Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay Pal Spoof >

Pay Pal Spoof

Pay Pal Spoof

Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 PM

I have gotten several emails similar to that, also got the same one. I contacted Pay Pal also. They told me what to look for in an official Pay Pal email and of course I forgot what they said. They also recommended that even if I think it is official not to follow the link in the email. Always to go to Pay Pal separetly for safety
Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom
I have gotten several emails similar to that, also got the same one. I contacted Pay Pal also. They told me what to look for in an official Pay Pal email and of course I forgot what they said. They also recommended that even if I think it is official not to follow the link in the email. Always to go to Pay Pal separetly for safety
I don't even trust PayPal.com. I get the toll free number and call. Just skittish, I guess. froggyintexas
Old 10-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Any time you get this kind of letter, just back out and go to the site directly from their home page. If they need to contact you there will be some sort of alert there. Otherwise, it's probably a phishing scam.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
I ws poking around in my junk mail folder looking for something I thought I might have placed there accidentally. I found a very official looking letter from PayPal informing me that my information needed to be updated before Oct. 16 or my account would be suspended.

I immediately called PayPal and was told by the person to whom I talked that the letter was a fraudulent attempt to get information. She e-mailed me a list of things to check to determine whether an e-mail is really from PayPal. First thing is that it will always addres you by your full name. They will never ask you for the kind of information this phishing letter asked for.

Be very cautious about answering anything unsolicited from PayPal. You can always get the toll free number from the legitimate site. froggyintexas
I got a letter from them soliciting my business-I deleted it unopened a few days later another letter came saying I forgot pertinent banking info both were addressed to me at my new EM.I never buy anything on-line.I've heard to many horror stories to believe it couldn't happen to me
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Several times I've been sent that. Various credit cards and banks try the same thing with me all the time too. Thanks for the warning.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 PM

I get those also, I NEVER click on those emails. If you want to check your acount you can open a new window and type in paypal. Also the http before the www means it is secure site. But never click on the direct link from the email!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Any email you receive from anyone, who says "you must update....." is a phishing scam. If you have any doubts, log off your email, then go to the site, in the email, by typing it yourself. You can then safely ask if it is legit. Never use a link to check it out. Some of them, if you were (don't) to click (don't) on it, sends you to a site made to look like the real one. Play safe everyone.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM

I was looking at something online recently and they told me they were selling it with ebay buyer protection plan. I got an email with ebay logo etc and as I read it, it said to send the money by Western Union - red flag. I called ebay and it was a scam. Ebay protection plan uses numbers only-10 digits and no letters. His number had 3 sets of letters as well as numbers. Ebay never uses Western Union as it is too hard to trace payment. He also said item was at a fedex shipping center that had been inspected and approved by ebay. They don't inspect shipping centers for the way things are packed. Glad I called ebay :)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM

Got the same email. Deleted it and planned on opening my account and checking. Never believe any banking or paypal emails. I keep getting them from banks I don't even have an account at.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 AM

Every so often I get stuff saying that my act will be closed if I don't update info. I never answer and my acct is still o.k. I do report it!