Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paula Nadelstern snowflakes >

Paula Nadelstern snowflakes

Paula Nadelstern snowflakes

Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM

I'm still collecting fabrics - and shirts (like she said in the book). I still won't get started for awhile, but I'm working on something similar in terms of how it goes together. Harder than I thought even using larger pieces. Anyone have some success. I would love to see pictures.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM

I'm almost ready to start this project. Two quilts need to get finished first, just have the sleeve and label on my fireworks quilt and a facing, sleeve and label on another. Hopefully I can get those finished today. Since it's been awhile since I read the book, I need to reread it and then start. I've lost about a months worth of time, since my Mom passed away in March, had to help arrange for a memorial service in AZ in April, just got back to MN a week ago.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM

OK folks, here's what I've found. I reread the book. I decided to just make the first pattern she demos starting on page 98, but using my fabrics and trying to match the pattern choice she used with what I have. I found very quickly you need to have symmetrical prints that are quite small. She has you making the left half of the triangle block and just reversing the template for the right side. If you don't have a symmetrical print to work with, you can't do this. I had a hard time finding any fabric that works for this technique. I bought a lot before I totally understood how it works and most of what I bought is not a symmetrical print. So at this point in time, this project is set aside. I might revisit it using multi-colored fabrics to just make her kaleidoscopes instead of snowflakes.