Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which part of the process is your LEAST favorite? >

which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I dislike the piecing the most. I have learned over the years to just go ahead and do the parts I like the least so I can get to the parts I like the best. I love picking out fabric and imagining what I am going to do with it. All the steps after that until I get to the handquilting are just like a "job". As a child my brothers and I hated to do the dishes. As an adult I have learned to "just do" mindlessly, many things so that I could get to the best parts.
The piecing is the part I love best.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM

HATE doing the sandwich. I have worked from the center out, thinking I was being oh so careful, only to have the backing off in one corner,,aaarrrgh!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I have a special situation. This is a very OLD trailer and I must turn off the heat to stop and press anything or I will trip the circuit breaker. Sometimes I feel like Lisa Douglas on "Green Acres". It would not bother me as much, I think, if I did not have to remind myself to stop, turn off heat, turn on iron, press my pieces, turn off iron, turn heat back on. Yikes! Can't wait for spring when I will not have to have the heat on.....
I had that problem at a trailer we lived in. If you didn't turn off all the lights, it would blow the breaker if you turned on the iron to press. A bummer for sure. Glad I am not there anymore.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Lets start with - I love planning a quilt - choosing colors, fabrics and placement. I continue to love the piecing and watching it all "come together". Now for the bad part. I don't concern myself with which direction the seam allowances are pressed, as long as they are flat. If they resist, I chop the crap out of them and wack them with a rubber mallott and press some more! I send my quilts out to a longarmer because I cannot stand the bulk of trying to quilt a large quilt (for me it's like trying to try on 100 pairs of shoes in a 5 gallon pouch). So when I get a quilt back from the quilter, all I have to do it hand stitch the binding to the back and add sleeves........... and then I kiss it!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 AM

My least favorite is being at work wishing I could go home and quilt! My second least is definitely that final press. How did our ancestors do it? They were super women!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Squaring everything up is the least favorite part for me along with finding a place to beable to sandwich things together since I don't have much room
Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Least Favorite: Finishing. Most of my quilts are not completely finished! :shock: There is something scary about moving from the top to the borders and beyond! I really would like to overcome that!

My favorite aspect: cutting tiny detailed pieces, such as this tree I made for a raw-edge applique quilt. There's something relaxing about it, and I don't have to worry how they come out!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11867.jpe  
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Actually, if someone haded me a quilt to lap quilt, i would be thrilled. That is the most relaxing part of the who process fro me.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Actually, if someone handed me a quilt to lap quilt, i would be thrilled. That is the most relaxing part of the who process fro me.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM

My worst part is the repitition of doing anything over...and over...and over. That's why I quit sewing clothing - too boring to sew another sleeve! This must be some kind of A.D.D. thing. So, I have to break up my cutting and piecing. I don't like to piece the same block over and over so I'll so a part of a quilt and then move onto a different part. Does this make sense? It does to me so it doesn't get boring - but then - I'm a little weird!!!