Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 - Tension Problems >

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 - Tension Problems

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 - Tension Problems

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM

I'm so frustrated. I'm the (currently not so) lucky owner of a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0. A little less than three years ago I allowed myself this luxury and (considering my budget) coughed up a huge amount of money. The machine with all its little well thought-out extras is simply amazing, it makes sewing life so much easier. So much easier, if it works correctly, that is.

My machine constantly has tension problems. Before having it serviced, the top tension was too low and I constantly ended up with having loops on the bottom side. Now, after having sewn less than three weeks after getting my machine back, the top tension seems too tight and I have loops on the top. I tried everything, different thread, new needle, etc. It improves slightly, when I fiddle around with the top tension, but it seems to me, that I shouldn't have to set this manually every time I start sewing.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, piece of advice? Could it be, that I stupidly do something wrong? Does anyone have experiences with the same machine? Any help or friendly pat on the shoulder is more than welcome. I already feel better for just having been able to write everything down here.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Sorry that I can't help, but I know this model had many such problems when it came out, some of which were remedied by some added or modified piece near the take-up lever. I was scared away by the bad reviews, but I've read that the problems were solved. Maybe you can go to your dealer, they should be aware of the fixes. Good luck, machine hassles are awful.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Maybe you could find a knowledgeable dealer and take it in and have them look at it and see if it's the machine or something you're doing or not doing? It could be anything from a cracked or out of round bobbin case to a bad tension assembly to something as simple as missing a thread guide when you're threading the machine. Dropping it off at a repairman probably won't help much unless you know for sure the problem is the machine.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 AM
np3
Power Poster

I have the Expression 2.0 and I have never changed the tension on it. I use it a lot and have sewn on all different weights and thicknesses. I'd check with the dealer and or the person who serviced it.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 AM

I have this same machine and have had it for about 3 months and have had no problems at all. I would take it back and ask them to find out what is happening--you shouldn't have to mess with the tension unless you are doing it to do a special technique.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM

I have this machine! I don't notice the tension issue until I have to remove a seam and it comes out too easily. I tend to adjust the tension to 5.4 and it works fine. The fix that someone mentioned is at least $200! Way too much after what we paid for the machine. My dealer keeps telling me that the tension is different for each type of fabric or thread or size needle, etc. In my opinion the machine is just too picky and delicate.

Did not know there were bad reviews, wish I had seen them. However, when the tension is balanced it is such a wonderful machine! It has spoiled me for using any other machine! :)

Hope you can get help from your dealer.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cmagee84
I have this machine! I don't notice the tension issue until I have to remove a seam and it comes out too easily. I tend to adjust the tension to 5.4 and it works fine. The fix that someone mentioned is at least $200! Way too much after what we paid for the machine. My dealer keeps telling me that the tension is different for each type of fabric or thread or size needle, etc. In my opinion the machine is just too picky and delicate.

Did not know there were bad reviews, wish I had seen them. However, when the tension is balanced it is such a wonderful machine! It has spoiled me for using any other machine! :)

Most machines have issues with different threads and needles. Just do a search on this forum! But this one is excessive unless she just has bad thread. And the serviceman should be able to tell her that.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM

biggest mistake i made was buying on e-bay,no warrenty,no-0ne to turn to.i'm sure that anyone else would be happy w/it,but i ;m having problems understanding what i read now.wish therte were someone to actually talk to.the nearest dealer is 2 hours away,so lessons are out of the question[$ &don't drive any more. it's a great machine i'm sure,just not for me!
dar
Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 AM

I'm sorry ! Hate tension issues! They scare me!!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Thank you everyone. Just reading your comments already makes me feel better. I know that I shouldn't have to meddle with the tension and it used to sew just fine without me having to.

Originally Posted by cmagee84

That's exactly my experience. Once the tension is off, you can practically remove a seem by pulling a thread. I brought it back to the dealer and they sent the machine to Pfaff. They serviced it and adjusted the tension. I was lucky insofar that they also mounted the modified take-up lever and I didn't have to pay anything. I'm still amazed at that.

Had I known about the bad reviews, I wouldn't have bought it, but now that I have it, I'm in a love-hate relationship with it because, as cmagee84 wrote, if the tension is balanced, it's a divine machine. I'm also spoilt for any other model.