Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Paula Nadelstern snowflakes

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109

    Paula Nadelstern snowflakes

    Hi Everyone -

    I want to tackle a snowflake from Paula Nadelstern's snowflake book. It's so scary that I am wondering if there might be a couple of other people who want to do this together - a snowflake support group?



    Lainey

  2. #2
    Senior Member Patti25314's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    threading a needle or pulling a weed
    Posts
    483
    I'm in! I just ordered the book so don't get too far ahead.
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

  3. #3
    Member Micha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    99
    I just looked this book up on amazon, it looks challenging. Are they paper-pieced?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109
    Patti and Micha -

    I have been studying these snowflakes online and just got the book. It looks like astrophysics, but I don't care, I want to do it. It seems to be very elaborate piecing? I have to read the book tonight.

    OK, so:

    STEP ONE: Read the book.

    We may need serious support just to get through it, but let's see how it goes.

    Lainey

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S. Texas
    Posts
    1,953
    Many of her patterns need serious support to get through them and people do!

  6. #6
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,465
    Blog Entries
    2
    I ordered the book. I'll let you know after I get it if I'll join you or this will go in the "eye candy only" portion of my quilting book library.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109
    Well, I read about twenty pages of Paula's snowflake book last night. It is clearly and very well written, so I feel optimistic that I will be able to understand her instructions. She has a nice, useful supply list - I will need a few things but not anything that unusual other than two protractors and some specialty graph paper.

    I stare and stare at her photos of the snowflakes - they are quite unbelievable to me.

    She says in the intro that she was choosing between a more generalized book or a true how-to - and she chose the how-to. I'm so grateful to her for making this choice.

    So...I'm happy with things so far!

    Lainey

  8. #8
    Junior Member Retiree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    123
    The snowflakes look amazing. One looked like it used a "lacey" fabric. Have you started collecting fabrics yet?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    The snowflakes look amazing. One looked like it used a "lacey" fabric. Have you started collecting fabrics yet?
    I think I have a dark blue background with tiny stars that would work, and two lighter bluesy types that might get to go in the flake(s) - but I haven't read all the requirements for selecting fabrics.

    But I mean how does she get some of those fuzzy tentacle things that look exactly like snowflake photos?

  10. #10
    Member Micha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    99
    I have ordered the book. I'm up for the challenge. I want to try at least...one... maybe more, we'll see.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109
    I will be beside myself if I am able to produce even one of these

    Apparently a snowflake is hexagonal, so we will be working with six wedge shapes. Within each wedge there are a shocking number of tiny pieces going every which way - I think I would probably be able to get them all sewn to each other, eventually, but what daunts me is how to get the desired fabric patterns to emerge from all the pieces.

  12. #12
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by lainealex View Post
    Hi Everyone -

    I want to tackle a snowflake from Paula Nadelstern's snowflake book. It's so scary that I am wondering if there might be a couple of other people who want to do this together - a snowflake support group?



    Lainey

    Being basically lazy, any more snowflakes I do will be like those in my avatar--------cut out and bonded.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  13. #13
    Senior Member SittingPretty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    673
    Oh, my goodness. Those are the most realistic snowflakes I've ever seen in fabric! All my best wishes go out to all you brave souls who are going to attempt to make these. I think I'll just ooh & aah when you post your pictures.
    SittingPretty

  14. #14
    Super Member Edie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,619
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you for the invite, but after checking it all out, I have decided to stay just where I am, perfectly happy with Churn Dash, Log Cabin, and the rest. This is so way beyond me. My hope is that I can someday I can do a Mariner's Star.

    Good luck to all of you. Maybe someday those gonads will kick in and I will try it!!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

    BELIEVE

  15. #15
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    new york state
    Posts
    10,528
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Thank you for the invite, but after checking it all out, I have decided to stay just where I am, perfectly happy with Churn Dash, Log Cabin, and the rest. This is so way beyond me. My hope is that I can someday I can do a Mariner's Star.

    Good luck to all of you. Maybe someday those gonads will kick in and I will try it!!!!!! Edie
    Beautiful snowflakes. Good Luck to you who are brave enough to try.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

  16. #16
    Super Member meanmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    3,319
    Blog Entries
    1
    OMG I don't think I have ever seen those. They are so beautiful. I already have too many projects or I would love to join you. I love doing things out of the box like this. I look forward to seeing your progress on this and to hear your comments on the progress. Another project for my lengthy bucket list.

  17. #17
    Member kymawmaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    68
    Blog Entries
    1
    OMG Good Luck!..cant wait to see..I am terrified of even looking much less trying...WOW!

  18. #18
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,230
    One Christmas many moons ago when still living in VA, I gave my daughter (and I, lol) a class at G Street fabrics with her and these Snowflakes. The real problem is having "multiple" fabrics from which to aid in your snowflake design with similar coloring or one piece with large repeats. She had an entire line of fabric for this in indigo, grays and whites. The trick is to trace designs on your template material then cut out that exact design and add it to your flake.

    I may have to resurrect this project if I can dig it out. This may give me incentive to complete it!! Also when I do, I will try to post a pic of what I accomplished in the two day class.
    Betty

    A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

    http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,700
    I wish I dared, but no can do! Lefthandedness and dyslexia prevent me from doing some things and this is definitely one of them.

  20. #20
    Junior Member KimmerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rhinelander, WI
    Posts
    288
    Wow good luck, they are beautiful! Be sure to give us pictures.

  21. #21
    Super Member MartiMorga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Springville, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,119
    Looks way over my skill level (just past beginner) : c - maybe you will just let me join to read all of your notes and experiences.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by eparys View Post
    One Christmas many moons ago when still living in VA, I gave my daughter (and I, lol) a class at G Street fabrics with her and these Snowflakes. The real problem is having "multiple" fabrics from which to aid in your snowflake design with similar coloring or one piece with large repeats. She had an entire line of fabric for this in indigo, grays and whites. The trick is to trace designs on your template material then cut out that exact design and add it to your flake.

    I may have to resurrect this project if I can dig it out. This may give me incentive to complete it!! Also when I do, I will try to post a pic of what I accomplished in the two day class.
    Hi Betty -

    I would absolutely love to see what you accomplished in the class with your snowflake. And if you want to join us, oh that would be wonderful since you sort of know the ropes?

    Lainey

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
    Looks way over my skill level (just past beginner) : c - maybe you will just let me join to read all of your notes and experiences.
    Well, there is clearly something wrong with me but I am basically a beginner too. I have only been quilting since last spring. But for some reason I keep attempting incredibly hard things!

    I just go very slowly and I get a ton of help at each step.

    Lainey

  24. #24
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,743
    Blog Entries
    47
    It looks intriguing. At first I didn't understand but now I realize the method being learned is to piece these intricate snowflakes together. For now I think I will watch how these go together. Your snowflakes should be beautiful.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  25. #25
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by lainealex View Post
    Well, there is clearly something wrong with me but I am basically a beginner too. I have only been quilting since last spring. But for some reason I keep attempting incredibly hard things!

    I just go very slowly and I get a ton of help at each step.

    Lainey
    Good way to proceed. I'm the IWANTITNOW! type.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.