Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff sewing machine >

Pfaff sewing machine

Pfaff sewing machine

Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 PM

SVP is the Parent Company for Singer, Viking, Pfaff.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the owner...now that brings up another question...is Singer a good machine now?

I didn't mention that I have a 30 year old Elna Supra with cams...a truly wonderful machine...I still use it. Way too heavy to carry however.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM

I have the 2056 and the QE4. Had issues with the machine unthreading when sewing, plus didn't like the 1/4" foot-pulled to one side. We have a great dealer in Regina - he replaced a part ( company fix for these machines) in the take up, and there is a new wider 1/4" foot that is wider on the left side, and not the right. Now the machine works great, I just finished free motion quilting a large baby quilt on it. I use a needle with a larger eye when free motion quilting. No problem going fast.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I have a Pfaff Creative 4.0 and just love it. I would never buy a different machine. One thing I have found is that you have to really learn how to use the machine. Most problems I have had are opperator error. Don't fight the machine. Learn how to do things the way the machine wants. I did extensive research on this machine before I bought it and most of the complaints were because they were fighting the machine. I had to retrain myself to do some thing a new way, but now it is habit and my machine is the best I have ever owned. I hope that this makes sense to you.
Hi, Mhansen6, just a question: I bought the Pfaff 4.0 but due to press of work, have not used it yet. I'm curious - when you piece, do you use the single hole needle plate or the regular foot? Have heard the fabric corners get stuck down in the hole of the needle plate. Or do you use a piece of leader material ahead of the piecing? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 AM

I have (2) 1475 Creative, the best machines I ever owned.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 AM

I've had them all including a pfaff and finally gave in and went to a Bernina. Fought it tooth and nail because they are expensive but they do sew beautifully and the quality is still there. I was up to 6 machines so I traded in 3 and that helped.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 AM

Hi, Mhansen6, just a question: I bought the Pfaff 4.0 but due to press of work, have not used it yet. I'm curious - when you piece, do you use the single hole needle plate or the regular foot? Have heard the fabric corners get stuck down in the hole of the needle plate. Or do you use a piece of leader material ahead of the piecing? Thanks![/quote]

I have a habit of using a leader piece. I have tried the other way and don't seem to have a problem, but old habits are hard to break. I don't have an extra feed plate just the one that came with it. One of the best features of my machine that when you piece with the needle down button on when you stop the presser foot raises just a eighth of an inch so you can slide your next piece in. It is an awesome feathre.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 PM

I have 2 older Pfaffs, 1222 and 2042. They were great! Have heard of lots of problems since they were sold to SVP, so gave the 2042 to my daughter-in-law as a "beginner" machine. Bought a Janome 4900 for me and a Janome Jem platinum for my grandaughter. They are quality, solid machines. Also love my Juki for straight stitching, piecing, free motion. Unfortunately, the Pfaff is now plastic and poorly made. Grandpa-in-law was a Pfaff dealer and repairman, he must be spinning in his grave!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
I have 2 older Pfaffs, 1222 and 2042. They were great! Have heard of lots of problems since they were sold to SVP, so gave the 2042 to my daughter-in-law as a "beginner" machine. Bought a Janome 4900 for me and a Janome Jem platinum for my grandaughter. They are quality, solid machines. Also love my Juki for straight stitching, piecing, free motion. Unfortunately, the Pfaff is now plastic and poorly made. Grandpa-in-law was a Pfaff dealer and repairman, he must be spinning in his grave!
i bet he is to
Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Caro
When was Pfaff sold and to whom? I have a ten year old quilting mode, 2042. It has been a very good machine...I would love a newer machine with more bells and whistles.
Pfaff was sold at least 10 years ago to Viking /SVP ... at first Pfaffs were still made in Sweden, but then they moved most manuf. to Asia. That's when the quality went down. I bought a Pfaff 2027 in 2006 (made in Czechoslovakia, of all places) and it was OK, but not near the quality of all the German-made machines. I had an old basic Pfaff that I traded in, wish I hadn't ...!
I know at least 10 people who bought the 3.0 & 4.0 models about 1-2 years ago, and all had multiple problems ... only 1 or 2 still have them. One had hers replaced. Most went to a different model or brand. Hopefully the current ones have all the glitches worked out ! :roll: