Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Blog Entries
    love it all; haven't felt I've mastered most of the the techniques yet, and that's why I convinced myself from the start to also do fmq. (Not good enough workmanship to justify the cost of sending it out for quilting - may as well practice beginning fmq and learn that as I go too). It's all so addicting!!!
    Mavis

Piecing only!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
    love it all; haven't felt I've mastered most of the the techniques yet, and that's why I convinced myself from the start to also do fmq. (Not good enough workmanship to justify the cost of sending it out for quilting - may as well practice beginning fmq and learn that as I go too). It's all so addicting!!!

Ditto!! I've only been quilting for about a year & learn something new each time I attempt a quilt. Some good, some not so good, some a happy accident.
    “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”

~ Dr. Seuss

I definitely like the piecing better. I can and do machine quilt , but since this long arm business stuff has taken off, I have to say its been easier than I thought to part with the quilting process. I do quilt walllhangings and baby quilts, largely because I can manage them on my machine and it's not worth it to me to send them out, but I really only quilt to get them done and move on to the next top!

Blog Entries
    Not counting BINDING, I love all of the process of making a quilt!
    Sadiemae

Fabric selection seems to be my favorite part! Just look at my "Fabric Museum". Then I do love piecing the blocks and have something wonderful come out of them...
    I don't like the quilting as much, but that is only because I haven't done it much. And binding... don't like binding as I don't have the patience for hand work. But as my machine binding gets better, I like it better too! Especially since then I have a completed project!

I love designing a top for someone special and making it just for them. I also just love piecing tops and watching as the design unfolds on my wall. I don't mind cutting, it just can be hard on my body at times so I have to take it in stages and take breaks from it when I need them.
    I don't mind the quilting, but it is very hard on my body, so I can't say I enjoy it either. I can't afford sending them out for LAing so I try to keep it fairly simple and do everything by machine. Due to my fibro and arm and neck injury, there is no hand sewing possible for me that takes more than about 5-10 minutes.
    Oh, and I don't do the batting and backing thing, it's too hard for me, I just use fleece as backing and it works well in my world. So far no one has complained!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I am a natural born shopper so the looking at fabric is a delight to me. I like to cut my pieces then try to lay them out to see how they will look different ways, that makes it like a jigsaw puzzle with no idea what the end should look like as I have yet to use a real pattern to create anything. The quilting is the hardest part for me. I have a basic Brother LS2125i that I love but it's not really made for doing the "quilting" and so far I'm too new at my craft to send my work out to have it done by someone else to look professional. But I still have great fun and that's what I took up quilting for to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    Even though I don't enjoy the quilting part, somehow I just have to do the whole thing myself. I don't think I would feel as good about the end result if someone else did the quilting. Every stitch has to be my work.
    This is me, too. Plus, I'll never get better if I don't make myself practice!

The quilt store near my work has a longarm you can rent time on, after taking a class. I will probably do that some day. For now my binding is worse than my quilting so I'm focusing on that! I can do SITD well enough to get by.

I love to walk in a store, see a fabric and it immediately becomes a quilt in my mind. I then go to the drawing board and draw the pattern decide how much material I need then purchase if needed. Continue to the last stitch on the binding, I love it all. Quilting is my challenge right now. Just discovered more that SID. Only have a regular machine.

I love it all also. I do not quilt well on my DSM but I love hand quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    I love looking at and buying fabrics, looking at patterns in magazines and online, I love piecing the top, but I kind of stall once the top is done! I can only quilt my own if they are baby/lap size, just have a regular sewing machine. Just starting one that's gonna be for my son's wedding, planning on sending it out to be quilted. Going to be all blue dresdens.
    Oooh... I can't wait to see that! Eons ago I made an all navy blue Dresden Plate quilt for my bed. I used it till it was in tatters! But I loved the look of it before it bit the dust. Please post yours when you get it going, OK?
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Termi View Post
    I love picking out a pattern and playing with different fabric and figuring out which ones to use. I'd have to say I like the whole process, except of course ripping out.
    We all already know I'm straight up nutty as a fruitcake (LOL!) so it won't surprise y'all to know that I don't even mind ripping out (unless I've made my stitches entirely too small & can't get the ripper blade under them). I find it kind of relaxing. It's a darn good thing I don't mind ripping since I end up having to do it so often... LOL!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

My favorite part is standing in front of my longarm and having the quilt talk to me ad tell me what it wants quilted on it! It is totally me getting to be creative, not following a pattern someone else has come up with. I do enjoy choosing a pattern and the perfect materials to use in each pattern and sewing it together. Not in love with cutting and I hate the hand work. Love giving my quilts to folks that love and appreciate them - and will USE them!!

I love it all but the most challenging part for me is the quilting since I do not have a long arm and have neck issuesl.
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn View Post
    The part I don't enjoy is the basting the top to be ready for quilting. I find it tedious. The love the rest of the quilting process from picking a pattern, material, piecing and quilting (either tie, hand or machine). Are there basting elves?
    LOL!!! That's probably my least favorite part, too!!!

I do enjoy the piecing - from the very beginning of seeing a vision, picking out the fabric, and turning it into it's final project.

And if anyone ever finds those basting elves - send them my way, please!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
    My favorite part is standing in front of my longarm and having the quilt talk to me ad tell me what it wants quilted on it! It is totally me getting to be creative, not following a pattern someone else has come up with. I do enjoy choosing a pattern and the perfect materials to use in each pattern and sewing it together. Not in love with cutting and I hate the hand work. Love giving my quilts to folks that love and appreciate them - and will USE them!!
    I wish I had your talent. My quilts never talk to me and I never know how to quilt them. My grandmother must have had the same problem I have,because all her quilts were either //// lines or baptist fans (done with a string)

I love the creating part of making the top. Sometimes I make myself do a complicated quilting pattern when machine quilting, just to keep myself interested. If it were not for me owning a long-arm, I would probably just make the tops.

I love everything about making a quilt - Start to finish.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I may not "love" it all but I need to do it all to say that the quilt was made by me. I love the design aspect - playing with layouts, coloring grids with crayons (and letting my inner 5-year-old come out and play). I love picking fabrics from my stash to see if I can make it without buying more. I'm OK with the cutting and the piecing, even the pressing. What I like the least is putting the sandwich together. Now that I am getting a quilting machine I'm ever so excited about the FMQ process. Even the binding is a breeze and a relaxing thing to do while watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
    I love all of it. The only thing I don't like is if my machine acts up, but then who isn't.
    I agree! I love all of it, even the basting part. Once it is basted together, it actually LOOKS like a quilt. I do hate it when my machine acts up, which it does once in a while. (I think it does that just to get my blood pressure up) lol

I like to hand quilt........hand sewing the binding & choosing the fabric & pattern. My quilt tops don't
    talk to me about the quilting design. (worst part) I'm glad they talk to someone.

Blog Entries
    I dont like basting, realy dont like quilting but visually impaired so its. Difficult for me! Have been sending sstuff out but since she has 10 of my projects im worried about picking them up and getting the bill!! Going to try quilting again, crosshatch ing and SIDm. Maybe i can do some!!

I like doing both. I wish I were better with the quilting but trust that will come with more practice. I don't even mind basting that much.
    Pat

I love piecing but maybe I would like quilting too if I had a decent machine.
    Anna Quilts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast