Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: picture quilt

A while back, hum let me see, about a year ago or so, someone posted a picture of a LARGE cat. A tiger- lion, cougar,?? something along that line. It was cut into squares w/ black sashing.
    when you looked at it, it was like looking through a glass window. The sashing was the window panes. It was just gorgous. We would like to do something like it for a raffle for our local volunteer Fire Dept. I can't find it anywhere on the board. I know I had seen it here, as this is the only "board" I am on.
    Where oh where, do I find it?????? And do you mind if I copy your idea???
    Thanks in advance for all your help.

Billie G

Sorry, I am a newby and can't help you there. Hope you get a response, because that sounds like a neat quilt to make. :?

Blog Entries
    the technique of cutting panels into squares and then sashing them to resemble window panes has been around for some time. you can use that idea without feeling like you're stealing anything.

i hope whoever posted the picture that inspires you sees your question. she'd be thrilled to know how much you like it. :P :P

My teacher friend at Bernina calls that technique "fractured applique". It's really gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the technique of cutting panels into squares and then sashing them to resemble window panes has been around for some time. you can use that idea without feeling like you're stealing anything.

i hope whoever posted the picture that inspires you sees your question. she'd be thrilled to know how much you like it. :P :P
    This is really embarassing, as all I want is a picture to show the ladies @ the coffee shop. It is so hard to describe to them.

I told them I'd check to see if I could find the picture, print it & let them make up their minds if that is what we will do for the raffle.

Thanks everyone.
    Billie G

I am confused! Is this like a stained glass window?

Not a stained glass window-It was a picture of a veeery large cat (of the wild kind) & had like 1" sashing around the blocks.

ooops I just remembered- someone also posted a picture of a lovely flower garden. Same thing. Black sashing each square.

When you looked at it, it seemed that you were looking through a window, & the black sashing appeared to be the window panes.

Maybe I'm just not explaining it very well. But if I had a picture, I could show you. Ya right, that is what I am looking for, a picture!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Billie G

I wish I could help you, I tried a quick search and didn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Someone will find it

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I wish I could help you, I tried a quick search and didn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Someone will find it
    I did a search also. Maybe it would help if I could remember the "topic"??
    LOL

Is this what you mean? This isn't a cat of course. But I think it would get your point across.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/5856.page

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingTurtle
    Is this what you mean? This isn't a cat of course. But I think it would get your point across.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/5856.page
    LOL--I just printed that one off, to take to coffee shop today.

Thanks I really appreciated your help.

I knew you guys would come thru for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    fractured quilt- could also be a conversion quilt by Ricky Tims. i think that was the name. cut into strips and the strips moved over once , then sewn. then cut into strips the other way, moved and sewn. looks fractured.