Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pincushions >

Pincushions

Pincushions

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 AM

Don't use them as I have one cat that thinks it's a toy for him to pull out the pins.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:45 AM

Fun question. I liked your answers-especially the t-shirt and chair arm-never thought of that. I have a window ledge lined with cute things, tomatoes, hearts, an old fashioned hat and a court jester from Indonesia. I use one tomato that I marked between the green threads with a Sharpie to designate sewing machine needles by size since I endeavor to use the right needle for any given task. I have another tomato to use for hand sewing needles. But, the pins. They reside on three magnetic pin caddies. However, my husband, who does the vacuuming thinks my favorite spot for pins is on the floor.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:47 AM

My favorite pin cushion is actually a 5" x 7" picture frame. I removed the glass, of course, and took out the folding stand. I covered the stand with eight (8!) layers of quilt batting which I had cut to size. On top of that I laid a piece of sueded fabric and taped everything to the stand with duct tape. I mounted the stand with its batting a fabric covering into the frame. It stands there nicely next to my sewing machine. I can stitch along and pull a pin and stab it into the frame without even looking at it. The frame sits nicely on the cutting table when I need it there.

I used a plain frame, but I made one for a teacher friend using a frame which I decorated with buttons and bits of lace held in place with hot glue. Several of the ladies in the quilting classes I've attended have commented very favorably about how handy the picture frame pin cushion would be.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:48 AM

Default Favorite pincushion

I love my fall pumpkin pincushion. It has sand in the bottom and wool in the top. A lady that raises sheep shared bags of wool collected when her sheep were sheared. The pins get the lanolin (I think that is the name) from the sheep wool to make them glide through fabric easier. Have fun and let us know what you make.
Attached Thumbnails my-pumpkin-pincushion.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 04:11 AM

Just made one yesterday. I seem to be hunting my little pin cushion all the time, so I made big heavy one! Block of wood, topped with a sock of sawdust (from hubbies shop) and covered. So far so good, it doesnt move around.[ATTACH=CONFIG]550529[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160522_071011.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 AM

Default Pincushions

I hope my pic shows up. It's my current favorite pincushion. Bet you all know what it is!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 05-22-2016, 04:57 AM

I knit round ones that have five knitted layers that are made into five different sized circles that form a round pincushion. The smallest in the center holds my seam ripper. My scissors are held between the layers. It is knitted using wool, after years of use, the wool becomes slightly felted. I also have one which holds my most used knitting needles, crochet hooks, yarn needle, and scissors when knitting or crocheting.

I frequently give one of these to new quilters.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:49 AM
pal

My favorite is the magnetized one from the car store that looks like a large ashtray. I put a plastic box full of pins on it and sticks. Then, when I have to travel I just put the top on the plastic box and grab the whole thing and go!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 AM

Here are 2 of my favorite pincushions. I couldn't get the link for the second one to post. But if you search pinterest or google it you can find it. I haven't made either one yet but plan to make both. I don't knit so I will have to figure out how to make the granny one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/woolly...us/5942953261/ and granny's a pain in the butt pincushion.
Also I think there have been several pincushion exchanges on here, you could search them also.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 AM

My favorite pin cushion right now is actually a small round pillow about 8 inches across made in a lovely drapery fabric. I picked it up at a thrift store for $1.00 and it has barely been used. Its filled with poly and I love it. I can put as many pins in it as I want and it fits perfectly on my cutting table. I have many other pincushions too but I really like the poly filled ones the best.