Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PFAFF Quilt Expression 2044 is AWFUL >

PFAFF Quilt Expression 2044 is AWFUL

PFAFF Quilt Expression 2044 is AWFUL

Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 AM

It may be just a problem with lighting. The computerized machines must never be in direct sunlight, as in front of a window. The machine I use now is not a Pfaff, but I know too much light messes things up on the screen, and I know of other computerized machines which are likewise affected. Too much light also negatively affects the low bobbin sensor.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by joycet View Post
If I"m not mistaken and please correct me if I am but isn't Pfaff and Singer together nowdays?
Yes, Singer, Pfaff and Husqvarna Viking brands are all owned by the same company now.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM

So sorry you mom has so much problem with this machine.....Thanks for sharing....I always belived they are great machines.....
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ascendence View Post
Hey everybody,

i write here on behalf of my mom, she doesn't speak english so i write this for her.
Basically what happened is she bought a new Quilt Expression 2044 a few years back and ever since
this thing is just acting up and making problems , i think we had sent this thing back to get it repaired 4 times now. So there's basically not one month passing without her complaining about this thing..

Today i came home and she told me her sewing machine broke yet again, i got it standing next to me and the display is just completely acting weird, its showing every possible symbol all at once, cant change any settings anymore because of that, neither can you read anything off that screen.

So yet again its probably the electronics/software and I'm fed up with this thing, how can this "premium" high end product be so faulty and inferior!

You guys don't know any solutions by chance do you?

The most aggravating thing is that PFAFF doesn't even have a direct customer support where i can call these guys or write them an email, its just "go to your local sewing shop and ask for help"
I have a quilt expression 2048.
customer support from Pfaff is nonexistent .
I think it's your mothers machines twin, I'm not kidding, my motherboard went , it was only 2.5 years old this machine is after costing me $900 on fixes.
just finished sewing a double size quilt and guess what the tension is gone screwy , so I put her in her case patted her gently and bought a Janome.
good luck.
dont mean to be a downer but very disappointed in Pfaff, I sewed with Kenmore for over 25 years, not as much as a hint of trouble.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I had lots of trouble with the last Pfaff I bought and ended up getting rid of it. (Changed to Baby Lock and love it.) Pfaff changed ownership a few years ago and unfortunately they are no longer the same brand that was known world-wide for sewing machine craftsmanship. I would not buy another one, nor would I get a Singer or a Viking. (They are all part of the same company.)

Can your mom trade it in for something different? There is nothing more frustrating than a misbehaving machine.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 AM

I have a Pfaff 7550 that I dearly love, purchased new in 1994. I also just recently bought a Pfaff 1471 used, paid $50, because the people thought it was broken. The previous owners were asking $100 for this "broken" machine. I offered them the friendly, helpful advice that if they watched some You Tube videos and oiled the machine they could probably get $300 or more for it. I then said I had $50 to spend and if they wanted that money, I would buy it. I couldn't pay more because I was risking the possibility that I was wrong. So I bought the machine -- for $50. I oiled it. It purrs like a kitten.

Both of my machines are about 20 years old or older.

My instinct right now is that few machines on the market these days are even close to as good as the old ones. The new ones may have computers in them, but they suck and die in a short time. (I know even with my 7550 that the mother board can go out and I'll be sad, which is why I bought a backup.).

Pfaff is especially bad for quality control right now. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Yes, you can get a good one, but judging by how many relatively new Pfaffs I am finding on the used market, I suspect they're putting out a whole bunch of lemons.

There is a repair person named Kenn, who fixes machines on the side, I think. I've watched some of his You Tube videos and have been impressed with what he can do. He can repair 7550 motherboards and such. He may have an inkling of what is wrong with this machine. His web site is here: http://www.kennsplace.com/.

So my advice:

1. Perhaps talked to Kenn at Kennsplace. See if he might give you a lead.

2. Dump this thing and buy something else. Sell this one for parts. Buy a used machine if possible.

The old adage that they don't make em like they used to really, really holds true with sewing machines...

I will never buy a new machine again. Ever.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM

I have a Pfaff expression 2.0 and I just love it. I am sorry to hear that your Mother's machine has so many problems. I know that my dealer would help me if mine was like that, but I assume you have already gone that route.

Too much frustration is enough, I would think. I would start trying out new machines.

Dina