Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing While Traveling >

Piecing While Traveling

Piecing While Traveling

Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 AM

i use more rubber maid in my sewing room than kitchen
Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 AM

..or, if you have a goodwill or resale shop that you might visit....and repurpose something on one of the shelves there...I have a few "take-alongside" from there.....
Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
I've always used smaller Ziploc baggies inside of larger Ziploc baggies. That way I can tuck them in just about any suitcase or travel bag along with having them out on the train/car/boat/plane.
this is what I do too. I have a little quilted case that holds my scissors and also doubles as a pin cushion and needle holder. I don't use paper templates, I applique with the freezer paper method so all my fabric pieces already have the freezer paper adhered. However, I sometimes have FP templates I want to reuse so I will tuck those into an envelope. Yeah sure a few get messed up or bent but I have no problem sacrificing a few of those. I'd rather have the travel work than sit idly while traveling and nothing makes the travel time or layover time or waiting time go faster then having a bit of handwork to do.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 AM

I use pizza boxes. My boxes are new (from the pizza place I like the most), the manager has given me one of each size. I love them, they fit on a shelf on top of each other (from small to large). I also have some on end (like a book), when not in use. The pizza boxes are easy to travel with in the car. I do only take a smaller sized box on a plane (people look to see if you're brings dinner with you, but it fits on the tray table so I can work). Good luck finding something that works for you.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:00 AM

I did a lot of travel when I worked. I would take a few pieces in my purse tote bag will I waited for my flight I would hand piece blocks. I would carry the pieces in several plastic bags, smaller ones for each piece and a larger one for the needle and tread, dental floss (thread cutter) and pins. I then had a larger bag to put the finished blocks into my suitcase when I got to the travel site. Usually when I got home all the pieces I took with me were done. Now that I am retired, I take pieces with me in pencil cases boxes. It also contains my needle and thread etc. I then have a larger plastic tote that I put the finished pieces in till I get home. Works great. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I use a scrapbook tote. It's 12" by 12", is one inch deep, has latches that lock it shut and a carrying handle. It's perfect for my to-go handwork projects.
Yep even found one that is 4" deep that hold, literally, everything!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 AM

Lots of good ideas here! Sewnoma: about what size are your fit together boxes? They sound interesting.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I'm thinking that if the project isn't "tall enough" to fill up a small tote or box, you could put some bubblewrap or similar on top to make it stay flat so it doesn't slide around and wrinkle.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:43 PM

To keep fabric pieces and blocks from getting wrinkled when transporting, I sandwich the fabric between two pieces of card stock or tag board (or similar thick paper) clipped together with binder clips or paper clips. The fabric cannot slide or fold or get messed up and I can put it in plastic bags or in a case without worry.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:01 PM

What you use depends a bit on how much space you have for containment while traveling. I found a number of different sizes of containers where they sell fishing equipment to be very useful for portable needlecrafting. The bags (soft sided) or hard plastic containers usually have adjustable insides so you can make space for your tools, finished and unfinished pieces. Now that we are past the holidays, the sports stores will start gearing up for fishing, so you may find a good selection that works for you.