Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The "Perfect" Jelly Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Ok... so the perfect JR would be more like a charm pack, in that every fabric would be different?
    This concept is appealing.
    Learning something new everyday from all of you.

Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4. You could control whether you got duplicates or not, by ordering two of the same, or two different, "junior"s.

What do you think?
    This is the post I intended to reply to .... I like this concept.
    Learning something new everyday from all of you.

perfect jelly roll in batiks would have no doubles.. And be either dark & meduim , or light and medium. And have no less than 40 strips... and no DUDS! I would also like to be able to see a better photo of what I am purchasing , Seeing a shot of a sealed package is not enough info to make a good decision. Even when you go to a shop , most are all sealed up and you can only see about 1/4 inch of the fabric.
    I would also like a jelly roll of natural on natural color background or white on white in 20 no duplicate ( if I wanted doubles I would order 2).

I would love to have a jelly roll with all soft neurtral colors to use with fabrics I have. Why are light, neurtral colors so difficult to find?
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I've never used a jelly roll, so I'm only guessing. For one thing, 40 different pieces would drive me crazy (I don't do random very well -- well, not well at all.) So I'm thinking One focus fabric- a few of those, one solid, one or two blenders, and perhaps another one that would compliment the focus fabric. The number of strips divided equally. That probably sounds ridiculous to those of you who use jelly rolls for those gorgeous scrappy looking quilts.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I have never bought a Jelly Roll yet - still too new at quilting to explore that far - but I think I would like the Jr. j/roll (20), well blended (I am still learning color/pattern conception) and being able to buy a Jr. j/roll of the neutrals(?) like white on white or white and beige - to me "seems" very like-able and do-able to work with. (Back on my perch!) :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I am not a fan of jelly rolls. I don't usually do strip pieced patterns. I prefer to have my fabric in yard goods. Jelly roll prices have gone up so much I have no desire to buy one.

I have only used one jelly roll and it was for a jelly roll race quilt so the measurements were important but ideal row should be exact measurements. I used Bali Pops (I know a lot of people have problems with them) and I liked them. First they are batiks, they are all different and they are packaged so you can see what you get. That would be my perfect jelly roll

Just a good assortment..no "uglies" stuck in the middle. Batiks or cottons. At least 40--50 would be better. 20 is just not enough. Definitely no doubles and last, but not least, 2 1/2 inches. Not 2 3/8 or 2 5/8 or 5 different sizes! There has to be a way to cut perfect 2 1/2 in. strips!

I would have to go with jewel tone batiks, and no pinked edges, either.

Ok... so the perfect JR would be more like a charm pack, in that every fabric would be different?
    Yes, I would prefer no duplicates. But the 40 count is more important to me. The perfect jelly roll to me would be one that had a more even distribution of darks & lights. Too many jelly rolls don't have enough lights. I also like "themes" (patriotic, baby) & the batiks sound good... but maybe jewel-tones in one, pastels in another, etx. I also like one tonal color jelly rolls. And the packaging? I like how Moda does theirs... a rolls. I don;t like them folded because then you have to iron them. Can you tell I just love Jelly Rolls? LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4. You could control whether you got duplicates or not, by ordering two of the same, or two different, "junior"s.

What do you think?
    I think that's a great idea! You could use a single roll for a baby quilt or get more rolls if you needed more.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    Anywhere from 40 to 400 cream/beige/vanilla pudding/soft butter/rice krispy squares/ kind of colors.
    Because you never have enough of those.

Carole
    Oooh... yummy! You could use that to make one of those beautiful neutral colored quilts I keep seeing (& lusting after) here on the board. Yay!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I like that concept , aren't some manufactures doing this? I thought I saw some smaller jelly rolls.
    It would be nice if at least a few of the fabrics in the roll had a easy way to order yardage to go with the jelly roll. I am typically looking for yardage to go with in either the lightest or darkest color in the jelly roll. This is a particular issue with batiks. ...or at least list on the package what the manufactures numbers are so if I really want yardage of one I can have some starting point for the search.
    I agree. On Charm Pack, they have the fabric numbers on a piece of paper included so ordering fabric is easier but not so much with jelly rolls. And I also agree about it being especially hard with batiks. I have a jelly roll race right now waiting for borders. I've ordered 2 different times, trying to match one of the darks & both have been wrong (granted, I can always use them for something else but my JRR still isn't done... waaaaah!).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    my 'perfect' jelly roll would have straight-cut edges (not pinked), and actually measure 2" ... all 20 strips different (there are usually not even 20 fabrics in a 'collection.
    I have mixed feelings about the pinked edges. Sometimes it makes it easier to line them up but other times they're a pain.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    A perfect jelly roll would be 40 strips with no doubles. All the fabrics would be bright cheerful 30's prints. And the fabric would feel wonderful. I do have a jelly roll with 30's prints, but she snuck some doubles in there and they are totally ugly !! I felt really cheated when I got home and opened them to check them out. Sure cost me a pretty penny for those ugly Men's underwear type fabrics (my Mother made me iron my stepfather's boxers in the 1960's).
    OMG! That's how I learned to iron, too (well, ironing my dad's boxers... that would be downright weird if I were ironing your step-dad's... LOL!). When I tell people that now, they look at me like I've been smoking crack! I learned on boxers, my dad's hankies (he always carried a clean hanky) & tea towels (my mom liked linen ones & they wrinkled like no body's business). What do kids learn to iron on nowadays???
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    I have made jelly roll quilts. The perfect jelly roll for me would have 60 strips and 40 makes the quilt too small. No repeats. I would like bright modern prints. Nothing old fogey, civil war type stuff.
    Oh, I'd KILL for a Civil War Jelly Roll! If you don't like them, send yours to me!!! LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I would like a novelty jelly roll. I am probably the only one on here that makes strip quilts using novelty prints.

It's good "marketing". Who does not remember Jelly Roll as a 2 1/2" strip?? Moda Bake Shop?
    Kleenex is anther example. We think tissue .

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Red Hot.....by Blank Quilting. CHeck their website. They have Lots of different strip groups. They call them Fabrications.sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

How about if they were displayed like these (from Blank Fabrics)? I kinda like it...

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  33.3 KB
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I think I have bought only one jelly roll -- there are so many issues with them. The perfect jellyroll in my book would be a perfect 2.5" cut -- and they must be cut straight with no pinking and no wobbles in the strips. I prefer 40 in a package and would prefer unique cuts. I would prefer an assortment of strips in one color way with no two alike. I need to be able to see the pattern and color of each strip (don't like them rolled up).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I agree with the "no doubles"
    Pat
    Patsy

Jelly Rolls are are "scrappy" . Unless you custom cut your own strips, you may not be thrilled which each and every assortment. They're not for every quilter. But in spite of their "imperfections".....they sure are popular!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbea View Post
    I would like a novelty jelly roll. I am probably the only one on here that makes strip quilts using novelty prints.
    No, I would love one. It would be great for a baby quilt!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    It's good "marketing". Who does not remember Jelly Roll as a 2 1/2" strip?? Moda Bake Shop?
    Kleenex is anther example. We think tissue .

Sandy
    I've heard them referred to as "worms" & "noodles" also. But I agree... Jelly Roll is like Kleenex or Jell-o.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast