Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff good machine for piecing? >

pfaff good machine for piecing?

pfaff good machine for piecing?

Old 11-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I have a Pfaff Expressions 4 and use it daily for all my piecing and quilt binding. Pricey but this will probably be my last machine.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:41 AM

Thank u. I'm going to go in a few days (got flue at the moment) to speak with the pfaff man and see if I can have a play on a few of the machines. I'm going to take some Jean hens I cut off and a small quilt sandwich x and go from there. Thank u all again
Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by stella63 View Post
Pfaff for piecing? I've got a bernina 830 (currently in the shop being fixed! )and I find the 9mm wide feed system is not good for 1/4 piecing I also have a janome txl 607 that I keep for regular classes and I like to keep it in the bag with all its bits ready to grab, that way I know I don't forget anything essential like the power lead lol ask me how I know! . So I was looking at the pfaff 3.2 select and like the look of the dual feed and wondered if it is good for piecing? ( I have heard is good for thick fabrics like jean hems .) If not can u suggest one that is .
I have two Pfaff's, an older 1209 and a bit newer one a 2034. I especially love the older one although right now the bobbin winder isn't working so have to use a portable winder. I tried to buy the parts needed for the repair of the winder but was only able to get 3 of the 4 tiny pieces that we needed. It's still a great machine, wouldn't part with it for anything even though it's 35 years old. It's great at piecing and I have made tons of clothes with it. I have not had great luck with free motion quilting but I think that is me and not the machine as I'm still learning. The 2034 does a good job too and I like the needle down and slower speed for the fmq.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
I would not worry about the manufacturing being moved. I also have a 30 year old Pfaff made in germany as well as my pfaff embroidery machine and performance 5 at their new manufacturing site. The new machines work as beautifully and precicely as the old one and have all kinds of modern additions. They seem to have adhered to the same standards of quality and I have no regrets on their purchase.
I have to agree with this. I got a Performance 5.0 about 6 months ago to upgrade from my 20 year old Pfaff that was made in Germany. I was worried about the change in manufacturing location. I love my new Pfaff! The quality is there and my stitches are even better than on the old machine.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 AM

Thank u for the reassurance that the new pfaffs are just as good as the old ones. It's always worrying when a company either is taken over then farmed out to the back of beyond to be made. Or just farmed out because of cutting manufacturing costs. There are a few well known brands of sewing machine that has really suffered because of this.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 AM

I do not know too much about the newer Pfaffs. I have model 7570, bought it new many years ago and I love it. If I bought a new machine tomorrow it would be a Pfaff.