Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist >

Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM

I have been told I'm a perfectionist, but my quilts & yarn crafts are my projects to do with as I please. There are errors in everything I make, but I only fix the glaring ones. The others are 'design elements.'
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM

I think your wiring and personal investment in the issue play a part. For me, it’s a question of time, importance, and personal satisfaction. I tier my activities to goals which reinforce completion and what I gain by doing so. Sewing wise, it may include skill acquisition, mastery, or undertaking a challenge. Whether you’re learning a language or sewing a quilt; the why is paramount. Its the thing that spurs you on when you’re tired, bored or frustrated.

This isn’t a case of perfection versus good enough but the standard you’ve developed for your craft. I pursue excellence because the feeling of accomplishment is very satisfying.

In 2016 I challenged myself to read more. I set a goal of 100 books and decided to start the classics reading challenge I’ve wanted to take on. But when I began something clicked within me and I increased the goal and settled on 250 books. I finished the year with 350. Since that time I’ve finished 751 titles and built a lifestyle around my interests and goals. I accomplish significantly more because I focus on the finish line.

When I altered my reading goal my daughter said it was crazy. But she was wrong and I finished Les Miserable in 2 weeks!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:53 AM

Watch out for the quilt police. ( aren't you glad there isn't such a thing, is there?)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 AM

I'm an "as perfect as *I* can make it-ist." I do my absolute best, and as my skills improve, that will get better. I'm super-critical of myself and my work, but lately, I've been happy with the things I've been doing. Not sure if I'm just being kinder with myself, or if I really am just getting better at doing things. Doesn't really matter as long as I'm satisfied that I really did do my best.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 AM

I am not a perfectionist, but I do like to "do my best". I spent a few hours last night ripping out a few rows of quilting.
I just could not get the tension correct (was using a different thread). So, I decided it was not my best and ripped it out. Will start again today to get the usual thread in there and get that quilt done!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I like "best". I feel good when I achieve it, but with chronic health issues,
what is my best one day may not be achievable for another. Lol, then the
bar is moved and I do my best "for that day".
Oh I can remember a time when I would have come back and done it all
over again. That made me feel better then.
Now, giving myself a break feels better and no one is the wiser.
So many factors involved in what satisfies a person. So interesting, so
interesting!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM

I’m a good enough-ist. I read somewhere when I got started that if you sat the quilt down and walk away a few feet, and can’t see the problem, it’s only noticeable to you. So that’s been my motto until I get so frustrated that I just want to hurry up and finish it and never look at it again.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SarahBethie View Post
In 2016 I challenged myself to read more. I set a goal of 100 books and decided to start the classics reading challenge I’ve wanted to take on. But when I began something clicked within me and I increased the goal and settled on 250 books. I finished the year with 350. Since that time I’ve finished 751 titles and built a lifestyle around my interests and goals. I accomplish significantly more because I focus on the finish line.

When I altered my reading goal my daughter said it was crazy. But she was wrong and I finished Les Miserable in 2 weeks!
Wow! I just can't read that fast.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM
anonymous

I am definitely a person who tries to do my best. It can be done, other people have done it so why can't I? I like the challenge. Quilts are like a puzzle. I think if you let the details slide "a little", it is like that darn quarter inch, it will come back and bite you and you actually make it harder on yourself in the long run. I love the fact that quilting is totally up to each person. Color, pattern, tools, machine, ......it is all your choice and what is right for you may not be right for me, but that is absolutely all okay. Love it. When it isn't fun anymore, that is when I will give it up, but I'm not there yet.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM

my dad used to say " if it's worth doing it's worth doing it right" so I try to do it right, that does not mean perfect, each quilt is a learning project, so if I find mistakes I try not to do that in next quilt. I'm still learning I'm only 75 so have a way to go, only have made around 500 quilts still have not made a perfect one yet, I have 3ed, 2ed, 1st, and a best of show quilts, and not one is perfect. Just do the best you can, and be happy with you can do.