Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff sewing machines >

Pfaff sewing machines

Pfaff sewing machines

Old 09-29-2013, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

There don't seem to be many older used Pfaff sewing machines available.

Is it because not that many were around to start with?
Or is it because people keep them for a long time?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
Does the Pfaff have a version of the BSR to regulate stitches when FMQ?
No - and as far as I'm aware, they have no plans to introduce it. I have however, tried the BSR on the Bernina and actually preferred to FMQ without it. I fund it very sluggish and 'draggy'. Apparently a lot of people who have it, don't use it.

I didn't fall in love with my Pfaff (Quilt Expression 4) when I first got it. Couldn't get it to FMQ - I could FMQ in metallic thread on my Janome. I returned it to the dealer a few weeks after purchase and after two months I got it back. Luckily, I asked the dealer to try it before I took it home - didn't work and Pfaff replaced it with a new machine.

I've had it for a few months now and have grown to like it. I absolutely love the auto-pivot (where the presser foot lifts itself a little when you stop) as I do a lot of appliqué and the IDT is better than a walking foot - more 'agility' if you know what I mean? The QE4 has been replaced with the QE 4.2 now and the new portable - the Passport - has had very good reviews here.

Happy sewing.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 AM

Pfaff does have a version of BSR if you buy the fabric mover. It does work. Viking has a demo of it.
Pfaff ignored it, and there is a far cheaper generic version available. I have that one, but bought the 1500s.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 AM

I'm certainly the odd man out here. I have a Pfaff 2027, and regret buying it. I think I got a machine built on a Monday by the guy who partied all weekend. Unfortunately, when I got it I was working lots of hours, and didn't have much time to play with the machine. By the time I realized how many problems I was having it was really too late to try to return it.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM

I keep mine, well most of them, a sister talked me out of my 1229, which was a real work horse, still wish I had it.
5 of my Pfaff's have the IDT, the 4, 7570s (my dream machine) and my 2056 . My hobbymatic 947 (?) does not have the IDT, but fills bobbins great. and my serger is a coverlock Pfaff. I learned how to sew on a Pfaff Daddy got for mother back in the mid 50's, have been a Paffie ever sence.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
There don't seem to be many older used Pfaff sewing machines available.

Is it because not that many were around to start with?
Or is it because people keep them for a long time?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
No - and as far as I'm aware, they have no plans to introduce it. I have however, tried the BSR on the Bernina and actually preferred to FMQ without it. I fund it very sluggish and 'draggy'. Apparently a lot of people who have it, don't use it.

I didn't fall in love with my Pfaff (Quilt Expression 4) when I first got it. Couldn't get it to FMQ - I could FMQ in metallic thread on my Janome. I returned it to the dealer a few weeks after purchase and after two months I got it back. Luckily, I asked the dealer to try it before I took it home - didn't work and Pfaff replaced it with a new machine.

I've had it for a few months now and have grown to like it. I absolutely love the auto-pivot (where the presser foot lifts itself a little when you stop) as I do a lot of appliqué and the IDT is better than a walking foot - more 'agility' if you know what I mean? The QE4 has been replaced with the QE 4.2 now and the new portable - the Passport - has had very good reviews here.

I found a Pfaff 2046 locally for sale by owner (her grandmother's) I really need some help in the FMQ department, I would really like to know how the fabric mover or generic works and if it liked by quilter? I am sold on the IDS on the PFaff, I have an old singer and my FMQ is a disaster even after months of practice. I have wasted so much fabric!!!

Happy sewing.
I found a Pfaff 2046 locally for sale by owner (her grandmother's) I really need some help in the FMQ department, I would really like to know how the fabric mover or generic works and if it liked by quilter? I am sold on the IDS on the PFaff, I have an old singer and my FMQ is a disaster even after months of practice. I have wasted so much fabric!!!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 AM

I have been looking for a Pfaff with the IDT, and presser foot pressure adjustment and the 20XX series does not have it, nor do the older Select models. I want a used one. How is it that you can piece accurately without being able to lighten the pressure??

I just bought a 1540 on ebay and it just never occurred to me that Pfaff would make a machine without that adjustment so I didn't even check the online manual. Four reviews said that it has this adjustment, but all were wrong. So now I feel I have wasted my $$$. How does the machine piece? I have several other machines including a new Bernina with the built in dual feed, but that does not work well....gets hung up on any little thickness.

QUOTE=Scissor Queen;705802]I bought a Pfaff 2030 tiptronic ten years ago. I've had it cleaned once. It's been a serious work horse and the IDT does help your piecing be more accurate. It really, really helps with things like putting on borders and binding.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 AM

I have a Pfaff 7510 from the 90's. I find it great for piecing. You may want to get a straight-stitch plate for you Pfaff.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Love, love, love my Pfaff. I have the 7570, I don't use the embroidery unit very much, but love the machine for quilting. In fact, I bought a second 7570 and a third Pfaff, a 7550 (like the 7570 only without the embroidery unit. they are all workhorses and I love, love, love them. I am not a dealer, but have sold about six Pfaffs to friends (by talking about mine, they went and bought their own---newer models, but Pfaffs. I got my first Pfaff about 15 years ago and found the other two on ebay. No regrets.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:22 AM

I have two Pfaffs - started with the Pfaff Ambition 1.0. The Ambition line are great beginner/intermediate machines giving you lots of bang for your buck. It is now my class and travel machine - I refused to trade it in when I upgraded to the Pfaff Performance 5.0. Oh my - am I in love with the P5.0! I had planned on upgrading to the Quilt Expression 4.2, but the Performance 5.0 was on sale (only $250 more than the QE4.2) plus I got the 48 months interest free financing - I think now they're offering 60 months.

Funny story - I actually started out with a Brother combo sewing/embroidery machine. After buying the machine my first class was a sew-as-you-go quilting class. I was soon in tears because I could not get the Brother to stitch evenly through the multi layers - even with a walking foot (which with that attachment I wasn't able to get an accurate 1/4" seam allowance.) The instructor was so sweet - she talked the shop owner into lending me the Pfaff Ambition and oh, what a difference! Just a touch of a lever to engage the IDT (sorta like a built in walking foot with dual feed). PLUS I could still use the 1/4" Presser Foot with Guide at the same time. I soon caught up to everyone else in class and was having so much fun. The Pfaff out-performed the Brother in so many (every) ways. I traded/exchanged it for the Pfaff Ambition that very day! I will never sew/quilt with anything other than Pfaff.

I encourage you to go to a dealer and try out their various machines. You'll see what we all mean about how easy the Pfaff IDT works and how enjoyable it is to use!

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 12-06-2014 at 03:27 AM.