Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff machines? >

Pfaff machines?

Pfaff machines?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by omacookie View Post
I used a Pfaff in the 50's in High School then in college. DH would not buy me a Pfaff so after the divorce I put myself and 4 kids thru college. THEN I bought MY PFAFF #4270 and after about 10 years I sold it to my Best Friend. WRONG! I should have kept it. I then bought a Free Style on a half price sale and monthly payments. I even FMQ with the feed dogs up and am doing very well at it. Have visited Germany 6 times and there are Fpaff dealers on most every corner. WOW! Hugs
Hmmmm. I wonder if hubby could bring me back a Pfaff machine from Germany on his next business trip there?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM

I have both an older 7570 and a newer Expression 4.0, and love them. I especially like the even feed foot.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:31 AM

A lot of people mistakenly think that Pfaffs are still German-made. That "German Engineering" is the same as MADE in Germany, but it's not. Pfaffs are MADE in China and have been for the last 5-6 years.

Viking aka (VSM /VSP) bought Pfaff back in 2000 - and moved manuf. to Sweden and Czechoslovakia. The Pfaff 2029 I bought back in 2007 was made in Czech. It was NOT a good machine, nothing but problems. How I wish I'd kept my mom's vintage Pfaff !

Viking has also moved most Viking machine manuf. to China. Even TOL machines. Bernina machines are also assembled now in Thailand and China ... design is still done in Switzerland but plants are in Asia.

So much for "German" ...and "Swiss-made" ... !!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-31-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 Its a good machine now that I am learning all the bells and whistles with it ...Mine was 11420.00 at my local dealer ...that included taxes and all the other stuff.. LOL
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM

I am sorry to the lovers of Pfaff's but I did not like mine.
I had Janomes - my first machine I can't remember the model - then a 4800 and then a 9700 - then I wanted a machine with a bigger throat - didn't like the embroidery side of the 9700 - so sold that and got a Pfaff QE4. For me it was a bad mistake. Within a few months of keep trying to learn to love it - I gave up and got a Janome 6600. The difference was amazing - I love my 6600 and I also have a Janome Jem 720 for classes - workshops!
I guess it is like buying a car and my advice is go and test drive them before you buy !
Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by craftEcowgirl View Post
So which Pfaff do you use or wish to own? And your experiences?
I have the Pfaff Creative Sensation and the Pfaff Grand Quilter on a 12 foot frame........and absolut ely LOVE both of them.........
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 AM

What Texas Gurl from THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS, said is exactly what my BFF from Texas told me about Pfaff's just a few days ago when I told her I 'may' have to buy a new machine if my Janome 9000 will end up costing too much to repair. She said that, even though Viking owns Pfaff, you can listen to them run and note the different sounds that they make (smooth running compared to a clunking sound).

A lot of the sewing machine companies are merging or buying each other out, yet maintaining the company name (most likely) because we sewers generally become faithful to certain companies/machines.

My BFF has the top of the line Viking from a few years back. She is very analytical, so she studies up and test drives machines before making a purchase. I think it was at the Houston Quilt Festival where she tried out a high-end Brother embroidery machine and really liked it, so she got it. That was several years ago. Just recently she bought a higher end Brother embroidery machine that walks, talks, and may even fold her clothes (just a joke). I'm not into embroidery, but I was blown away by its capabilities. So - I recommend checking them out. That's what I plan to do!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 PM

I bought an older one to quilt on - big mistake!!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM

i love my 2044, I purchased it used Dec. 2011, I have not had a single problem, not one I did not get myself into or out of. AKAperator error. Mine does say made in Czech. I have a Singer 15-91 for SITD and future FMQ. And hope to one day get a machine with a large throat area. Since the 2044 is my very first sewing machine, I really have nothing to compare to, I figure that if it is really user friendly enough that I am comfortable to operate it must be really a pretty special machine. i would look for an older one again, comparing the plastic to todays latest and greatest models, I can feel the newer models seem to be a thinner plastic. Sad but true..
Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
A lot of people mistakenly think that Pfaffs are still German-made. That "German Engineering" is the same as MADE in Germany, but it's not. Pfaffs are MADE in China and have been for the last 5-6 years.

Viking aka (VSM /VSP) bought Pfaff back in 2000 - and moved manuf. to Sweden and Czechoslovakia. The Pfaff 2029 I bought back in 2007 was made in Czech. It was NOT a good machine, nothing but problems. How I wish I'd kept my mom's vintage Pfaff !

Viking has also moved most Viking machine manuf. to China. Even TOL machines. Bernina machines are also assembled now in Thailand and China ... design is still done in Switzerland but plants are in Asia.

So much for "German" ...and "Swiss-made" ... !!
I believe the top of the line Berninas are strill made in Switzerland.