the BEST!! No need to spray with water, rips off like a dream!!!

I have looked and looked and I find that the school paper with the lines, works the best. Then I went to a dollar store, there was a package of thier printer paper open and it was as thin as the school paper and had no lines, so if anyone is getting paper there, check the printer paper, it may be the thin stuff. But if not, just get the school lined paper, it works great. I have done a queen quilt with that paper and its my first experience with paper piecing. Just make sure you get the size for your printer. There are two sizes. It worked for me. And was so easy to get off. Onion paper is so expensive, I tried others but this method works best. Good luck

Rita

Blog Entries
    I use my printer paper. as I sew with the lines up and toward me and the fab next to the machine .it tears off esily without damage to the stitches.

I use Carol Doak's paper. Works great. Cheapest I've found it is at Hancocks of Paducah.

I use regular copy paper - with the small stitches I never have a problem. However if you make a mistake - you might as well start over - it's not fun ripping out those itty bitty stitches. :x

I use Newsprint paper and also Vellum Paper(it can get pricey but it tears like a dream). I also use a size 14 needle with small stitches, that is what I was told when first learned how to PP.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by McQuilter
    I also use the scribble pads from the dollar tree. I cut them down to 8 1/2 x 11. You can get a lot of pages and they only cost $1.00 each pad. tear off really easy.
    I tried this method and had absolute "AWFUL" luck. The paper shrunk when I ironed the pieces. I use Carol Doak PPing paper. I buy it at the LQS or order it when I have a chance to add it to an order without adding to the shipping charges.

I'm going to a retreat in a couple weeks where the instructor for the class will be teaching us to use a "no-rip" method of paper piecing. I'm anxious to find out how to do this as I absolutely "hate" taking the paper out after sewing. If I can actually figure out how to do it, will try to post how its done.

I was using regular printer paper already in the printer. For some reason, I thought I'd get better results using Carol Doak's paper. Well, I had trouble right away because I could only get it to feed through the computer one sheet at a time (not insurmountable). But then I didn't think I liked it any better than my regular computer paper. In fact, I don't like the way her paper curls up and makes it difficult to work with. I'll stick with regular computer paper in the future.

I can see that we just created a paper shortage at Dollar Tree! I better get mine before the word gets out too far! :D

I just use ordinary printer paper. Ever since I started using the method where you fold over your paper piecing pattern before you sew and thus do not sew through the paper, what kind of paper I use has not been an issue. And it makes the paper piecing so much more fun!

I use unprinted news print paper which I get free from my local newspaper (end of rolls they cannot use). I draw the pattern on one piece, then staple several pieces together with the drawn pattern on top and sew over the pattern with no thread in the machine. The paper tears off easily.

Blog Entries
    My best advice, after choosing your paper, is to use the same copy machine for all copies. Learned this the hard way. If you switch copiers, the pattern may not be exactly the same. Then it gets tricky trying to make the blocks match. :)

i have some of doak's paper, cheap beige doodle pads in the kids dept., and then i got to sam's-get their sandwich wraps papers, unwaxed. then the other paper i use, i get from my drs office, i do pay for a roll of his exam table paper............cheaper and large roll.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen4him
    Hello all. I could really use something info on the best paper to use when making copies for paper piecing. I have my stitches small so I guess I need a different paper. Thanks for all your help. You ladies and gents are the best ever. LOL in Christ, Carmen
    Simply Amazing Translucent Foundation Paper
    RaNae Merrill Quilt Design
    www.ranaemerrillquilts.com

my mom got rid of all her scrapbooking stuff & i got a ton of white vellum... that stuff works great...

not great enough that i'd pay what they get in scrapbooking departments, but if you find it cheap....

I love Caral Doak's paper. it goes thru the printer great and tears away very easily. use 40% coupon at Joann's.

If the pattern is too large to fit thru your printer, than you can use tracing paper. I've a large tablet of it: 19" X 24". It's called Parchment paper. It's thinner than newsprint and easy to trace from a book or printed pattern. It tears away easily too. If I have any trouble, using a tweezers, is the answer.

I like the thin cheaper paper. But I found out the Carol Doak paper did not work in my printer, the blocks were off from i/4 to 1/2 inch on 6 inch blocks. So check your blocks after you have printed them, I caught it after 1 1/2 blocks.

The best way to get any paper off of a paper pieced block is to sew with a small stitch. For some machines, that will be 1.5 and on the other kind, it is 8-10 stitches per inch. That is terrible if you make a mistake, but you will have no problem tearing it off, and it also makes the block less likely to unravel or have lose seams.

ever since i used parchment paper, i only use that. try it, you'll love it

I don't paper piece much, but one time I was doing someting very small and I could not get the paper out, even with tweezers. I found a water soluble paper that worked great, but was quiite expensive if I remember.

I have tried all types of paper and find that many are difficult to remove even when they are run through the sewing machine for the little holes. Finally, I spotted the cheap notebooks for children to practice writing. Sometimes they are called "doodle pads" by Crayola and I look for them in Walmart, Kmart or other similar places. These need to be cut down to the 8 1/2 x 11 size to go through the printer but work like a charm. I have never had the printer jam yet and since I use several of Carol Doak's CD programs, I can just adjust the pattern to the needed size. She also has many patterns for free on the internet. If I need many I stack the patterns up and run the machine without thread. I never get the stress on the seams when I remove the paper this way. This paper also folds well and I have now converted my paper piecing instructor to this method. (The problem comes when you convert too many friends and then you find yourself not getting enough paper yourself.)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Up north gave me some patterns for paper piecing, but I have not been brave enough to try yet. :D . God bless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast