Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pincushions >

Pincushions

Pincushions

Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM

My favorite pin holder is one I made myself. I got a pretty saucer from the second hand store, and glued some ceramic magnets to the bottom. It's pretty, never spills, and I don't have to stab the pins in like a normal pin cushion (I don’t know why that's hard for me, but it really is!)
Old 05-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Horse hair and human hair were the preferred choice of my youth -- the natural oils found on the hairs were said to prevent the onset of rust. There was a slight odor, however, which I, for one, found offputting.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

i think the most creative one i made was a roasted turkey for the pincushion swap here. I also made round ones, two stacked and put a christmas tree on top with presents and bows. have fun in your challenge.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

My favorite pin cushions to use are bigger ones-so the pins don't poke out the bottom. I fill mine with crushed walnut shells. I have lots of pin cushions in various shapes and sizes. Dress form one, a wool cinnamon roll, chickens, cup & saucer, campers, pumpkin, pear, apple, tomato, stacked squares, a little chair, etc. Also have a round magnetic one.

If you want to make one, perhaps check out Pinterest, and also google pin cushions. Lots of cute patterns out there. Maybe make a dress form one? A funky chicken? Amy Bradley has one called "Ms. Pinny Cush". Heather Bailey has a great elephant, and a turtle too.
If you do make one, would like to see a picture if possible.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:51 PM

The most creative one I've made was for my husband, who needed his own when he agreed to help me with our sewing business. It's a dragon's eye. After he had tried my different pincushions, he preferred the crushed walnut shells in his.

And I just made about 20 pincushions from little picture frames that I got from the thrift store. They have the hardware removed from the back, so it will sit flat on the table. They are stuffed with polyester batting, and have 2 layers of chip board, so the pins won't stick into the surface below.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:35 PM

the ones I use are either my magnetic (always take one of those to classes! & have one at the cutting table) and the one at the machine is one that has the attached thread catcher. There are so many cute ones and I always seem to get at least one at a retreat, but frankly don't use them.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM

I guess even with all I have...I'd be sending my T shirt (just have to be careful for the "ladies") or the arm of my chair. Seems they get used more than all the pretty ones put together. Not much help am I ? !!!!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
I guess even with all I have...I'd be sending my T shirt (just have to be careful for the "ladies") or the arm of my chair. Seems they get used more than all the pretty ones put together. Not much help am I ? !!!!
I seem to use my t-shirts more than my pincushions too....and I have several pincushions for use and some for decoration!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:56 AM

I have made and bought all kinds. My favorite tho is one i made.

lol No that's not mine...I copied pic off of google. Its big enough, the smaller ones just get lost around me! And it holds stuff so i don't have to be looking all the time. I can't remember what I filled it with, most likely poly. Good luck with your challenge. There are so many different ones on Pinterest... I would be hard put to come up with an original one.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 AM

I have a chicken pin cushion but I have a friend who uses a stuffed sock,,,so they range from the ridiculous to the sublime!