Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 - Tension Problems >

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 - Tension Problems

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 - Tension Problems

Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM

If you really want to have your heart broken after the purchase of this machine go to Carolina Patchworks.com and read the mile long blog about this sorry piece of junk. After reading on this board that there 6 factory fixes on this machine I called my dealer who said they had never had any complaints on this machine and was completely unaware of any factory authorized fixes. They did tell me to put the machine through all of it's paces and that they would work with me on the problems.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM

I HAD this machine. Bought it last September and every time I tried to FMQ it behaved miserably; broke thread, tension bad, skipped stitches. I took it for service three times and the fourth time I took it back and told them to keep it. After agonizing about the next step I upgraded to the Creative 4.0 and had the same problems. Am in negotiations with the store about what to do about reimbursement/credit. I think both those machines are horrible, and I have two other Pfaffs that are WONDERFUL! Went and bought a Janome 6600 and really like it. The price is right, it FMQs nicely, no tension problems, has the large harp (throat?).
Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lucio
If you really want to have your heart broken after the purchase of this machine go to Carolina Patchworks.com and read the mile long blog about this sorry piece of junk. After reading on this board that there 6 factory fixes on this machine I called my dealer who said they had never had any complaints on this machine and was completely unaware of any factory authorized fixes. They did tell me to put the machine through all of it's paces and that they would work with me on the problems.
Actually, reading the Carolina Patchwork blog about the QE4 didn't get my heart broken but my hopes up that I might be able to fix my problems. Many thanks for leading me to this site! There are some great tips and tricks to be found. I will read through the whole page and copy/paste anything that might come in handy and try it out.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
Originally Posted by Lucio
Actually, reading the Carolina Patchwork blog about the QE4 didn't get my heart broken but my hopes up that I might be able to fix my problems. Many thanks for leading me to this site! There are some great tips and tricks to be found. I will read through the whole page and copy/paste anything that might come in handy and try it out.
I am so glad to hear you say that! All machines can have problems, much the same as you might experience with a car. Yes, you can get a lemon in a car or a sewing machine, but it is rare when you consider the number of machines sold.

Pfaff makes a great machine. Yes, it is plastic and isn't (presumably) as durable as the older machines. But you will find the same thing with Singer, Viking, all of them. I have 7 machines. Some of them are very picky about the thread they use. My Bernina is the worst one for selecting thread. Lint is terrible sometimes. But often I find that changing the needle solves the lint problem quicker than buying new thread. Cheaper too.

I don't service my machines as often as recommended and have very few problems with them. But when I start having a problem, in it goes for service.

We all have to find the balance that makes our machines work for us. Usually that involves working with the dealer or a very knowledgeable service repairman. I wish you good luck in finding your balance. You have purchased a great machine and I am sure Pfaff will stand by it.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:18 AM

I am trying to help my sister in Germany who has a Expression 4.0. Could you tell me how to adjust the tension. She says she looked in her manual but can't find anything.

Thanks,
Johanna
Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 AM

My machine is currently being serviced - again!

But I know that the top tension is adjusted via the menu. But without having my machine in front of me, I can't exactly tell you how. Try the button with the tools on it - that might be the one. Then it's one of the top items listed in the menu.

There should be no need to adjust the bobbin tension. But if you wish to fiddle around with it - I would only do that as a last resort - you have to take the black bobbin-holder out and adjust the screw on its side. Be careful only to turn a quarter of a turn at a time and best mark the initial position as well.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks for responding. By now we have figured out that my sister in Germany had forgotten to do a certain step you have to do when putting the bobbin thread in. She was to proud to ask her dealer and she is pretty new to the machine. :-) I joined a Yahoo group for her and figured out by reading their posts what she had forgotten to do.

There should be no need to adjust the bobbin tension. But if you wish to fiddle around with it - I would only do that as a last resort - you have to take the black bobbin-holder out and adjust the screw on its side. Be careful only to turn a quarter of a turn at a time and best mark the initial position as well.[/quote]
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 AM

Please, wish me luck everyone. After getting my machine back last week, I did a test-run yesterday. And ...drum roll.... the tension is still off. I couldn't believe it. I had to do without my machine for nearly two months and when I finally get it back it still isn't working? :evil: :cry: I had even offered to pay up to 250$ myself for exchanging the whole tension set-up, which they didn't do. So I phoned the shop once again, telling them how frustrated etc. I am. And the very nice lady working there has now tried to convince Pfaff and if this won't work the shop-owner to supply me with a new machine. So far, she got a tentative "yes" and has to send in all the paper-work. So please everyone keep your fingers crossed that I can exchange my lemon for a nice-working machine.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 AM

How frustrating. My sister has been complaining since we thought we had her tension fixed. I have to check with her this afternoon how it is going.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:18 PM

I have that same machine, now about 5 years old, and started having problems with the thread knotting up on the bottom at the beginning of the seam and then it sounds like it's chewing something up inside the bobbin case. I've had it looked at by two different Pfaff technician/service guys and have been told that there is no other adjustment to be made. I'm back using my 40 year-old Bernina, that never gives me any problems, but it doesn't seem like a machine that new that was quite expensive should be having any issue. I would never, ever buy another Pfaff machine.