Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinning layers. How big is your table?

Pinning layers. How big is your table?

I was thinking of getting a Ping-Pong table rather than kneeling on the floor..

My quilts are usually Queen size, and that's difficult enough but if I want to sew

a King size I'm wondering if the floor is the only way, or might a ping pong table

raised to counter height prove to be easier?

Share how you manage sizable quilts,

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I have an old steel frame with a large sheet of MDF board on top, as I also used to make curtains and could roll out the whole width and length of the fabric, and now quilts. Made cutting so much easier. So yes, if you have room, a ping-pong table would be great, and if not long enough, just do as I did with the MDF sheet.

How about a couple of lightweight plastic folding tables that, when folded, can rest against a wall or under a bed?

i think a ping pong table would be a great way to go if you have the room for one, i thought about it but i don't have the room i do mine this way https://youtu.be/iw4sibuP8n4 i don't make queen size quilts mine are 60ish by 70quilts this works for me
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

I have one of the cutting tables like are sold at JAF with the sides that fold down. Mind you, the sides are never down, lol. I pin from baby up to king size quilts on this table. I use the big binder clips that you can get at the office supply store. I start in the center of the quilt laying out the backing and clamping that in place. Follow with batting and clamp it and then the top and clamp that. I pin about a hand-width apart in each direction. Unclamp and slide the whole quilt sandwich every which way until I'm able to clamp and pin the entire quilt.

It's tedious and tiring to do a king size quilt this way but it sure as heck beats crawling around on the floor!

Currently I have borrowed two big tables that will take the width of double curtains and a drop of 104 inches (they have taken over the conservatory) I am tall and these tables are higher than counter-height so I have no bending at all and I can sort of lean on them when my back is tired. When I am finished with the curtains and basting up all the big quilts I have to give the tables back. Will miss 'em.

For my drapery/upholstery business I use a 2 piece collapsible ping pong table. Its great for cutting fabric. and when Not in use I fold it up and wheel it out of way. When up you can even drape a flannel sheet over it and make a quilt board. I bought mine online from Walmart.

I slapped my forehead.. Yes! you have it figured out. So now I wonder if I can find a steel frame and bypass the ping pong expense. Did you have your steel frame made for you?

Thank you so much .. what a good idea !

Hmm, PMahowald, being able to wheel it out of the way is a nice feature. I like that idea. thanks for sharing.

Jim bought me two 30 x 72 tables. They fold in half so I can put them in back of the couch when not in use. I love them! Only $62. for both.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 03-21-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    Currently I am using my QSnap floor frame to thread baste my quilts. I have done a single bed size by moving it around the frame. The next quilt is going to be a queen size so I will see how it goes.

I use an old dining room table. But I helped a friend pin a huge quilt at her house on a ping pong table. The ping pong table was nice and big. I wish I had room for one.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I use two floor boards on my dining room table, some people use swimming pool noodles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

This is the Sharon Schamber way.......

Wow! thanks everybody. So many creative ideas and alternatives. Glad I asked. I think I'll forego buying a ping pong table and use one of these ideas. (I'll use the money for a sewing machine upgrade instead).
    Two thumbs up!!

My husband bought me two folding tables from Wal-Mart that are good and heavy. I now have a 72 x 60 pinning surface and I've just pinned my second queen sized quilt on it. A king wouldn't be much more work. More pins though...I also put my machine on a corner and do the quilting on the tables.

I have been using half a ping pong table as a cutting table and it seems that everything loose gets piled there. We are reconfiguring the basement so maybe, just maybe, I will try to keep it cleaned off and use it for sandwiching. I only do lap sized quilts so the size should be ok. Glad I read this post.

Blog Entries
    NJ Quilter. I have the same set-up. I have not done a king size on it but I'm sure it would work just like doing the queen. It's been a blessing not to have to crawl around the floor.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

I take advantage of the library where my guild meets. They have banquet tables that we set up for us to layer our quilts. I have also done the same thing at my church. I do not want to store a table or tables in my smallish condo.

So much more easier than crawling on the floor! and the use of table is ..... free!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    I use two floor boards on my dining room table, some people use swimming pool noodles:

I watched a you tube video with the pool noodles and now thatís all I use. If they arení Long enough, I tape more to one end. Bought 4 to be able to do this. Now I use the kitchen table and roll them. No sore back. Our guild uses two folding plastic tables from Costco and sets the legs into I believe 12 inch pvc piping we had cut. This raises the legs up to a great height for sandwiching.

Blog Entries
    I use a ping pong table and love it. It's great for cutting fabrics and previewing block arrangements. But a queen size quilt might hang over the sides a bit. However, kneeling on the floor is not an option for me since having a double knee replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post

Thank you for posting this link! It is such a sensible solution & I have some finished wood that will be perfect. I appreciate you sharing it.

I hadn't thought about a ping pong table but it's worth considering. I have a basement I could put it in and I could leave it set up down there. It sure would be nice for doing anything up to a queen size. Anything bigger goes to the LAer.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

When I was doing my quilts this way before I bought my Grace frame I used our large glass patio table, it's 80" x 42".

NJ Quilter--I do the same thing only I use my cutting table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    How about a couple of lightweight plastic folding tables that, when folded, can rest against a wall or under a bed?
    I have been doing exactly this until this week. I had two 48" tables end to end. They're 24" wide. I think they were much easier to work on than the floor. I had them on bed risers to get counter height. The hard plastic surface is nice for pinning, which I do with long, flat-head straight pins held with ear plugs.

Just this week I decided to upgrade my sewing area a bit and I bought two IKEA Alex drawer units, which are designed to hold up a desk. I bridged across them with a flat 24" door, making a table that's 80" long. My DH built some toe-kicks from 2x4's to raise the cabinets to the proper height. I'm still waiting for paint to dry on the door, so the jury is out on whether I'll miss the extra 16". I do like having the drawers and the extra space to walk around in my room. I'm not getting rid of the folding tables, however, because they're good for other things, too. They can also be placed side by side for a smaller square quilt.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast