Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula Nadelstern snowflakes

Paula Nadelstern snowflakes

Hi Everyone -

I want to tackle a snowflake from Paula Nadelstern's snowflake book. It's so scary that I am wondering if there might be a couple of other people who want to do this together - a snowflake support group?

Lainey

I'm in! I just ordered the book so don't get too far ahead.
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

I just looked this book up on amazon, it looks challenging. Are they paper-pieced?

Patti and Micha -

I have been studying these snowflakes online and just got the book. It looks like astrophysics, but I don't care, I want to do it. It seems to be very elaborate piecing? I have to read the book tonight.

OK, so:

STEP ONE: Read the book.

We may need serious support just to get through it, but let's see how it goes.

Lainey

Many of her patterns need serious support to get through them and people do!

Blog Entries
    I ordered the book. I'll let you know after I get it if I'll join you or this will go in the "eye candy only" portion of my quilting book library.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Well, I read about twenty pages of Paula's snowflake book last night. It is clearly and very well written, so I feel optimistic that I will be able to understand her instructions. She has a nice, useful supply list - I will need a few things but not anything that unusual other than two protractors and some specialty graph paper.

I stare and stare at her photos of the snowflakes - they are quite unbelievable to me.

She says in the intro that she was choosing between a more generalized book or a true how-to - and she chose the how-to. I'm so grateful to her for making this choice.

So...I'm happy with things so far!

Lainey

The snowflakes look amazing. One looked like it used a "lacey" fabric. Have you started collecting fabrics yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    The snowflakes look amazing. One looked like it used a "lacey" fabric. Have you started collecting fabrics yet?
    I think I have a dark blue background with tiny stars that would work, and two lighter bluesy types that might get to go in the flake(s) - but I haven't read all the requirements for selecting fabrics.

But I mean how does she get some of those fuzzy tentacle things that look exactly like snowflake photos?

I have ordered the book. I'm up for the challenge. I want to try at least...one... maybe more, we'll see.

I will be beside myself if I am able to produce even one of these

Apparently a snowflake is hexagonal, so we will be working with six wedge shapes. Within each wedge there are a shocking number of tiny pieces going every which way - I think I would probably be able to get them all sewn to each other, eventually, but what daunts me is how to get the desired fabric patterns to emerge from all the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by lainealex View Post
    Hi Everyone -

I want to tackle a snowflake from Paula Nadelstern's snowflake book. It's so scary that I am wondering if there might be a couple of other people who want to do this together - a snowflake support group?

Lainey

Being basically lazy, any more snowflakes I do will be like those in my avatar--------cut out and bonded.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Oh, my goodness. Those are the most realistic snowflakes I've ever seen in fabric! All my best wishes go out to all you brave souls who are going to attempt to make these. I think I'll just ooh & aah when you post your pictures.
    SittingPretty

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the invite, but after checking it all out, I have decided to stay just where I am, perfectly happy with Churn Dash, Log Cabin, and the rest. This is so way beyond me. My hope is that I can someday I can do a Mariner's Star.

Good luck to all of you. Maybe someday those gonads will kick in and I will try it!!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Thank you for the invite, but after checking it all out, I have decided to stay just where I am, perfectly happy with Churn Dash, Log Cabin, and the rest. This is so way beyond me. My hope is that I can someday I can do a Mariner's Star.

Good luck to all of you. Maybe someday those gonads will kick in and I will try it!!!!!! Edie
    Beautiful snowflakes. Good Luck to you who are brave enough to try.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    OMG I don't think I have ever seen those. They are so beautiful. I already have too many projects or I would love to join you. I love doing things out of the box like this. I look forward to seeing your progress on this and to hear your comments on the progress. Another project for my lengthy bucket list.

Blog Entries
    OMG Good Luck!..cant wait to see..I am terrified of even looking much less trying...WOW!

One Christmas many moons ago when still living in VA, I gave my daughter (and I, lol) a class at G Street fabrics with her and these Snowflakes. The real problem is having "multiple" fabrics from which to aid in your snowflake design with similar coloring or one piece with large repeats. She had an entire line of fabric for this in indigo, grays and whites. The trick is to trace designs on your template material then cut out that exact design and add it to your flake.

I may have to resurrect this project if I can dig it out. This may give me incentive to complete it!! Also when I do, I will try to post a pic of what I accomplished in the two day class.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I wish I dared, but no can do! Lefthandedness and dyslexia prevent me from doing some things and this is definitely one of them.

Wow good luck, they are beautiful! Be sure to give us pictures.

Looks way over my skill level (just past beginner) : c - maybe you will just let me join to read all of your notes and experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by eparys View Post
    One Christmas many moons ago when still living in VA, I gave my daughter (and I, lol) a class at G Street fabrics with her and these Snowflakes. The real problem is having "multiple" fabrics from which to aid in your snowflake design with similar coloring or one piece with large repeats. She had an entire line of fabric for this in indigo, grays and whites. The trick is to trace designs on your template material then cut out that exact design and add it to your flake.

I may have to resurrect this project if I can dig it out. This may give me incentive to complete it!! Also when I do, I will try to post a pic of what I accomplished in the two day class.
    Hi Betty -

I would absolutely love to see what you accomplished in the class with your snowflake. And if you want to join us, oh that would be wonderful since you sort of know the ropes?

Lainey

Quote Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
    Looks way over my skill level (just past beginner) : c - maybe you will just let me join to read all of your notes and experiences.
    Well, there is clearly something wrong with me but I am basically a beginner too. I have only been quilting since last spring. But for some reason I keep attempting incredibly hard things!

I just go very slowly and I get a ton of help at each step.

Lainey

Blog Entries
    It looks intriguing. At first I didn't understand but now I realize the method being learned is to piece these intricate snowflakes together. For now I think I will watch how these go together. Your snowflakes should be beautiful.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lainealex View Post
    Well, there is clearly something wrong with me but I am basically a beginner too. I have only been quilting since last spring. But for some reason I keep attempting incredibly hard things!

I just go very slowly and I get a ton of help at each step.

Lainey
    Good way to proceed. I'm the IWANTITNOW! type.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast