Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Peeling Olfa mat >

Peeling Olfa mat

Peeling Olfa mat

Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 AM

I wonder... "where" this new batch of mats is being manufactured. Could it be another example of a company out-sourcing a job to a third world country that produces poor quality results?

Lands End's quality clothing is no comparison now that they out sourced. Sizes, material and workmanship changed drastically. On another area of this forum I read a post about the quality of fabric from Kona being of poorer quality for the same reasons.

I guess the old adage of "Buyer Beware" is true. Our only option is to yell loud and use our wallets to send the message. What good is cheaper materials if they are poor quality?

Frankly, it ticks me off!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Olfa wanted the mat mailed flat, this was in a phone conversation before the email. And I would not be paid for shipping (it was my fault the mat peeled).
I only used a rotary cutter, Olfa one, on the mat. Every cut seemed to cut the top layer of the mat, looks like green ribbons.

I'm over the mat situation. LOL. I use it as a mat for underneath my sewing machine. I just won't buy another one.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Another cutting mat question, Several years ago I bought one of those white cutting board tables from Hancock Fabrics that fold up like a Duncan Pfife table. I bought the white cutting mat and the ironing board cover. I do not use the ironing board cover because it is just too cumbersome to keep changing tops but the cutting mat does not seem to like by cutting blades any more. Does anyone else own one and do they just get worn out over time and need to be replaced? It is not in bad shape, it just seems kind of brittle compared to my Olfa mats.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Mine is called a Duraheal made in Japan. I bought it about ten years ago at Joann's and it's still in great shape.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
Another cutting mat question, Several years ago I bought one of those white cutting board tables from Hancock Fabrics that fold up like a Duncan Pfife table. I bought the white cutting mat and the ironing board cover. I do not use the ironing board cover because it is just too cumbersome to keep changing tops but the cutting mat does not seem to like by cutting blades any more. Does anyone else own one and do they just get worn out over time and need to be replaced? It is not in bad shape, it just seems kind of brittle compared to my Olfa mats.
Every LQS worker in my area will tell you (or anyone who'll listen) not to buy the white mats. For some reason they are harder on the rotary blades and will dull them faster then any other kind of mat out there. I'm not sure why but after using theirs during a class, I can certainly agree and have vowed never to use one again. Blades are simply too pricey to have to replace often!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I have an Olfa, and it has never peeled. I don't think I will buy another one after reading this.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

where did you purchase your mat?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I was just at Joann's today and was looking at their mats; boy before I even got to the isle they were in, I could SMELL THEM!! Nope, I didn't buy one either.

What's your opinion on the pink and yellow ones (Fiskars) from walmart?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Does anyone have a mat like this? If so what do think about it?

It is a fiskars, yellow on one side, green on the other.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67455.jpe  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM

My 1st was a Fiskars. Mom gave me her bigger one. I almost wore the Fiskars out, rubbed all the markings off. HAd a lot of years but still good. I think I would go with it.