Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced not quilted table runners >

Pieced not quilted table runners

Pieced not quilted table runners

Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I made 6 table runners for craft shows and came home with 6 ! They were topstitched, not quilted. Shoppers did not hardly even look. Guess they were not interested. Same with aprons-another vendor had 30 or more, beautifully done, did not sell one !
Old 11-29-2015, 08:59 AM

when I make 'quick' ones, I do not use batting. But, I will often back them with a flannel so they are a bit thicker and do not slip. This keeps them thin enough that a wobbly wine glass set on the edge will not tip. But I always topstitch (with a decorative stitch in about a 1/2") and usually do a couple lines somewhere around the center (depending on the print) so they stay nice after washing. I only use batting and quilting on ones that are used more for decorative use than for practical use. I do use a very thick batting for runners to be used for Christmas scenes because the decorations sitting in them looks nicer in the fluffiness. Again, if you are selling them, you need to consider your time, effort and costs - can you cover it and make a profit?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I have been making table runners, placemats, etc. for more years than I care to count, and I have always done at least a minimum of quilting because I feel that they look better. I use Warm & Natural cotton batting, which is a fairly low loft batting, and so easy to machine quilt. If I were making pot holders, I would use a thermal batting, like Ther More (sp) batting. I even made a long table runner for my DS and DDIL's credenza, as the heat from their coffee pot was affecting the finish. You don't need to do extensive quilting on these items, just enough to keep them flat. I also "birth" them, so I won't have to add binding, but I stitch about 1/2" on the outside, which imitates binding.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 AM

My daughter does craft shows as a vendor ( local) and I will throw in a few tablerunners. In past years most things have sold....hers and mine. This year- so far...a stalemate - lots of lookers, touchers, commentors, but very few buyers. Last one coming up in a week....that will be interesting to observe--- hopefully just a few things to pack up and bring back home at the end of the day.....
Old 11-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I've mad a few for myself, mostly as gifts, and I use a thin batting, but I also quilt mine. I don't make them overly wide either, so there shouldn't be a problem with he width over powering the table.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I have always used Hobbs cotton batting in my table runners.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:12 PM

One of the runners I made was requested to be really flat, and I did not think of just leaving out the batting. Instead I pressed medium interfacing to the back of the top before quilting. No wrinkles when it is washed that way. I hate to iron unless I am making something, lazy I know, but there it is.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:48 AM

I like to use my scrap batting for table runners and placemats. The iron on batting tape is great for joining the batting pieces. I'm not impressed by the runners without batting.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM

I also use my batting scraps in runners, but I zig-zag the pieces together. I use W&N. I've never had a problem with glasses tipping, or with hot bowls burning the table.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 AM

I don't think I would care for the runners without batting unless it was a dresser scarf or something like that. I don't think I have seen one with no batting though so I can't say for sure whether I would like it or not. I know cost is relevant for most of us but I think I would use scraps of batting or make less runners. If you was selling them, then of course you have to up the price & consumers are looking for bargains. Kind of a catch 22 thing. People that don't quilt, just don't get it. They have no idea what things cost to piece &/or quilt or the time involved.