Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff sewing machine >

Pfaff sewing machine

Pfaff sewing machine

Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi, I have the Expressions 4.0...sewed on it for about a year...haven't had a problem with it. I do clean out the bobbin area after every changing of the bobbin. If you use the thread cutter alot you need to tweezer out the pieces of thread that get stuck on the "velcro" that helps to pull the thread to be cut. I purchased the 4.0 specifically for the larger bed area and the IDT for piecing. I also have the Viking SE and the Diamond which has the cutting feature...they all need to be "tweezered' if you use the cutter all the time. You just need to hold the "cutter" in place while you are doing it. If you don't know how to clean that area ..have the store/dealer show you how to do it. Anne
Old 07-04-2011, 09:26 AM

I haven't had a problem with the cutter as I had heard there could be problems with it and so was worried to use it -- silly really. My dealer did say always cut off
"whilst the needle is in the fabric" not at the edge of the seam. I don't know if that info might help.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:43 AM

I am the one who posted the web site Carolina patchworks and it's very extensive tale of woe regarding the expressions 4.0. I hope some of her info can help. When I bemoaned the fact that mine was made in China, my dealer told me that they have been made there for several years. They were shipped to Sweden to be "boxed" there and then sent to dealers. I absolutely loved my Pfaff 7550 that was a real work horse but gave it to a friend who was going through some very hard times. I wanted the larger quilting space. There are much better machines than Pfaff these days which is very sad for this once great company.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hattie Shorts
but it's the aggravation and frustration when a machine does not behave as expected.
No kidding! When my Pfaff almost brought me to drink, my DH (whose office is below my sewing room) came up and literally begged me to get a different machine. He said he couldn't stand the noise any longer. lol (which was part machine jumping and part me slamming things and cursing!)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Love my Exp 3.0. Not many complaints about them. Would love the low-bobbin warning and the presser foot knee lift, but after reading about probs, I'm happy with my 3.0
Ditto.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 AM

i have a pfaff creative vision , i got my new pfaff cv 3 yrs ago and the company is now sending me my 4th new machine because i keep having problems with them, for the price i paid for that machine it should be asking me if i want a cup of coffee , not me taking it back to the dealer all the time. would not buy one again.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by scrappy happy
i have a pfaff creative vision , i got my new pfaff cv 3 yrs ago and the company is now sending me my 4th new machine because i keep having problems with them, for the price i paid for that machine it should be asking me if i want a cup of coffee , not me taking it back to the dealer all the time. would not buy one again.
I am so sorry you are having so many problems. I got a great deal on my CV off ebay and it is my go to machine - I love it and have had no problems.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM

I'd recommend you "test drive" different brands. If you don't live near quilt shops, go to a quilt show that has lots of vendors. And like some of the other replies, maybe you should consider an older model.

As for me, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Brother! I paid $800 for it about 8 years ago, and wouldn't trade it for anything, altho I recently bought a Bernina with a stitch regulator, just for that feature. Babylock and Brother are basically the same machines, VERY user friendly.

Just my 2 cents! Sewing machines are important--find one that fits "you".
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I have the Pfaff 2134 and love it.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM

I too bought the same machine 2 years ago. It was back to the factory 4 times before it finally worked correctly. I lived 2000 miles from where I bought the machine and Pfaff dealers do not honor other dealers warranty. However the factory paid all the shipping after the 1st time. The thread take-up and the guide in that area had to be modified. It still didn't work correctly. Finally they replaced the bobbin case and most of the time it works. #DO NOT sew fast with this machine when free motion quilting. I still have trouble with thread breakage in some of my free motion quilting. It doesn't like certain threads. It is very picky about what threads it likes. I'm going to get some of the metallic microtex needles that the blog has been discussing to see if that helps. I love everything about the machine except that is is tempermental. I have a 14 year old Pfaff that I just love and that is why I bought another one. PM if you need more information.