Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pfaff thread cutter????

Pfaff thread cutter????

I have been reading about the new Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2. Has anyone seen or tried it? The features I really want are the dual feed, thread cutter, and automatic pivot feature. Any thoughts, good or bad, about the latest Pfaffs. I had one several years ago and the thread cutter never worked right, and the repair guy said he could not fix it, so I traded it in, but I miss the dual feed.

I have a Pfaff Creative Vision and Passport. The Passport is the little portable one. It doesn't have the automatic thread cutter, but my CV does and I've never had a problem with it. Before I got my CV, I had the QE4.0 and never had a problem with the cutter either. I use the Creative Sensations regularly at classes and I've never had a problem with the thread cutter on them either.

It sounds like that's a feature you should definitely try out multiple times before you buy though so you won't be worried.

I also love the dual feeds on my Pfaff, miss the cutter from my old machine, I have been thinking of getting another with a cutter too.....they sure are nice to have on the machine.....
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Blog Entries
    I have the Pfaff 4.0 (purchased last year) and the only complaint I have about the thread cutter is that it seems "slow". I hit the thread cutter button, the needle goes up and down a couple of times and then cuts. Drives me crazy, especially after I have been using my Brother or my Pfaff 1500, they are both so quick to cut.

sandy l, I know what you mean about "slow." I don't have a thread cutter, buy the "knotting" feature that I use to stabelize my beginning and ending stitches is a slow poke. I've had to learn to just relax and let the machine do it's thing. It's a good time for a stress-relieving deep breath.
    One step at a time, always forward.

If the new machines all have drop in bobbins, the cutters should be fine. The 2100 series had vertical bobbins and the thread cutters worked, but would cut threads too short, thread got caught in cutter, etc. Most of us with the 2100 series just turned the cutter off.

The Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 is my dream machine! I'm sure if you're buying new from a local Pfaff dealer the machine (including the auto snips) will work great - they will see to it or replace the machine. ANYTIME I have ANYTHING of concern regarding my Pfaff (and it's usually not the machine but rather the user - me - at fault), my dealer is quick to help and patient to teach me what to do to keep it from happening again.

Mine did not come with the automatic thread cutter - which was the only thing in the "con" column when I was comparing different machines. The IDT **MORE** than made up for that feature!
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I hate the Pfaff thread cutter. It cuts the thread too short, so when I start sewing again, the needle comes unthreaded.

I love my 4.0 but the needle threader has never worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Txsuthrn View Post
    I love my 4.0 but the needle threader has never worked.
    There is a tiny little screw on the back of the hook bar on the threader you can loosen and adjust the position of the hook through the eye of the needle - it may just need to be wiggled up/down or side to side.. if you hold it in place while you re-tighten the screw it will be perfectly aligned and work more reliably. It's a very simple fix once you know how

That said, to the OP - a repair person who says they "can't" fix a part of a machine is one I would stay far away from. Was it an authorized Pfaff repair center? The thread cutters in most recent model machines have adjustments that can be made as well, or parts can be replaced if they have been damaged... the only time I'd accept "I can't fix this" is if you're talking about a machine that just does not have any parts available anymore - that happened with my 7570 when the computer board went out, and my pfaff dealer says they can't get any parts for those any more - if you are lucky they happen to have one on a spare machine in the back, but their supply of parts is dwindling.
    Last edited by sarahspins; 05-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have the 4.0 and the thread cutter would not retract. Repairman said get used to it. I quit using it and it was one of the features that sold me on the machine.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I have the 4.0 and the thread cutter would not retract. Repairman said get used to it. I quit using it and it was one of the features that sold me on the machine.
    Same here. My QE 4.0 is 2 months old. I took it to the repairman today because I had a thread jammed message and the machine would not work. The repairman said it was the thread cutter that would not retract that created the message. I was using YLI monofilament thread and he recommended that I not use the thread cutter with YLI thread.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

My QE 4.0 is 11 months old and I have been having problems with my thread cutter also. I periodically get the "thread jam" message. I just push the cutter button a couple of times and it seems to clear up whatever the problem is. I'm taking my machine in soon for a checkup. Other than that I love it!
    Kelly