Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff machines? >

Pfaff machines?

Pfaff machines?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM

I have 5 Pfaffs - 2 sergers and 3 sewing machines in 2 houses - and I love 'em all = 2170, 7530 and Creative Sensation. The CS is wonderful for embroidery AND quilting, so it's my favorite. I couldn't get along without IDT. It's why I bought my first Pfaff. CS has a huge throat for quilting and BIG embroidery and quilting, and I can re-size designs right in the machine, and it changes the density - a wonderful feature. Doesn't seem to matter that it's not longer made in Germany. The most important thing to me is that I LOVE my dealer! That's something that every buye of a complicated modern sewing machine should consider,because you should be seeing your dealer at least once a year to have an annual 'checkup.' These babies are expensive, and, just like your car, they need regular maintenance.Mine gives classes to learn how to use these very complicated machines and for software that I buy for my hobby as well as sewing, embroidery, quilting and serger classes to actually MAKE things.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM

I agree with others who recommend buying from a dealer who will support you. Probably the particular price range in all the machines offer close to the same in what you want, but that dealer is the key. There are lemons in all of the brands and when that happens and you need help, it's the dealer who will make things happen.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Pfaff Ambition1. Love it.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM

I have an older one 1473, bought it in the 90's I believe used and it has been a work horse for me. Easy to use, great for any material. Used to make costumes for my shop with it, using furs and silk, velvets...never had a problem. Now I quilt and sew still with it. Did just recently buy me a brother for the knee lift and thread cutter also. You can't go wrong with them, is how I feel.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM

I have 2 Pfaffs, one is a model 60 treadle and the other is a model 1222E electric, both have the vertical bobbin systems, rather than the drop in bobbins that new machines have. The treadle is straight stitch only, the 1222E has the IDT/built in walking foot.
I love how it makes all my blocks come out the right size and quilt binding come out smooth and flat. The treadle is a great machine, nice and quiet. Both were made in Germany, I love my machines.
I've tested out new Pfaffs and I don't like them, they are noisy; doesn't seem to be the same quality of the old machines that were made in Germany.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 07-31-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 PM

I have the Pfaff expression 3.0 and love it! Have had no problems at all with it. It sews beautifully and I use it nearly everyday.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 AM

Thanks everyone!! I have been debating between the Pfaff Creative Performance and Performance 5.0. I am leaning toward the 5.0 as I dont believe I would use the embroidery very often.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
A lot of people mistakenly think that Pfaffs are still German-made. That "German Engineering" is the same as MADE in Germany, but it's not. Pfaffs are MADE in China and have been for the last 5-6 years.

Viking aka (VSM /VSP) bought Pfaff back in 2000 - and moved manuf. to Sweden and Czechoslovakia. The Pfaff 2029 I bought back in 2007 was made in Czech. It was NOT a good machine, nothing but problems. How I wish I'd kept my mom's vintage Pfaff !

Viking has also moved most Viking machine manuf. to China. Even TOL machines. Bernina machines are also assembled now in Thailand and China ... design is still done in Switzerland but plants are in Asia.

So much for "German" ...and "Swiss-made" ... !!
Check Vikings website. It states under the comparisons are for all of the emb/sewing machines that they are still made in Sweeden. I have the latest model and even on the box it says made in Sweeden. They may have some things made there, not sure but my Ruby and my Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweeden. No matter what, its a great machine and I'd buy it again no matter what.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:28 PM

I have a creative 1469 that is thirty years old and works wonderful. Also, I have a creative 2170 and the logic board went out a few weeks ago. It will be about a month before I get it back, so I am so glad I have my old reliable 1469
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM

The TOL for both Pfaff and Viking are supposed to be made in Sweden. My 2140 and 2144 were made in Sweden with German Engineering. The 2170 was made in the Czech Republic. The other machines were made in China.

Your 1469 was German Made, as was my 1475.