Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Peeling Olfa mat >

Peeling Olfa mat

Peeling Olfa mat

Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Call and talk to different rep. Usually a different person will answer cusomer when you call.

One Light Bulb at a Time

A physics teacher in high school, once told the students that while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would. This was obviously written by a good American.
We can make a difference with our buying power.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 PM

Gosh, hubby just got me one of the table sized white cutting mats from Joann's for Christmas and I love it! Makes cutting long strips so much easier. I will have to remember not to use it unless necessary for the larger pieces.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
My 1st was a Fiskars. Mom gave me her bigger one. I almost wore the Fiskars out, rubbed all the markings off. HAd a lot of years but still good. I think I would go with it.
Thanks Debra.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM

I bought one of there about 6 months ago and I love it, in fact, I use it on top of my white one that came with my cutting table. I have not had any problems with it and it is nice having the two different colors when cutting similar colored fabrics. It is always difficult for me to make a good cut when working on green fabrics on an Olfa mat.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM

I know that the folks from Olfa would be horrified if they read all of these comments. I'd send them the link to these pages. Let them read for themselves. Considering the cost of the cutting boards, they ought to last for years.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The cost of shipping the big mat flat would be more then the cost of a new one. I would think Olfa would want to see the mat and find the problem to prevent it from happening again. I was way wrong.
Olfa already knows what the problem is and has probably already corrected it. They just don't want to have the cost of replacing the defective ones (in my opinion).
I have an Olfa mat that is about 4 years old and is still going strong. Yours, obviously, was defective or a "new and improved" gone wrong.
Good luck to you.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 AM
JJs
Banned

You know, we are a 'throw-away' society - and it's getting worse - maybe this is Olfa's contribution to the frantic - buy it-use it-replace it mantra that has gripped the country in the last few decades.
My generation was raised by people who survived the Great Depression - use it up, wear it out, or do without - my parents didn't waste anything, and if something "still had some good in it", it wasn't replaced or thrown away.
OTOH, people HAVE to have top dollar wages, they "want" - they want a nice big house, they want that fancy car and boat and camper and vacation and stylish clothes and this that and the other thing... and somehow they've been convinced that they 'deserve it'.
To keep those big paychecks coming the companies make more - and then what? If the 'stuff' isn't bought the company loses out, the worker is forced to take a pay cut or laid off.
So, "stuff" is made to NEED REPLACING - built in obsolescence - cheap fabrics, cheap stitching, cheap upholstery, cheap woods, the list is endless. Americans weren't willing to give up the big paychecks to make all this replacement manufacturing/selling possible - so the companies moved to where people were willing to accept the tiny wages in order for the companies to still make huge profits - only they forgot to plan for that "one thing" - if people don't have the wages they can't BUY THE REPLACEMENTS - and this huge crash resulted.
Olfa is trading on it's reputation - how many people over the last years have recommended that folks "buy an Olfa mat - it's the best"... now they have boo-coodles of mats to sell and a great way to make you replace them - blame you if it gets ugly....
I'm all for a company making a profit - it's what keeps them in business after all. And I'm for a person making an honest wage - but running an electric screwdriver is NOT worth $40 an hour plus benefits I don't care how you try to justify it. And then there's the wallyworld mentality - lets buy the cheapest stuff at the cheapest price and people will buy it - I don't know about your local walmarts but ours is getting rid of ALL CHOICES - there are two brands of stuff in the grocery section - the "great value" stuff and one (1) major brand - wow wonderful choice - so we try to "shop local"...

geez.... got carried away - anyhow, I have a great suggestion - don't buy another Olfa - and for heaven's sake, learn how to cut - buwwahahahahaaaaa
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM

JJs, I tend to agree with much you said. I am glad that you too noticed the lack of choice at the new "improved" Wallysworld. I mentioned it to one of the cashiers and she tried to tell me that they actually have more, that they have expanded some of the departments...well, yea, with more of their brands! Go figure!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 AM

What is bad is that Walmart great value has all white labels & you have to look forever to find the right can. That is a lie because they never have Newman's Own pizza or a lot of other brands. Just a select bunch. You have to go to Krogers to get a large variety here.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

We don't have Kroger in this area and haven't for lots of years. I wish we did - I always shooped there when they were in this area. I think the unions ran them out because of higher wages, Etc. I am getting fed up with Wally World, seems since they are building all these new Super Centers, everyday and all practical items are going up almost every week. Local grocery stores are high priced also and have always been. I don't know where it will go or when it will stop. I bought a Fiskars large size mat 14-15 years ago and it has cut lines in it but has not peeled. I use it all the time.