Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Payment for Long Arm Quilting >

Payment for Long Arm Quilting

Payment for Long Arm Quilting

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Default Payment for Long Arm Quilting

As I'm preparing to start my next quilt, I'm thinking towards the future and finishing it up and quilting it. The next quilt on my "to-do" list is a baby quilt, so I don't think doing basic line quilting will be a problem on my Janome Sewist 525s. However, the quilt next on the list is a Summer In The Park lap quilt that I don't think I'll be able to handle on my home machine.

My sister's MIL has a long-arm machine and has offered to quilt anything that I bring to her for free. However, I'm of the school of "don't take advantage of people's kindness" and feel guilty about asking her to do one (or more) quilts for free.

Any suggestions on how I can "pay" her for doing the quilting? I know she shops at JoAnn's, so maybe a gift card there... but maybe there is something else that I could get her as a way of saying "Thank You."

Thank you for any suggestions
Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Not knowing how old your sister's MIL is, I am 59 and my friends and I have gotten to the point that we really don't need anything, so being taken out for a meal is wonderful. Or if you have a local place that has gift cards, that is nice. And flowers are great too. Would she mind if you watched her do it? Then you can get an idea what all is entailed and maybe learn to do it. A friend comes over and in the beginning she was having me do the embroidery on my machine - now I have her do it. While she embroiders I do something else, like piece or quilt or hand sew. I love having the company and sharing the love of the hobby is great. Also, it is great to see it all come together. My friend is so my more creative than I am.

Just make sure you bring over all the thread you need - a brand that she likes to use.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Find out her favorite color or line of fabric and get her a few yards of something to make her eyes light up.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Not knowing how old your sister's MIL is, I am 59 and my friends and I have gotten to the point that we really don't need anything, so being taken out for a meal is wonderful. Or if you have a local place that has gift cards, that is nice. And flowers are great too. Would she mind if you watched her do it? Then you can get an idea what all is entailed and maybe learn to do it. A friend comes over and in the beginning she was having me do the embroidery on my machine - now I have her do it. While she embroiders I do something else, like piece or quilt or hand sew. I love having the company and sharing the love of the hobby is great. Also, it is great to see it all come together. My friend is so my more creative than I am.

Just make sure you bring over all the thread you need - a brand that she likes to use.
She's about your age. I'm close with her, but not real close. Maybe that's why I kinda feel bad about asking her. I'm sure she wouldn't mind at all if I came over and observed. It would be a great learning experience for me too. I'm envious of her machine (and her room!! She's got a HUGE room dedicated to her sewing in her basement) and would love to be able to own one of my own someday. I just don't want her to feel "used."
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

You are so right to feel that way. I have a gal who does charity quilting on her long arm for me and also does it for free. I usually make her something and add a gift card to sweeten the pot. My gal is always busy with her quilt business and I feel she should be rewarded for her time and talent. I might add that she receives a tax letter credit for the work as well.

I never put her on the spot under a short deadline. I know she appreciates that.

All that being said, if you have the time and wish to barter another type of work she is not able to do, like yard work or sewing, maybe she would consider a barter of time for time?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 AM

I think going over if she is ok with it would be great! Also you might ask your sister if there are things that she has issues doing - although 59 is really pretty young. Maybe you could help out around the house, cook a meal or something she doesn't like or can never find the time (meaning she really hates doing it) to do. You never know you might be able to work something out to the benefit of both of you! I have a friend who is way more tech savie than I am and I sometimes trade her quilting for her help. It sometimes is somthing I could do but just won't because I hate it, like she is scanning my patterns in so that I can have them digital and make room for something else. I have another friend who has been helping me wrap and organize my fabric. Now if I could only find someone who was willing to trade housecleaning for quilting!!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

i love all of the suggestions here!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I think a gift certificate for a manicure or pedicure (or both!) would be really nice. It's what I would like to get!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM

Hmmm....what would I want if I were doing that for someone? Why not find out what kind of thread she uses when she quilts, and get her a gift certificate to a place that carries her thread? Or what kind of rulers does she want? Those can be expensive, and every LA quilter wants them desperately. Gadget Girls has lots of great rulers, so you could get her a GC to their online store. Or maybe a subscription to Machine Quilters Unlimited magazine. It's got great ideas for machine quilting, and it's a gift that gives all year long.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I also quilt for free for friends & relatives. They often bring me a small gift, but if they would clean (even dust!) while I quilt, that would be stupendous!!! Or do a couple loads of laundry. Or cook a whole meal, even with my groceries. I hate to cook, and for some reason my husband wants to eat EVERY DAY.