Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pillow Cases >

Pillow Cases

Pillow Cases

Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Living the Dream
27" for the body is fine if the pattern is non-directional, like the deep blue snowman and reindeer pillowcase.

But if there is a directional picture and you want the picture to run the length of the pillowcase, like the light blue snowman/reindeer pillowcase or the birthday pillowcase, you'll need to sew the cuff to the selvage edge. You'll need 45" of fabric (instead of 27").

There will be fabric left over along the other selvage.
I have a fabric I would like to run directionally the other way, and am wondering if there is a "correct" way to place it. It may seem like a silly question, but I'm stuck!

:roll: Thanks for your help

both going one way?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131251[/ATTACH]

both going the other way?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131252[/ATTACH]

facing each other?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131253[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131246.jpe   attachment-131247.jpe   attachment-131248.jpe  
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM

I've made so many of these. Matter of fact, the Toy Story one that I made for my DGD was the one thing that made her sleep for the first time in her "big girl bed"! My son said that it was "genius" on my part. Little did he know it was just from watching a video on Missouri Quilts.

I've probably made a dozen of these for various kids and have a bunch to make for Christmas now.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 PM

I like the tute on Twiddletails blog! But I don`t like skimpy cases either so I make the body 2" longer (29") Love not having raw edges inside, I don`t have a serger.
http://twiddletails.blogspot.com/201...llowcases.html
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM

I wuse 3/4 yd for the body and 1/3 yd for the other part you can go to YouTube and see the demo just type in sausage pillowcase thers's a little bigger but not that much.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mypatookis
27" for the body is fine if the pattern is non-directional, like the deep blue snowman and reindeer pillowcase.

But if there is a directional picture and you want the picture to run the length of the pillowcase, like the light blue snowman/reindeer pillowcase or the birthday pillowcase, you'll need to sew the cuff to the selvage edge. You'll need 45" of fabric (instead of 27").

I have a fabric I would like to run directionally the other way, and am wondering if there is a "correct" way to place it. It may seem like a silly question, but I'm stuck!

For the fabric to run directionally the other way, you need to sew the cuff on the selvage edge, not the cut edge. In every picture, the cuff will be sewn to the cut edge. It doesn't look like there is enough fabric to sew the cuff to the selvage edge. :-(
Old 11-21-2010, 03:37 PM

These make great gift bags. I've made flannel ones for the little guys this year. Will put their presents in them and tie with ribbon. I hate the waste of wrapping paper.

Pat
Old 11-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by barbsmith
Check out the tutorial at missouriquiltco.com

They have a great one.
They have the best tutorials I have seen yet on You Tube!
t
Old 11-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by barbsmith
Check out the tutorial at missouriquiltco.com

They have a great one.
They have the best tutorials I have seen yet on You Tube!
t
Old 11-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mypatookis

For the fabric to run directionally the other way, you need to sew the cuff on the selvage edge, not the cut edge. In every picture, the cuff will be sewn to the cut edge. It doesn't look like there is enough fabric to sew the cuff to the selvage edge. :-(
I guess I mislead you. I am happy with the way the direction of the fabic is going... just don't know which way to face them... going toward the bottom, going toward the edge, or having the main and edge fabric facing one another. Am I making sense? Probably not :oops:
Old 11-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Here is something I like to do for my grandchildren. I find fabric that matches their personalities or activities --sports, music. Then I make them a travel pillowcase.

Body - 29" wide x 18 1/2" long
Accent piece - 2 1/2" x 29"
Cuff - 1/4 yard or 9"

You make it the same way that you do the larger one.

I buy a 14" x 20" Travel Pillow. The only place that I have been able to find them locally is Target. Someone told me they found them at Walgreen. Walmart does not carry them any more.