Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Sewing Machines >

Pfaff Sewing Machines

Pfaff Sewing Machines

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM

I have a 2044 and love it, user friendly, and forgiving as I am a new sewer and have made a fair share of blunders.
There is a Pfaff 2046 on Ebay for under $679 as i post this. I Agree that the older Pfaff's seem a littler heavier built.
I found my Pfaff at a local sewing machine/vacuum store, they as well, were discontinuing their Pfaff line, so i did get a really good price!!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM

I have 3 Pfaffs, they are not the ones you are thinking of, but I do most of my sewing on them. I love the IDT, it really makes a difference. If you want a good one just for piecing go on ebay and look at the 1222. That is my first one and have been using for over 40 years. it has a variety of stitches you can put in and is great for heavy duty sewing. I have used mine to recover seats on both boat and trailer. Good luck on your search.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Default pfaff 4.0

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
My first computerized machine in the early 80's was a Pfaff and it was the best machine I have ever had. I sewed everything imaginable with it and literally wore it out. I then bought a Bernina which I truly love. About a year ago I bought a Pfaff 3.0 specifically because of the IDT and it really is a great machine although I don't think the quality is quite the same as the first one I had. (My understanding is they are no longer made in Germany) The IDT is the best in my opinion and it sews a beautiful stitch and it also has many beautiful fancy stitches. I'm not sure about a 3.2 but I think the main difference between the 3.0 and 4.0 is that the 4.0 has a spring foot that raises slightly when stopping which is mainly good for applique. I personally did not like that feature. I would want to know that a dealer was available for the Pfaff; shortly after I bought mine my dealer stopped selling Pfaff and I don't know of any other dealers.
I bought my 4.0 in Germany in 2009. it is still made in Europe though it was sweden, not germany. I love it. it is having hiccups right now. the auto presser foot raise and lower isn't always doing its thing. i just turn it off and then turn it back on. The dealer here though it was because i hadn't changed from a 220 plug and was just using an adapter plug. Love the machine, it is smart enough to figure out whether it is sewing 220 or 110 current. Bought the 110 plug, it still hiccups but works otherwise. IDT foot works as well or better than my walking foot on my Featherweight. If i found a good used one here, i'd replace my daughter's 70's Viking which needs work. My original Bernina 830 still works like a charm in the household of one of my other daughters.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 AM

I have had a Pfaff for over 10 years and I love, love, love the IDT. It sure saves a lot of tears and tearing of your hair. Also have a Babylock with an even feed foot that is quite small, but don't like it as well as the Pfaff setup.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I have 2 Pfaff's and I like them. There is however one reason that I will never buy another Pfaff. And that reason is, repairing them and the availability of replacement parts. I had to wait over 5 months for the parts that I required. A sewing machine dealer that I know had the same problem. Pfaff sewing machines would sit in his shop for over 6 months, waiting for the parts from Pfaff so that he could repair the sewing machine. Finally, he became so fed up he stopped being a Pfaff dealer. He now sells Babylock's because he can get the parts when something needs to be replaced. Pfaff's are good sewing machines, but if it's all but impossible to get the parts to repair them,they become interesting door stops while waiting for parts. Just thought you should know before you purchase a Pfaff.
Where do you live? I've never had that problem,and I've been a Pfaff owner since the mid 80s. I have 3 Pfaffs, including the TOL Creative Sensation, which I LOVE. Why? IDT for one thing. You don't have to use a walking foot, and it works with almost all of the feet, including 1/4" foot. You can use ALL of the fancy stitches with it. It does gorgeous embroidery and I can quilt a King Size quilt because it has a huge throat area. I also use the embrodery feature for quilting. I can resize embroidery and quilting designs right in the machine, and it figures out the change in # of stitches so the density is perfect. Can you tell that I love this machine?!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 AM

I have 2 Pfaffs, one is a treadle (no IDT), the other is a1222E and it has the IDT. I really miss the 1222E, its in the hospital, so I piece with my Viking or Bernina. I have tested out the Janome with the accufeed , didn't like it as well as the Pfaff version; it just seems huge and clunky. I wish Pfaff would bring back the vertical bobbin system, I like it better for free motion quilting.
Sharon
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM

Love my Pfaff with the walking foot.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM

I also love my Pfaff. I have only been quilting for 3 years, but my sister guided me to this machine, and it is perfect for me. Mine is an expression 2.0.

Dina
Old 07-05-2013, 02:35 PM

I have 2 Pfaffs, a 1222 and a 6120 Tipmatic. Both have IDT and both are mechanical. I got both second hand, if the day comes that they can no longer be fixed I'll buy another Pfaff. I won't be without one after sewing on one.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 PM

I have a Pfaff 2144 with IDT. I keep it enggaged at all times and it is problem free. I love it for piecing and quilting! However, I bought the machine for that feature and for the thread cutter thinking that would give my finished piecing less "clean-up" of threads etc. I has never worked! Well I should say the cutter works but then you have to open up the bobbin case and manually pulll the thread up. What a bother! I think my machine is cursed because I've had it into the repair shop so many times. It is in love with the repair guy- - - having a torrid affair! It needs to go in again but I am always using it so I hate to be without it. Doesn't Bernina have something similar to IDT?