Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pin Basted then......I cried >

Pin Basted then......I cried

Pin Basted then......I cried

Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 AM

I know how you feel. I did the same thing I just put a large lable to correct it. I was once told by a very smart quilter that every quilt has a story behind it.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 AM

I always use safety pins so I don't stick myself! A lot of times the backs don't quite work, cut a little here, a little there, you'll be the only one who knows!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
Well almost cried...I left that nasty hunk of fabric all alone for the rest of this day! Not going near it again until I cool off.:oops: :oops:

I was just finishing my pin basting a queen size quilt and discovered the last corner was crooked and the backing doesn't cover it. Why didn't I notice it was too long somewhere else....grrrrrrr :thumbdown:

I am going to get that pin helper gadget before I continue. My finger is bloody from pinning. :cry:

All is not lost! I LOVE pieced backs! My most special quilts all have them :)
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Normacharlie
I always use safety pins so I don't stick myself! A lot of times the backs don't quite work, cut a little here, a little there, you'll be the only one who knows!
I did use safety pins - closing them was the problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 AM

I use a real long pair of tweezers to help close the pin. No sore fingers. I also add many pins and then close them all at the same time.
Add a label to that corner as if you meant to.
XOXOXO Subee
Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Well almost cried...I left that nasty hunk of fabric all alone for the rest of this day! Not going near it again until I cool off.:oops: :oops:

I was just finishing my pin basting a queen size quilt and discovered the last corner was crooked and the backing doesn't cover it. Why didn't I notice it was too long somewhere else....grrrrrrr :thumbdown:

I am going to get that pin helper gadget before I continue. My finger is bloody from pinning. :cry:
I use a grapefruit spoon. Works very well. That would be cheaper than the thingy and more so if you have one on hand even. Mary
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 AM

[quote=TonnieLoree]Can you piece in enough to make it fit. Even if it is a different color, it is the back. Put a label over that area.
-----------------------------------------
That was my idea also. Put a large, lovely label on it giving who it's for, who it's from, the date and where it was made. Then put batting behind it and make it look like a design area.

When life hands you a lemon, make a lemon cream pie!!! And use the skin for flavoring cookies.

Now go and make that quilt end up as lovely as you saw it in your mind, and show it to us. Sounds neat.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 AM

You have to learn to "finegle" that means a method other than that aske for to correct those OMG errors. I had put my first border on my first ever pieced top and as I was ironing it, I found a little tiny slit just out of the border where I had cut the square when pulling out stitches. ( i did that a lot :( ). I ran and found a little peice of iron on tape and fixed it. Cannot see it at all. Hoorah....a finegle. :lol:
Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 AM

I love the look of pieced backs. What about unpinning that end of the quilt and sewing a section of another fabric the entire width. Hope that make sense. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Use rubber finger for pinning. Maybe you can sew a piece of the backing on without unpinning.