Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern ideas for not so FQ >

Pattern ideas for not so FQ

Pattern ideas for not so FQ

Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Pattern ideas for not so FQ

We have a new shop in town, and I took my Mom along to see what the story was. We bought several fat quarters to make another Mystery Train table topper and took them home. I got a call a couple hours later and it was Mom saying that all her fat quarters were not actually fat, but very long and skinny standard quarters. And lo and behold mine were too!

That got us to wondering if anyone has ever seen a book about standard quarter designs. Do you have a goto favorite for regular quarters?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 AM

I would think any pattern would be fine, you'll just have to plan out your cutting. Any pattern made using strips would be the easiest
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 AM

I have never seen a selection of patterns designed for what I would refer to as a linear quarter. Were they marked / marketed as FQs?

That being said ... any FQ pattern not requiring a cut larger than 9" square would be fine to use. I often purchase linear quarters because they usually are cheaper than FQs.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 AM

Any quilt made primarily with 2.5 inch strips. My most recent go to easy strip pattern is by legacy quilts called road to Bali the blocks are easy and the layout is simple to adjust. My other favorites are by cozy quilt designs holiday cheer or paradise found, their stock of patterns for strip quilts seems endless. Then of course Elenor burns has a plethora of strip quilting designs.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 AM

In theory, you have 2 fat eighths (9x22) in each 1/4 yd. Do a search for fat eighths patterns. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...quilt-patterns

http://blog.quiltroom.co.uk/2013/06/...quilt-pattern/

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/11/spun-sugar.html

http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 03-07-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

If they were actually marked as FAT quarters, it would be a kindness to let the shop know they were cut incorrectly. They may have had someone cutting them that didn't understand. If they were marked as quarter yard cuts, then that's a different story & you received the right item.

There are lots of patterns out there that use fat quarters and have you cut pieces that are wider than the 9" you have. If it's a new shop, this might kill business!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Yes they were labeled fat quarter. A whole wall of them with signs above saying fat quarter. It totally skipped my mind that this is two fat eighths. I guess we were laughing too much at how even fabric is dieting these days. We called and told them they might want to spot check some of the fqs, got told they never had this complaint before, so we need to bring it in to show them. Yeah, I am already guessing they wont be lasting long in a town with two quilt stores and a well stocked walmart.

My Mom is a brilliant clothing designer and seamstress, but is fluxommed with cutting and assembling these geometric shapes. Its like someone who can perform non-euclidian geometry but cannot balance a checkbook. So readjusting a pattern to fit optimally on a standard 1/4 is really hard for her. She has been so tickled with her ability to do the mystery trains, thanks to excellent instructions. But converting a yellow brick road would be a zoo. Thanks for the hints.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

So I guess this new fabric store is cutting a quarter of a yard cut thinking they were fat quarters?? You should at least call them and explain their mistake before they get an irate customer.