Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be....... >

The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be.......

The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be.......

Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM

My favorite is not quite perfect, but it comes pretty close. It's the Quilt Box in Dry Ridge, KY. The staff is friendly and helpful, the selection is great (most of it is $8.99) and it's not in a strip shopping center but out in the country in a log cabin down a dirt road with beautiful flower gardens all around. It's a good thing it's 20 miles from me or I'd spend all the mortgage money on fabric!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM

I agree with all posts so far and the one-stop shop. I was in Grand Rapids, MI, with my son a few weeks ago and had to visit to LQS. It had it all, including a very friendly saleslady. She greeted me with a great smile and we chatted like we've known each other for years. They had everything -- fabric, notions, 3 different brands of machines, sergers, etc., etc., etc. They even had a separate (nice size) room for classes.

VickiG
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM

I would say -- carry the whole line of a fabric. Nothing like seeing a fabric to die for and finding out they only care 2 or 3 of the line.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM

This has happened to me more than once. If no one talks to me I leave
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Originally Posted by quiltluvr
The perfect quilt shop would allow me to shop for free. :lol:

They would carry the complete fabric lines of fabrics that I like and notions of all sorts. They would offer more classes.
quiltluvr, you are so silly :lol:
Thank you, thank you very much. (in my best Elvis voice)
I'll be playing here all week. :mrgreen:
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 PM

The closest (20 min) LQS to me is one of the snotty types, they follow me like glue, I must look like the typical shoplifter, (I'm fair complexion Hispanic) & I have a friend who is fair complexican Afician American-they totally ignore her, won't even wait on her when she has fabric at the cutting counter. My non ethnic friends love that store, they always know when there are good sales but the owner never sends me or my ethnic friend their newsletter, even via email. And we're senior citizens, not rowdy youngsters. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking I was being too sensitive, but won't go back again.
Their loss, I spend a lot on fabric. Another 2 stores, farther away, are wonderful, but I can't get to them often because of the distance, so do online shopping.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM

I go the the greatest LQS, Fireside Quilts in Sanford, Fl, Kenda is great and always willing to help you. Also The Quilt Box in Dry Ridge, Ky is a cute shop and I have a friend that works there.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Well, today I got to go to Eleanor Burns Quilt In A Day shop in San Marcos, CA (northrn San Diego County). What a treat! They were having big sale (overstock bought for Paducah), and almost all fabrics (except batiks) was on sale for $4 and $5 per yard. The sales people were really friendly and no long lines. The sale last til June 10th. We even got to meet Eleanor Burns herself, and chatted for awhile. Do you know, they tear the fabric after making a small cut a little beyond the yardage asked for? Didn't know shops did that anymore. My 3 friends and I had loads of fun, and spent some money.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 PM

I went into the closest LQS to me once, when I had started on my first quilt (a pinwheel). When I told the lady what I was working on she began to tell me that pattern is NOT for beginners and how beginners usually make so many mistakes and how all beginners should take a class and learn to do things the right way (which she wouldn't elaborate on). It was in the way she said everything and I began referring to her in my mind as the Quilt Nazzi. I went to go back there a few weeks ago to look for some specialty fabric and the store is gone. I get much more helpful information and much nicer ladies at my local FabricLand.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Ahhhh the perfect quilt shop............I like all of you want. 1) good customer service 2) lots of fabric choices, bolts n bolts plus fat qts, jelly rolls, etc 3) kits 4) large classroom space 5) sewing groups to join 6) snack area where cookies/crackers would be provided or available for a nominal fee (so shopping won't be disrupted by hunger pains) 7) lots of notions. Ahhh to dream........