Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pink fabric and new Mom's >

Pink fabric and new Mom's

Pink fabric and new Mom's

Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM

I think the adversion to pink by some of us Breast Cancer patients is because we are "pinked" to death with all the things people buy as a way of "helping" us with our battle. 99.9% of the Pink Ribbon stuff is made overseas and none of the money goes to cancer research. I've even had to tell my husband to stop because he was making me crazy with all the stuff that just collects dust. I've never been a fan of pink. My Ma wanted me to be a "girly-girl", I'm a Tom-boy to the core! Saved my allowance and had my long Shirley Temple curls cut off because they didn't fit up under my baseball cap and catchers mask!! I make quilts for Relay for Life, not one of them has ever been a pink quilt.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM

I am also a breast cancer survivor (Two times) and I really don't have any strong feelings about pink one way or the other. I don't have any pink ribbons or wear pink often.
When my baby boy was born 43 years ago, all my friends "knew" I was having a girl and bought me lots of pink for my shower. Well, he was a boy and wore lots of pink for a long time. He grew up to be a strong, manly police officer.
I would also ask you DIL right out what she thinks about the quilt. She might surprise you.