Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: the PERFECT quilting/craft room

the PERFECT quilting/craft room

I have just been wondering lately what would make the best quilting room. What would be your must have in your dream room? I wish I could take all the ideas and make a perfect room. But that will not be for quite awhile.

Floor to ceiling shelving with glass doors!....and a cutting table at counter height....floors with no carpeting....electrical outlets everywhere....windows for natural lighting.....heating/ac to keep a constant temp and humidity.....doors to keep out the furry critters (cats and dogs) because they leave fur and fuzz everywhere!....flatscreen tv that I can hook up my computer to, so I can see the patterns and instructions in great big size!....and plenty of room to expand so if my ship ever comes in I can get that longarm (I can dream can't I?)

With a wave of my magic wand .... the sandwich is sandwiched and ready for me to quilt!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I have my dream room, for me, a cutting table at counter height..bamboo hard wood floors, lots of outlets so I can plug in all 10 machines, (4 featherweights, 4 Pfaff 7570s, a Pfaff serger, and a Nolting mid arm, a Ott light at each machine, TV Stero, DVDs on quilting and sewing, fireplace for the winter to make it cozy, love seat sofa to sit in comfort to do hand work, heat and air, big board ironing board, fabric and batting storage areas, room for bookcase for my quilting books. Drawers for tools by each machine. 8 office rolling chairs, and lap top on coffee table with EQ, and fun things around so room does not look stuffy, a fun place to be in for young, ( my 4H gals love it,) and old, I love it too, and I'm old as dirt! I also have Molly, my maid, she is a robot and keeps threads and lint picked up, what more could one ask for?
    Last edited by leaha; 05-31-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: forgot, french doors going out to covered patio, with comfortable furniture.
    dare to dream

Hi Leaha, Can I move in with you? I live in a one bedroom apartment..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    Hi Leaha, Can I move in with you? I live in a one bedroom apartment..
    yeah I even have a guest room, :-) and a darling little house for dyeing and painting fabric, it even has it's own patio, and covered front porch, it also has it's own heat and air. come and Play!!!
    dare to dream

Quote Originally Posted by leaha View Post
    I have my dream room, for me, a cutting table at counter height..bamboo hard wood floors, lots of outlets so I can plug in all 10 machines, (4 featherweights, 4 Pfaff 7570s, a Pfaff serger, and a Nolting mid arm, a Ott light at each machine, TV Stero, DVDs on quilting and sewing, fireplace for the winter to make it cozy, love seat sofa to sit in comfort to do hand work, heat and air, big board ironing board, fabric and batting storage areas, room for bookcase for my quilting books. Drawers for tools by each machine. 8 office rolling chairs, and lap top on coffee table with EQ, and fun things around so room does not look stuffy, a fun place to be in for young, ( my 4H gals love it,) and old, I love it too, and I'm old as dirt! I also have Molly, my maid, she is a robot and keeps threads and lint picked up, what more could one ask for?

If you have a couple of your quilts hanging or displayed, then I would say your set up is just perfect!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    If you have a couple of your quilts hanging or displayed, then I would say your set up is just perfect!
    4 quilts right now and the one I am working on is on the flannel wall.
    dare to dream

Blog Entries
    the washer and dryer, along with a bathroom, must be attached. it should have its own entrance so my friends don't have to parade through the house and bother the rest of the family.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    It's fun to dream, isn't it?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Would love everything you all have described but would love a huge huge room too so I could set up lots of tables so my friends could come and sew.
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

I'd like a money tree in one corner and a chocolate tree in another.

I want Leahas' room with Dunsters addition and a multicoloured fabric tree as well.

Power Poster
    Whatever one does or gets - there will be something new that one wishes one had - or something that one wishes one would have done differently -

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Buckeye Rose pretty much summed it up for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    Floor to ceiling shelving with glass doors!....and a cutting table at counter height....floors with no carpeting....electrical outlets everywhere....windows for natural lighting.....heating/ac to keep a constant temp and humidity.....doors to keep out the furry critters (cats and dogs) because they leave fur and fuzz everywhere!....flatscreen tv that I can hook up my computer to, so I can see the patterns and instructions in great big size!....and plenty of room to expand so if my ship ever comes in I can get that longarm (I can dream can't I?)

If I may suggest a couple changes. Solid doors on the storage----------prevent sun damage. Or if you can afford it, the special glass that prevents fading.

On the electrical outlet------put them all at table/counter height. Personally, I hate having to crawl under stuff to pull in cords.

On piece of furniture I'd insist on would be a very comfy rocker/recliner to sit in when doing hand work.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by leaha View Post
    yeah I even have a guest room, :-) and a darling little house for dyeing and painting fabric, it even has it's own patio, and covered front porch, it also has it's own heat and air. come and Play!!!
    Sassafras Ridge??????
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    It's fun to dream, isn't it?
    I guess, but someone in Florida is getting my dreaming money.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Whatever one does or gets - there will be something new that one wishes one had - or something that one wishes one would have done differently -

The trick in that case is to build a room big enough for several new gadgets on down the road.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I'd like a money tree in one corner and a chocolate tree in another.
    I'd rather have a caramel tree. What the heck, I'll just be selfish. Give me a genie in a bottle. I'd probably end up with that car genie that doesn't hear correctly.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    When I win the lottery, my sewing "room" will be the two (or 3) car garage. LOTS of electrical outlets, counter-level cutting table, big windows (for lighting, and for the view), lots of storage space. Also will have a tv so I can watch all the tutes on something besides my laptop. It will have space for my LA machine, and no carpeting to catch all the threads and bits of materials. A small fridge for refreshing drinks. Oooh, I love the idea of the washer/dryer/ironing area. A whole design wall, instead of the floor, or my bed. Several display areas for completed quilts. Yep, that's what I'm gonna do, when I win. Oh, wait... that means I have to stop quilting long enough to actually go buy a ticket. Nah, not happening. But it is fun to dream.

I am so glad you started this thread!!!! I am in the process of having built a 14X34 building for a sewing room(?) area (?) whatever it ends up being called. I am soooooooooooo excited!! Something I have always wanted. Now I have more ideas for how I want it.

Plug ins about 3' off the floor-wood floors of some kind (possibly vynial?)-electrician wants to put in "canned lights", unsure on that one, going to be LOTS of them, maybe about every 4'- lots of shelving- Now what else do I need?

Thanks for all your help and keep the ideas coming.

Billie G
    So. Idaho-between Nevada & Sun Valley, Ida

Blog Entries
    I have laminate flooring in my sewing room and love it. The only thing I would do differently tho, is to have either a extra or heavier vapor barrier put down before the flooring. I think it would have helped to keep the floor a little warmer in the winter.

Blog Entries
    I have canned lights in my sewing room and they are great! Produce lots of light with very little shadow -- a big plus when I actually quilting a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I would have a room big enough for a large table to cut out my fabric on, sewing table with lots of side drawers, lots of windows for natural light, little ironing board table to the left of me to use while I am sitting down. Lots of shelves up and down the walls. Laminate flooring. Couple of easy chairs to relax in. Special containers to go in some shelves for projects being worked on, and fabric being stored. Just the right shelving for all my sewing books/magazines. Plenty of out lets, Plenty of hooks on certain areas of the walls to have cheerful items. Nice music playing in the background. Just the right window treatment. I am working on this now, but a long way from it. I have the room which is a bedroom right now, but in the process of turning it into full sewing room. Bit by slow bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast