Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be....... >

The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be.......

The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be.......

Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Most of our LQS have closed here. We have only 2 left, & they're in locations that are kind harder to get to, But there is a Fabric Land in Saskatoon on the Confederation side of town, & they have such a neat store & such friendly staff. Not LQS quality, but I can't always afford that anyway.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Good lighting.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Pam

My dream shop would belong to me. I have the perfect place picked out, it is cozy, but 3 floors, so 3rd floor would be all set up for classes. It would easiily accomodate up to 30 people with their own machines. (No having to figure out anyone else's tension problems)!

2nd floor for backings, battings, used machines (no high pressure sales, if you like a machine buy it), a sewing machine repairman on site who knows and can fix ALL and several long arms for customers to rent.

The first floor would be for the eye candy, fabrics, books and patterns.

But I really have not given this much thought.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 AM

Threads of Time in Danville, Illinois. Not only do they have have loads of fabrics from CW to the latest in Batiks and everything in between but they also have notions, and a retreat center called Threads and Beds, several class rooms, a seminar center, 6 large design walls, several kitchen areas, bathrooms, showers, etc. There's also a fabulous yarn shop and a custom sewing/alterations shop in their building.
http://www.threadsoftimefab.com
Add to all this a very friendly and helpful staff and what more could you ask for? For the most part Bill and Missy, the owners, will remember your name after your first visit.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maire
The closest (20 min) LQS to me is one of the snotty types, they follow me like glue, I must look like the typical shoplifter, (I'm fair complexion Hispanic) & I have a friend who is fair complexican Afician American-they totally ignore her, won't even wait on her when she has fabric at the cutting counter. My non ethnic friends love that store, they always know when there are good sales but the owner never sends me or my ethnic friend their newsletter, even via email. And we're senior citizens, not rowdy youngsters. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking I was being too sensitive, but won't go back again.
Their loss, I spend a lot on fabric. Another 2 stores, farther away, are wonderful, but I can't get to them often because of the distance, so do online shopping.
That type of behaviour totally disgusts me! Shame on them!!! Glad I wasn't there when this happened to you -- they would have gotten an earful, after you left (I don't embarrass the innocent). And, I wouldn't have returned either. For what it's worth, I'm as white as my cat Rudy. Absolutely no excuse for them. :thumbdown:
Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 AM

I have 4 Quiltstores right in town and one only 10 miles away. Each of these shops are unique in its own way, different fabric lines, different ways of display but all of them have very friendly and helpful staff. I usually know what I want but I'm always glad they make their suggestions.
I have a JoAnn's very close but I hardly buy fabric there. I like the coupons and I buy accessories with them.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QBeth
The closest (20 min) LQS to me is one of the snotty types, they follow me like glue, I must look like the typical shoplifter, (I'm fair complexion Hispanic) & I have a friend who is fair complexican Afician American-they totally ignore her, won't even wait on her when she has fabric at the cutting counter. My non ethnic friends love that store, they always know when there are good sales but the owner never sends me or my ethnic friend their newsletter, even via email. And we're senior citizens, not rowdy youngsters. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking I was being too sensitive, but won't go back again.
Their loss, I spend a lot on fabric. Another 2 stores, farther away, are wonderful, but I can't get to them often because of the distance, so do online shopping.
That type of behaviour totally disgusts me! Shame on them!!! Glad I wasn't there when this happened to you -- they would have gotten an earful, after you left (I don't embarrass the innocent). And, I wouldn't have returned either. For what it's worth, I'm as white as my cat Rudy. Absolutely no excuse for them. :thumbdown:
I am with you on this one and I am just as white. But me being the type of person I am I would have torn them a new one and stomped it dry in front of God and everyone!!

You can ask my wife I have no problem embarrassing some one or speaking my mind.

Billy
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM

That type of behaviour totally disgusts me! Shame on them!!! Glad I wasn't there when this happened to you -- they would have gotten an earful, after you left (I don't embarrass the innocent). And, I wouldn't have returned either. For what it's worth, I'm as white as my cat Rudy. Absolutely no excuse for them. :thumbdown:[/quote]

What they do isn't obvious to others, who if like me, get into a quilt shop and become immediately engrossed in the fabric & idea, the creative brain going full speed & totally unaware what else is going on around them.
So that is why on my first couple of visits thought it was me being too sensitive, but after talking about it with a couple of friends realized it was a pattern.
Most of their fabric though is geared to the more serious quilters, they don't carry the whimsical novelty fabrics more for fun quilts that can go on a picnic, those are the fabrics I enjoy. Another store farther away carries the more fun fabrics & the people are great. And that store sends out email newsletters of sales, etc, so when I do shop my money will go there.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:40 AM

I'd have to go back one more time and do something outrageous---Like have them cut a bunch of fabric, pile up a huge amount of notions and then after it's all rung up say, "You know what? You people have treated me badly every time I've been here so I don't think I really want you to have any of my money. I've changed my mind about the fabric but not about your snottiness and rude behavior." Then I'd walk out. We had a store like that here. I went there one day and they were extremely rude so I walked out. I went back the next day (when the owner was there) walked right up to the woman that had been so rude and said in a rather loud voice, "I walked out of here yesterday and told myself I'd never come back because of your extreme rudeness. Then when I got home I decided that perhaps you were just having a really bad day so I came back today to give you another chance to wait on me. If you manage to do better today then maybe I'll come back again. If you persist in your nastiness then I'll leave and won't come back. That way I'll be happy and you can go on your miserable way. Would you care to play nice today?" She waited on me that day and tried very hard to be nice, but I could tell that the owner was waiting for me to leave in order to pounce. They're closed down now.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am with you on this one and I am just as white. But me being the type of person I am I would have torn them a new one and stomped it dry in front of God and everyone!!

You can ask my wife I have no problem embarrassing some one or speaking my mind.

Billy
Billy, I couldn't agree more. It's just that I would have waited until Maire and her friend had left (the innocent ones) before letting my opinion be known!

Maire, I agree that most of us are in la-la land looking at fabric and such to notice things in the background. So, people who normally would be outraged by their behaviour aren't aware of what's going on. Plus, I think this type of behaviour is so unexpected in the quilting world, we wouldn't think to keep the "eyes in the back of our head" open.