Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by RDM
How sad-I can't believe Pfaff would go to big box stores-their branding was on quality, German engineering, and customer support through local dealers. IF they change they'd never repair their image. My Pfaff 7550 has been a great machine, but now I'd consider a Janome Horizon. Could Pfaff be moving to another dealer in your area or were sales low?
No, our dealer is fabulous. They have a wonderful sales department and their reputation for service and education is outstanding. We would be hard pressed to find another dealer of such quality.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Originally Posted by Candace
... I was very suprised to see that the company that now owns both Viking and Pfaff (SVP Worldwide) basically dropped my dealership without warning and my dealership won't be selling these machines anymore!
Note the SVP that Candace used...the S stands for Singer, which bought out the other two companies. I had noticed that Singer stopped advertising their top quality lines some time ago, and recently learned that they did that when they bought out these companies since Viking and Pfaff both have good top end products. Our local dealer told us the story at a recent guild meeting. Their store doesn't yet know how this merger will effect them.

The rep also confirmed that there are no longer any machines being made in europe...they're all made in the Far East...
Actually, Bernina is still made in Europe. It's one of the only ones now. So, not all are being made in China.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM

My thought is this... would someone really buy a TOL Viking or Pfaff and spend 4 or 5 grand for a machine at Joanne's or another big box store? I know I wouldn't. Some people would never spend that much on a sewing machine, period. LOL. But, for us crazy ladies who have very expensive machines, I'd never buy it from a craft store. I can't imagine anyone would do this without a dealership behind you that offers mastery courses. Viking just came out with a new machine that's just under their TOL machine. I don't see how they can come out with these machines and then cancel dealership contracts.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RDM
Could Pfaff be moving to another dealer in your area or were sales low?
Viking is sold at Joanne - I wonder if they will pick up Pfaff now. This company cannot afford to lose an entire metropolitan area. Allthough - I did drive to Chico when I bought my GQ.

Your machine is most likely made in Germany and yes, they are good machines. Even the new ones are NOT bad machines. I compare them to the Black and Decker products. They went from German-built and lasting to the outsourced shorter-lived product. Not really bad, just not as good as they once were.

BTW: Meissner's will continue to service, support, and warranty Pfaffs and Vikings.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by RDM
Could Pfaff be moving to another dealer in your area or were sales low?
Viking is sold at Joanne - I wonder if they will pick up Pfaff now. This company cannot afford to lose an entire metropolitan area. Allthough - I did drive to Chico when I bought my GQ.

Your machine is most likely made in Germany and yes, they are good machines. Even the new ones are NOT bad machines. I compare them to the Black and Decker products. They went from German-built and lasting to the outsourced shorter-lived product. Not really bad, just not as good as they once were.

BTW: Meissner's will continue to service, support, and warranty Pfaffs and Vikings.
This is what I'm wondering too. Will Pfaff start appearing at Joanne's too? :thumbdown:
Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I don't see how they can come out with these machines and then cancel dealership contracts.
It sounded like Meissner's was not fulfilling their quota - so I'm sure they have contracts lined up with other entities. (Joanne??)

Viking probably felt the pressure from the new Janome Horizon to come up with a comparable unit. Time to market, price points, all sorts of concepts play into such a decision.

And seriously, after reading the QB for a while, there will be plenty of "our kind" (and I mean that most affectionately) who go out to investigate the new gizmo and just "gotta have it" don't you think? (I know coz I have 4 machines but only 2 hands.) lol
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I don't see how they can come out with these machines and then cancel dealership contracts.
It sounded like Meissner's was not fulfilling their quota - so I'm sure they have contracts lined up with other entities. (Joanne??)

Viking probably felt the pressure from the new Janome Horizon to come up with a comparable unit. Time to market, price points, all sorts of concepts play into such a decision.

And seriously, after reading the QB for a while, there will be plenty of "our kind" (and I mean that most affectionately) who go out to investigate the new gizmo and just "gotta have it" don't you think? (I know coz I have 4 machines but only 2 hands.) lol
I can't see how they wouldn't meet a quota considering the amount of sewing machines that go out their door. What I mean is, of course they'll always be those of us who spend lot of $ on sewing machines. But those people won't be plunking down 5 grand at Joanne's, they'll go through a reputable dealer who offers support and classes.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
RDM

I believe in dealers. I found my machine was well taken care of by dealer who knew it best, plus had great new owner classes. I'd hate to see that go away. I'd travel to get that kind of service. This probably explains why my dealer started carrying multiple brands along with Pfaff outside the parent company. Very concerning for us and our special dealers.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I hadn't heard this yet. :( I have my mom's Viking Lily 550, which of course is an older model. I haven't heard yet whether our LQS/Viking dealer will be keeping or losing her contract.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I can't see how they wouldn't meet a quota considering the amount of sewing machines that go out their door.
They wrote "These changes in manufacturing and distribution of their products made is difficult for us to continue selling their products at the level they had come to expect."

Maybe the company upped the quota. That was my interpretation. There is probably more to it.