Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pink fabric and new Mom's >

Pink fabric and new Mom's

Pink fabric and new Mom's

Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM

I love pink! But I do understand that not everyone thinks the way I do. LOL. You have come up with a good solution, I think.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 AM

I love pink so you can always send pink fabric my way. My sewing room walls are pink but I have never made a pink quilt. I think I just may have to do something about that
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 AM

I'm in the process of completing a mainly pink quilt for my grandaughter. It's not "that" shade of pink (meaning breast cancer awarness) and has pale lime green as well. Still it's easy to understand a family that's dealing with breast cancer would think that way.

You've come up with a perfect solution.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I don't understand the aversion to pink because of breast cancer. Are you sure that's actually an issue? Why not ask the DDIL if she would rather not receive a pink quilt? (I bet she says she would love one.) It's not my favorite color, and I seldom use it (despite my current avatar), but I would think that the breast cancer ribbons would strike a happy chord, in that they represent the fight against the disease.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM

I like to use mint green, pale yellow, and aqua for baby quilts. Usually (IMHO) if the sex is known, the baby gets either mostly blue or mostly pink at the baby shower. I had 3 girls and liked to dress them in many colors. However, my last baby was a boy and I would never have put pink on him. Crazy, huh.
Sue
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 AM

Maybe you could take some of the pinks and include them in a mixed color palette.

When I was growing up, my mom would dress my sister and me in matching (style) dresses. My sister has blue eyes, so she almost always got blue. My eyes were gray/hazel, so I almost always got pink. I hated pink!

When planning our baby's room, I also chose blue walls (think sky blue) and a wide variety of colors, for everything else - bright reds, blues, yellow, greens . . . .

Last edited by Neesie; 10-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
even though I am rather sick of the pink ribbon stuff - I love pink.
Same here! Sometimes I wish I could watch football games on a black & white tv.... I have so many pink t-shirts I can make a king size quilt from just the backs (because the fronts have stains & holes )
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 AM

Honor your DDIL taste. My daught dressed her girls in different styles and colors than the traditional frilly pink for girls. When I made dressed or blankets I made then in styles and colors that she liked. However in the beginning I made pink blankets so everyone would know it was a girl!!!!! Toiu can mix the pink colors with others to make unique quilts!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I used to love pink. Now just wearing it causes a great deal of stress. Everyone always asks me about cancer.

I never liked any color being held hostage for any cause. I'm going to have to go naked soon if this stuff doesn't stop.

I like your idea
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Pink says many things to me. Yes it is the color for the fight against breast cancer, but it is so many other things too: baby girls, wild roses, bubble gum, strawberry gelato, a new crayon, a ballerina tutu, pretty stationary, a beautiful dawn, a favorite cashmere sweater, a gorgeous nightgown, a prom dress that sparkles and of course Fairy wings
:-).
Love the way you think!!! I saw so many shades of pink as I read your post.....thanks for the slide show