Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Perfect" Jelly Roll

Don't really care for precuts much. Want to plan my quilt and not have 42 different fabrics in it...unless it is a scrappy quilt of course

40 different fabrics, an exact 2 1/2 inches wide, no pinked edges. Isn't that what all we jelly roll buyers want?

Blog Entries
    40 strips cut exactly for sure. If there are other numbers in the roll, it should have a clearly different name than Jelly Roll. I have come to think Jelly Roll = 40 2.5 strips.
    Not to be a "stick in the mud" but I like 2-4 of each print, thank you very much. That way, you might be able to bind (creatively) with your strips as well, 'specially if you love a print set and buy more than one standard jelly roll.
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 06-19-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: grammar
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Blog Entries
    * blenders suitable for binding four each in a roll of 40.......would be like a binding stash for the charity quilts for children

or could always buy two pkg. blenders suitable for binding, that would be usefull

But the number one most imprtant thing is accuracy 2.5 inches not more/not less for sure
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 06-19-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Why do they name all of the pre cuts for baked goods?
    Marketing... It makes the products sound sweet and desirable. Moda has a blog called the "Bake Shop" that gives ideas to use all the precuts,

Although I think a "jelly roll" is technically a term only for Moda brand. But it has become the common term kind of like Kleenex/Tissue. (Kauffman, for example calls theirs "roll ups". Connecting Threads just calls them strips.)

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=GrannieAnnie;5298239]a jewel tone set of batiks, including red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange with the addition of rose and gold.

Several variations of each of those colors,, NO doubles[/QUOTE

This sounds great to me, too! :0

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4.
    I just made a small 50" x50" quilt using 20 jelly roll strips. If I'd made a mistake, 20 would not have been enough for me! Actually, the roll I used contained 30 strips but as it was sort of monochromatic, I chose to add a complementary color for a little more zing to the overall design. I ended up using the complement for the binding as well. Throwing in a "wild card" with the others might be fun too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    Anywhere from 40 to 400 cream/beige/vanilla pudding/soft butter/rice krispy squares/ kind of colors.
    Because you never have enough of those.

Carole
    This would be my choice as well Carole. You have good taste, lol.

Mine would be:

Perfect 2 1/2"
    No pinking on the edges
    No duplicates - this means no exact duplicates and no pattern duplicates (same pattern, different color)
    Batiks - no dark dull colors!!

Mine would be 20 strips of straight edged cut 2 1/2 inch rose patterned fabric on black backgrounds - all different.

So far the only jelly rolls I have purchased have been batiks. They have been the smaller ones with 24 strips that Walmart has. The batiks have been the only ones that I felt were ones I could use.

So I guess my 'perfect' jelly roll would also be batiks. I would prefer all the fabrics in the roll to actually work well together. It seems like there's always one that just doesn't quite fit with the rest and gets set aside. IF there are duplicates, then an equal number of each...not 4 of this one and 3 of that one and 2 of something else. But I agree that all different but coordinating would be good.

I also like the suggestion of a group of blenders in various colorways. Although I think the blenders might be better in larger pieces than a jelly roll. . .maybe 1/2 yard pieces of the coordinating colors.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I agree with everything said. Sometimes the manufacturer thinks they know more than the consumer. Sigh!

This was a good survey and I agree about all fabrics being different. I'd love more "neutral" jelly rolls too.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

I find it interesting that everyone wants unique fabrics, but also wants 40 strips.

What should a manufacturer do if there are not 40 fabrics in the line? Connecting Threads (who sells strip sets, not Jelly Rolls) sends you one strip of each fabric, not 40 strips- and prices accordingly. Since Moda has defined their rolls as 40 strips, they seem to have no choice but to include duplicates for lines with fewer fabrics (and almost no line has 40 fabrics). Would you prefer they combine lines?

I have only tried a JR one time... it wasn't fabrics I was in love with, but it was on clearance so it wasn't a costly experiment. I enjoyed it, and like how it turned out, but I admit that I added strips cut from fabrics in my stash. Why did I add fabrics? because there just wasn't enough contrast in the strips as packaged. That's what keeps me from buying more. Mostly they are gorgeous fabrics, but just a little blah. So my perfect JR would have accurate 2 1/2 cuts and plenty of contrast in the fabrics.
    "Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them."
    ---Lady Bird Johnson

Blog Entries
    The "perfect jellyroll" would be a "perfect" 2 1/2", with 42 count, one of each color or print, batik preferrably
    Retired & enjoying life

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    a jewel tone set of batiks, including red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange with the addition of rose and gold.
    Yea! Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    A perfect jelly roll in batiks would have no doubles.. And be either dark & meduim , or light and medium. And have no less than 40 strips... and no DUDS! I would also like to be able to see a better photo of what I am purchasing , Seeing a shot of a sealed package is not enough info to make a good decision. Even when you go to a shop , most are all sealed up and you can only see about 1/4 inch of the fabric.
    I would also like a jelly roll of natural on natural color background or white on white in 20 no duplicate ( if I wanted doubles I would order 2).
    How about a jelly roll of metalics !!! wow ! I would be all over that one!
    I order one jelly roll set -- cherry -- but it was much more to the pink end of the spectrum. I was disappointed.

At least 42 strips, no two alike, and be reasonably priced! It's really hard for me to shell out almost $40 for a jelly roll. I usually see if I can find them on sale. The only one so far that I just HAD to have is the Sandhill Plumes and I had to pay full price.... I found the layer cake on sale almost a month ago and finally found the JR.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

With "juniors", if you need two you still have the problem of duplicates...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    oooohhh....you girls are toooo funny!!!
    Eliminate "can't" from your vocabulary and see what happens.

Blog Entries
    a jewel tone set of batiks, including red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange with the addition of rose and gold.

Several variations of each of those colors,, NO doubles
    I would definitely buy three or more of these!

Several variations of each of those colors,, NO doubles
    ABSOLUTELY, this is exactly what I would be wanting!!

Blog Entries
    a perfect JR for me would be reds, lots of reds, cause i need them for my Log Cabin Quilt, and naturals, off white, tans and beige, maybe 25-30 in a pack, ok i am happy now, so where do i find them. lol
    Mary

Jelly rolls with 40 no two alike... some stores are already selling jelly rolls with 20 in them with two alike ... and when you buy 2 you then have 4 alike,,,, uggg..
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's learning how to dance in the rain!

I have found 20 count jelly rolls from Liz Katsuro whose site is [email protected]. They are very nice and she has lots of solids should you need to add those to the pattern fabric roll. I have used them for several quilts and so far they run true. When I started buying them they were $9.97. They now start at $13.97. She usually has a special where you purchase so many and receive a free one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast